Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: complete double patellectomy  (Read 1134 times)

Offline edina

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
complete double patellectomy
« on: February 26, 2007, 10:13:06 PM »
Hi. Since having both my kneecaps removed I am wondering what type of exercise I am allowed to do. I know swimming and walking is good, but what other type of exercises can I do. I know I'm not allowed to squat or kneel down, not that I can anyway. Is cycling allowed or maybe a mini trampoline, because I've heard that I'm not allowed to do any weight-bearing exercises. Can anybody help?

knee deep in Goo

Re: complete double patellectomy
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2007, 10:05:03 AM »
Best to ask your OS.   Are they putting in a plastic disc as a replacement implant?   While I know the back of my knee cap was resurfaced and a plastic plug was attached with cement with my TKR ..   I was wondering if they do anything like a implant when they remove the kneecap..   Seems such a drastic surgery.

Offline edina

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2007, 03:22:50 PM »
Best to ask your OS.   Are they putting in a plastic disc as a replacement implant?   While I know the back of my knee cap was resurfaced and a plastic plug was attached with cement with my TKR ..   I was wondering if they do anything like a implant when they remove the kneecap..   Seems such a drastic surgery.

No they are not putting anything in their place. I'm 42 and not looking forward to a lifetime of not being able to do things

Offline edina

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2007, 03:23:43 PM »
No they are not putting anything in their place. I'm 42 and not looking forward to a lifetime of not being able to do things

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2007, 03:27:01 PM »
Yikes...

I think theother's are right best to ask your OS what you can and cannot do.  The problem is that the patella acts as a fulkrum point in the knee joint.  Which is what allows your quads to have leverage to get up from the bent position. Without a kneecap.... your knee can't work like a normal knee does. :(   

I think you need  a good physiotherapist to give you some guidence on what you can and cannot do.

Goodluck,
Linney
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?

Offline edina

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2007, 10:31:12 PM »
Thanks Linney. I've got ages before I see my OS. I did go to a gym to see if they would have any idea on what I could do or not do, but they weren't much help. and this was at a large sports centre, so I'd have thought they might have had a good idea.
edina
x :D