Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: TKR--Social Security Disability question  (Read 1968 times)

Offline Conemaugh

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
TKR--Social Security Disability question
« on: February 26, 2007, 12:14:45 AM »
I had 3 surgeries before having my TKR.  I am in my mid 30's but don't think I will be able to go back to my former work (warehouse, distribution), standing on concrete for 8-12 hours a day.  Would I be qualified for social security disability?  Since I think I will able to handle that type of work.  This is all I have ever done for work.  Does anyone know of people getting social security for this reason or similar?

knee deep in Goo

Re: TKR--Social Security Disability question
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2007, 02:45:02 AM »
You wont be able to collect.

Offline Teresa_S

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2007, 03:52:36 AM »
TKR is not usually considered a disability. You might qualify for some kind of voc rehab schooling to do another kind of work, but usually tkr patients are told they can go back to work in 4-6 weeks to 3-6 months, depending on the surgeon. I have been off work for over 4 years, started with a drunk drive hitting me, and ended up with a tkr, not right, and then a revision a couple of weeks ago. I had taken out disability insurance at work, but I am a Nurse, and taking narcotics, disqualifies me from working for that reason. I have also had over 30 some surgeries. The hospital where I worked has chosen to pay my disablity rather than have me return to work, due to the lack of stabiilty of my knee. I also need a tkr on the other side, and one or two Total hip replacements. SO, could be a few years yet. Teresa
On going instrumentation failure, chronic infection,
Arthroscopes Left 11 Right 2, MRSA, L TKR  ,  Revision, LR x5, Medial and lateral meniscus repair, Broken prosthesis
Osteochondral Fracture,untreated 6 mths. Revision new tkr 01-07 awaiting new hip and right knee
R TKR pending

Offline LadeeStingray

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2007, 03:57:45 AM »
Hey Conemaugh,

I have a similar situation.  My doctor gave me the go to try for disability and as of yesterday i was denied.  They said that due to my age and education that i would be able to find work making min. of 800 a month even if i were unable to return to my former job.  Nursing is all i have ever done, so now i guess ill go find something else to do for a while, well after this next surgery of course.

Good luck !!

Ladee
10/05 Rt medial meniscal tear repair 1/06 synvisc injections
3/06 cortisone injection   6/06 open OATs MFC
9/06 drained/cortisone  11/06 biopsy for ACI surgery
6/07 scoped again....failed OBI plugs
awaiting approval for HemiCAP

support