Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: TKR---6 weeks still tons of pain 34 year old  (Read 1365 times)

Offline Conemaugh

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
TKR---6 weeks still tons of pain 34 year old
« on: February 26, 2007, 12:12:10 AM »
I had a complete knee replacement about 6 weeks ago.  I am taking lorcet 10/650 3-4 times a day still.  I was taking about 6-8 a day so I guess that's better.  I am only 34 but had multiple injuries/surgery to this knee.  Is it normal to have pain this good after this long?  Should I feel bad in asking in the dr for another prescription? My ROM is over 120 that was last week.  The pain is the worst when I do my bending exercises.  The surgeon & his nurse told me it's normal for pain this long (that was almost 2 weeks ago at my 4th week)  Do you think it I am having more problems since I had multiple surgeries prior to the TKR?  How long can someone take pain meds before they need lowered off?

knee deep in Goo

Re: TKR---6 weeks still tons of pain 34 year old
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2007, 02:47:12 AM »
You are only at six weeks  Please talk with your OS about your pain medication needs. He is the best person to sort out.  The next few weeks you should start to see yourself not needing them as much. Which is a good thing.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2007, 04:07:21 AM by knee deep in Goo »

Offline Teresa_S

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2007, 03:48:24 AM »
Pain is individual ,but unfortunately requires a dr. to prescribe the meds. I read at one total knee site, that they should be able to go home in 3 days post op and take only tylenol duriing the day, and maybe a prescribed drug at night to sleep. I NEVER knew anyone who did this. Another site said you could probably return to all activities like before at 3 weeks post op. I only have a flexion of 83 degrees at three weeks post op. MyOS evidently thinks that 50 percocet should last till you are pain free, no matter when that is, yet says over and over my revision is  a big big big surgery, much bigger than original tkr and all other surgeries I had before. Then goes on to say he is a reasonable man, and that by three weeks should be able to go way down. Personally, having only 50 pills for 21 days, made me think I was taking the bare minimum. The other OS I had, prescribed long acting and breakthrough meds for years and years, if you wanted them. IT is just that so many drs are sports med drs today, and think that exercise, and PT can suffice.  Good luck, I hope that you have and accomodating PT. I have read here where people months out are taking 4 times the meds I was offered in the beginning, even though my procedure was supposed to be much more incompacitating, and painful. Makes no sense. Teresa

I also think age should be part of the decision. I know the Physcial therapists told me that people in their 70-80s don't seem to need as strong a meds as they don't got back to doing very much, are pretty much content to just be able to walk.  I have had over 30 procedures in the last 4 years, and never been off meds, but with this guy being so stingy, have a feeling I soon will be without. HE told me now was not the time to not take long acting meds, but he did not prescribe them, I would have to find somebody to give them to me, other than him, as he is a "joint reconstrucion surgeon ONLY"
On going instrumentation failure, chronic infection,
Arthroscopes Left 11 Right 2, MRSA, L TKR  ,  Revision, LR x5, Medial and lateral meniscus repair, Broken prosthesis
Osteochondral Fracture,untreated 6 mths. Revision new tkr 01-07 awaiting new hip and right knee
R TKR pending

Offline dmturner

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2007, 04:57:37 AM »
Hi,

I'm at 4 1/2 weeks post TKR with two prior surgeries in past two years to same knee.  I'm still taking my pain medication regularly.  I have gone down a llittle on the dosage but am still dosing four times per day.  I forgot to take the dose this afternoon so went about ten hours between doses.  This was a BIG mistake.  All of the sudden I was in considerable pain when it hit me that I had forgotten my meds.  I will ask for refills until I no longer need them.  Everyone is different in their tolerance to pain, so if you need them, take them; it's the best way to rehab, and you should in no way at six weeks be worrying about the necessity to still take them.  You will not become addicted unless you are taking them for no reason.

Good luck in your rehabilitation, and take care.

