Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: recurrent dislocation  (Read 865 times)

Offline bcmd73

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
recurrent dislocation
« on: February 26, 2007, 02:13:20 AM »
hi i was wondering can anyone help me i'm 20 years old and have been suffering from recurrent dislocation of the patella since i was a child in the last 3yrs my knee has dislocated over 20 times i have lost a considerable amount off the back of my patella and have undergon 2 knee ops i am going to see my os and last time i seen him he had suggested removal of the patella if it goes again i have been going through this for 3 years and just want to get my life back has anyone any suggestions on any ops or has anyone been through some thing simular please i really need some help on this one.

brianne

Re: recurrent dislocation
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2007, 03:15:53 AM »
Hi,

Sorry to hear that you have had so many dislocations.  A patellaectomy is a pretty drastic procedure from what I have heard and it is not reversable.  What surguries have you had done on your knee in the past?  I would recommend lots of other opinions before going a route as drastic and unreversable as a patellaectomy.

Brianne

Offline bcmd73

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2007, 03:30:08 AM »
hi ive had lateral release and i cant think of the name of the other one but the they fractored the tibula in 2 places with the tendon attached to one of them then switched them over so that the tentdon is streched and put a screw in it it had a 90% sucess rate but i am in that 10% i just so lost cause if it keeps dislocating my leg will cripple just dont no what to do

knee deep in Goo

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2007, 05:51:44 AM »
Have you talked to your OS about knee replacement ?

Offline bcmd73

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2007, 11:46:26 PM »
yeah ive asked bout it he said there no way they doing it cause i way to young i know there has to be a few ways i can go but i going down a very narrow path and running out of ideas

Offline Doc79316

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • OSCAR
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2007, 01:59:00 PM »
Hi,

You don't mention why your kneecap dislocates so much? I have maybe 10 dislocations every week and that's after a boatload of surgery. The reasons for this is that the back of my kneecap is just a spongy mess and I have a very shallow trochlea groove. Alo, I have a large Q angle.
So, even with very strong quads etc, my kneecap jumps ship laterally almost every day.

There are plenty of conservative and surgical options that your OS could consider. Please don't have a patellectomy ulness you are absolutely sure there is no other option. once it's done, there's no going back and if your knee joint is still unstable, there's nothing that can be done. This is because you'd be changing the mechanics of how your knee works. Tis type of surgery is for life and there's no going back.

If your kneecap needs stabilising, then maybe distal or proximal realignment procedures may work for you, or another simple tendon transfer, or PFJR or maybe resurfacing techniques could help.

Please get some more opinions before you make your decision.

Take care,

Laura x
Left knee surgery
08/06/02-L/Release
13/08/03-Fulkerson TTT
05/06/05-Stabilisation & Medialisation/Tendon Transfer
13/01/06-Proximal Hamstring Superior Stabilisation
06/03/06-RSD/CRPS diagnosed
20/07/06 + 03/04/07-Excision of scar tissue
29/05/15-Arthroscopy
02/03/20-Left transfemoral amputation