Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Lateral release - questions  (Read 1173 times)

Offline squeezeevans

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Lateral release - questions
« on: February 25, 2007, 01:47:40 PM »
Hey!

I haven't posted for a while, but have just found out that I am getting a arthroscopic lateral release on my right knee on the 1st May.  I just have a few questions:

1. I know I can't drive myself but would being driven home 100 miles straight after operation be an ok idea?

2. How manageable are stairs?

3. I have exams at the end of May.  Is sitting still for a long period of time going to be a problem?

4. About 2 months after the operation I'm meant to be going to a ball.  I know everyones experience is different but would it seem likely that I'd be able to last a 10 hour ball with little sitting and some dancing by then?

Many thanks for advice in advance to my random questions  :)

Louise
xxxxxxx

Offline sarah1928

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: Lateral release - questions
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2007, 02:04:16 PM »
Hi there

I had a lateral release just over 12 months ago, so if I can answer any of your questions then i'll try.

1) 100 miles is a long distance to travel. My advice would be to either lay on the back seat to keep your leg streched out, or if you want to sit in the front push the seat right back and keep the knee out strenched. Stop on a regular basis and make yourself as comfortable as you can it's a long drive. Myself I never had a problem sitting in the car after my surgery but I didn't have to travel as far a distance as you have to. But only do it if you feel okay to.

2) Stairs can be hard especially the first few days. Just take each step slowly, eventually it will get easier, I found within just a few days I was finding stairs quite easy.

3) Sitting for your exams may be a problem, but as it's a couple of weeks after the op you may find it not as hard as you think. Just keep your knee outstreched, and I would explain the situation to the examiner just incase you need to get up for a sec. I never found sitting for periods of time a problem.

4) Within two weeks I was of crutches and walking un aided. With doing your physio and getting your leg back to normal within two months you'll be fine to go to the ball without a problem. You may get a bit tierd and a few aches but I reckon you'll be fine to do that.

Hope all goes well

Sarah

Offline caren

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • here we are together
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2007, 11:09:16 AM »
Good morning when I had my lateral release I laid in the back seat that was the most comfy for
me
stairs were not good for about 3 wks and then crutches helped alot just take it easy
good luck and sitting if you can prop do so I had to get up every so often and just rearrange myself
let us know how you come out hang in there it does get better
hugs
Caren
Caren

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2007, 11:19:54 AM »
After both my LR surgeries we drove home 100 km's... which is about an hours drive. Not sure about miles exactly.
I sat in the back seat but we brought lot's of nice fluffy pillows. You would definately want to sit across teh back seats as you should keep your leg elevated as much as is possible. You'll be pretty dopey likely so you won't even know you're driving that far.. lol or I didn't. It wasn't my favorite post op activity but it wasn't too bad. Rather right after surgery then after all the pain meds wear off and you just want to sit on your butt.

In my experience you should be okay to sit for exams.  My knee was mostly back to normal after 3 weeks, enough to do things like sit to write exams anyway. That is baring any complications. I had complications with my right knee and was still on crutches and daily physio at a month post op. But this isn't common. 

You shoudl be okay for the ball 2 months post op.. as long as you have opportunity to sit if you get sore ...

The really important thing to remember and I can't stress this enough is that a Lateral Release surgery success is based on the after care. The Physiotherapy, the Rest and ice post op... the faster the swelling goes down the better and Physio is SO important.

goodluck:)

linney

1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?

Offline lozzie

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2007, 09:13:03 PM »
Hello,

I agree with the other responses, but are you having anything else done in addition to the lateral release? I have had lateral releases on both knees (the last one was 7 days ago) but also had all of the damaged cartilage removed. This is what caused my previous recovery to last about 4 or 5 months, and it looks like this one will be the same. Muscularly, I could manage stairs fine, but having new cartilage growing gave me a lot of discomfort when climbing stairs or trying to dance.

Just remember with stairs, go down with the bad leg, and up with the good one and make good use of the banister.

I don't have trouble sitting for long periods but find I am a little stiff when first getting up again.

All the very best.

Lozzie
Aug '06 Right knee LR and chondroplasty
Feb '07 Left knee LR and chondroplasty

Offline ralemap

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2007, 08:23:32 PM »
I had my lateral release in August 05.  I was off crutches in 2 weeks and then started PT. Everyone is different, but you should be fine for your exams ( I would have been, easily). I agree that stairs are a little tricky. I didn't attempt them for a few weeks, and had to do 1 at a time for a month or more.

It really took 3 months for my knee to feel "OK" again, and now, 1 1/2 years later, I can honestly say it does feel better than my other one (I should have it done too, but don't have the time to be laid up right now with my 3 kids under 5!!)  :) 

I don't know if you'll really be in "full form" at the ball but you should be able to be moblie and pain free enough to have a great time!

Age is also a factor, I think-- as to how quickly you will heal. I had mine done when I was 33.
Good luck to you!

Offline lilrosie06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • LIVE WELL. LAUGH OFTEN. LOVE MUCH.
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2007, 05:14:51 AM »
Hi Louise!!

I am a little over 5 weeks post op from LR.

I would definitely bring a lot of pillows and sit in the back seat on the ride home with my leg propped up and ice on it as well. Icing it helps soooo much. (ask about an ice machine. They are wonderful!)

I still struggle with stairs, but CAN do them. Going down is worse for me. I go down sideways, good leg first. Feel stupid, but it works! Lol. And going up, I do good leg, then bad.

When you take your exams, just make sure its ok for you to get up, should you need to. You should be fine.

As for the ball, you should be ok. Wouldnt do high heels or anything. I am not 2 months post op yet, but cant imagine putting on a pair of high heels at this point! LOL.

Aggressive rehab is the key, so they have been telling me. I have patellar tendonitis, and an atrophied quad, so thats hindered me some. But I just keep pluggging away. Just take it easy for a few days. Be faithful with your RICE, and dont be afraid to use your crutches and pain meds.

IM me anytime.

Good luck to you.

DONNA

LEFT KNEE INJURY-1-05
SCOPE 4-05, LR 1-07, TKR 6-07, MUA 7-07, REVISION 10-07, INFECTION CLEANOUT 11-07, REVISION 4-08, EXPLANT 2-09 ANTIBIOTIC SPACER PUT IN, AND PICC LINE FOR 6 WEEKS
REPLACEMENT 5-09

BACK IN PT NOW....HIP AND FOOT PAIN, POSSIBLY SCIATIC