Donna
9/04 L TPF Plate w/6 screws;
5/05 R Calcaneal Process Fracture Surgery;
2/06 L Hardware Removal & Patellar Debridement;
8/06 R Great Toe Fusion;
1/07 L TKR

Offline luckygrandma

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2007, 12:29:45 PM »
Six weeks is nothing to be still in a lot of pain. You could still be in pain up to three months to a year. TKR is major surgery and a lot was cut in there and will take time to heal.  If you need more pain meds don't be afraid to call your OS and get more prescribed. If you don't feel what you are taking is doing much good then ask for a stronger prescription. Don't skimp on your pain meds. If you have swelling be sure and use a lot of ice packs. This will help the pain a lot too.  120 degrees is great ROM at 6 weeks and you should be proud of yourself there. I was almost a year and still didn't have that much ROM.  You are coming along great and the pain will one day subside and all of a sudden you'll realize that you are not in as much pain and it is getting better every day.  I was also told the more you can move around the quicker the pain will subside. It will be painful at first but better in the long run.  I too had two previous operations before my TKR on the same knee, I had a failed arthroscopy and a failed PKR and then a TKR all within 9 months.  I'm 13 months postop TKR now and although I'm facing major spine surgery in two days my knee feels great, and I think when all is said and done I'll be very pleased with it.  Becky

Offline Teresa_S

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2007, 07:01:11 PM »
i would like nothing more than to have a successful tkr this time, as I had one on this leg two years ago, and a revision one year ago, so hopefully after a few months I WILL be glad this time, but right now due to the physcian denying me adeuate pain meds,and my quad being cut 4 times in three years, I don't feel it,can't contractit without lifting my leg, and can barely stand to move the entire leg. In additon am having nerve pain from a failed sciatic block, and the whole leg and foot turns outwards, when I walk, as the Physical Therapist pointed out today. I hope you do get adequate pain meds, I am really upset that the current OS I have is denying me pain management. HE can't seem to get it through his head, that he did the cutting and pounding and he should be doing the control of the post op Pain. Teresa
On going instrumentation failure, chronic infection,
Arthroscopes Left 11 Right 2, MRSA, L TKR  ,  Revision, LR x5, Medial and lateral meniscus repair, Broken prosthesis
Osteochondral Fracture,untreated 6 mths. Revision new tkr 01-07 awaiting new hip and right knee
R TKR pending

Offline luckygrandma

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2007, 09:39:02 PM »
i would like nothing more than to have a successful tkr this time, as I had one on this leg two years ago, and a revision one year ago, so hopefully after a few months I WILL be glad this time, but right now due to the physcian denying me adeuate pain meds,and my quad being cut 4 times in three years, I don't feel it,can't contractit without lifting my leg, and can barely stand to move the entire leg. In additon am having nerve pain from a failed sciatic block, and the whole leg and foot turns outwards, when I walk, as the Physical Therapist pointed out today. I hope you do get adequate pain meds, I am really upset that the current OS I have is denying me pain management. HE can't seem to get it through his head, that he did the cutting and pounding and he should be doing the control of the post op Pain. Teresa
Talk to your GP. He is more apt to give you meds then the OS or ask to be referred to pain management.  These OS's  barely give any meds, they do their work and expect us to bite on a bullet. After my TKR my OS gave me a less than a weeks worth of pain meds, thank God I was going to Pain Managment before the TKR and so had plenty of pain pills.

Offline agentman04

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • I'd rather be anything but ordinary - please...
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2007, 01:41:13 AM »
Good luck to you!
I have told everyone - my neck surgery with plates/screws was like going to Disneyworld compared to my two knee surgeries (menisectomies only! Third one coming up in three weeks/patella is broken now...) Be safe.
JC
L menisectomy 1996
R menisectomy 1999
C5/C6 diskectomy and fusion w/instrumentation 2006
Pending partial patella removal/or pin/wire resection 2007

Offline agentman04

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • I'd rather be anything but ordinary - please...
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2007, 01:47:36 AM »
Oh yeah...be strong! Pain is just weakness, leaving the body! (Be sure to NOT let pain limit your walking, working your body...and if it does - make sure your GP or OS knows about it! You only have one life to live...
 :)
L menisectomy 1996
R menisectomy 1999
C5/C6 diskectomy and fusion w/instrumentation 2006
Pending partial patella removal/or pin/wire resection 2007

support