Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Well On the Road to Recovery  (Read 3511 times)

Offline eccociqua

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Well On the Road to Recovery
« on: February 26, 2007, 09:44:48 PM »
Well, it has been 8 and a half weeks since my Tibial Plateau Fracture surgery, and I was finally given the OK for full weight bearing by the OS.  I had actually been on crutches longer than 8 weeks.  I injured my knee on December 9th, and due to the fact that I had no insurance, I didn't even get a prognosis until December 21st.  I didn't get have the surgery until December 29th.  One more week, and it would have been almost too late.  These past 3 months have definitely been the most challenging period of time in my life, but I am finally over the worst, and am now walking.  The physical therapist said I am making great process, and I have full ROM.  Probably another week of slight limping before I shed the limp, and get the leg back in decent walking shape.  For those of you out there with these kinds of injuries, HANG IN THERE!  Make sure that you follow every direction of the physical therapist, and ESPECIALLY your OS (if you needed surgery).  The first couple of months are the most crucial, and even though it is VERY frustrating, you will improve over time.  And trust me, once you are recovered, you will never take walking and mobility for granted again. 

Offline sarah1928

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: Well On the Road to Recovery
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2007, 01:34:28 PM »
Hi there

It's really great to hear that you've made a full recovery and everythink was a success. It's brilliant to hear of people happy endings, it gives us all a bit of hope.
Good luck with it for the future

Sarah

Offline shortyclairebear

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2007, 04:20:03 PM »
hi ecco! its so good to her how well you are doing and that your op has been a success!
it was so nice to read it as i m getting to the "frustrated" part at the moment after my recent op and can't wait to drive and get back to normal again! (im nearly 5 weeks post op)
good luck in the future!!

tke care,

claire
i had a motorcycle accident-landed on right knee!(mar 05)
...arthroscopy - 4th feb 06.
...VMO Advancement,LR+JMedial reefing - 24th jan 07.
...28 feb 07 i fell down 14 stairs.....more pain and stress!
...now at PT working on ROM and strenghening

Offline eccociqua

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2007, 04:36:00 PM »
Claire.  Thanks for the kind words.  I know how frustrating the healing process can be, but just remember, the more you do to protect the knee and take care of it, the easier the transition will be when you actually start walking.  I have been going to Physical Therapy for about a month, and I have been very dedicated to the exercises.  Because of that, I have almost all flexibility back, and even though leg has atrophied and feels significantly weaker, physical therapy helped me greatly with the transition.  Try to keep a positive outlook.  This injury has caused me to gain some wonderful perspective, and I will never take for granted the ability to walk.   And one other thing, I can now relate to anyone who is injured or disabled.  Good luck to all, and continue working on protecting the knee, and the rehabilitation exercises.  Just don't push it.  You must give your body the time it needs to recover in order to enjoy what has been temporarily taken away.  We all heal, it's just a matter of time and patience. 

Offline shortyclairebear

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2007, 10:26:07 PM »
hi again ecco!! like you i have also learned not to take the use of your legs and mobility for granted!!
i know what you say about the recovery and transition, is right, but at the stage i am at now i feel i want to get moving again!!  :D
IM VERY IMPATIENT!! LOL!
i miss driving the most and just being able to go out when i please to and walk the dog etc!! (HE TENDS TO WALK ME!!!)
i think i'll be abit more "flexi" when i get this brace ive got on, off!!
im doing/have done everything the os told me too and he was happy (when i last saw him) and i am so far that the op has been a success!!
keep me posted how you are getting on and well done for keeping so positive after a horrible situation!!
i have been positive so far but had a few off days last week but feel alot better today!!!

take care

claire x

Offline eccociqua

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2007, 08:57:50 PM »
Well, it has been around 9 months since my surgery, and besides some shooting pain at the sight of the fracture from time to time, my knee feels great.  I have been working out a lot, and squatting almost the same weight that I used to be able to squat.  I can also kneel, and do a lot of what I was able to do.  For example, a few weeks ago, I took a 7km hike up and down some very rough terrain.  At the end of the hike, my knee was hurting quite a bit, but the next day, it felt fine.  A few days ago, I sprinted to test the knee out, and it felt great.  Today, it feels even better.  My experience is the more exercise that one gets, the better the knee feels.  Of course, use pain as your guide.  Anyways, I just want to give all of you hope that one can recover from these horrible knee injuries.  It definitely takes a lot of time, but it well worth.

Offline shortyclairebear

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2007, 06:19:07 PM »
hi ecco!!
im so glad that things are going well for you!
i agree about the time thing,recovery can be so slow!
things are going well for me too,i never thought i would get to the stage i am at now a few months back!
take care,
claire x