Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: carticel implant  (Read 5710 times)

Offline thomas

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • cartcel   implant failure
carticel implant
« on: October 02, 2002, 05:28:24 AM »
 :o has anyone had a carticel implant with any luck? i had mine done in sep 2000. in may 2001 they went back in and found that it did'nt take. i have a lot of trouble since.i am worse now regret it.now doc says need a total knee replacement  >:(  any suggestions?    thanks all  !!   :)
« Last Edit: October 07, 2002, 08:08:45 PM by troyl39 »

Offline PJS

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
Re: carticel
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2002, 11:42:26 AM »
Thomas,

How did you know that your implant had failed and what signs did you have to cause the surgeon to have a look inside your knee.   Fyi I had my implant a year ago almost to the day and have quite some up and downs with it.   Three weeks ago I increased my PT to include jogging. leg lifts with weights and jumps etc to find only that my knee immediately became swollen, although I did feel like I pulled something else to do with my hamstring.   I get periods (couple of days) when I walk without any pain or irritation over the implant site and other times when I get a small niggling pain (almost like a trapped nerve) near the implant site.
I read that it can take 18-24 months for the whole implant to grow properly.   At this moment in time I wonder whether the whole thing was worth it or not, since I had no pain prior to the Op and was playing Tennis and football etc.   I had the op so I was told by the surgeon to return to competitive sport, I now wonder whether they were simply money grabbing!
Tiem will tell. Look forward to your reply.

Offline thomas

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2002, 08:49:42 AM »
I do know what you are going through.i had alot of pain post op all through rehab.i did move and had to change doctors.i wish i had this doc first,but he decided to go in and see what was going on.he told me that the graph they took from my shin bone was just flapping back and forth. he removed that so i was left with a bigger defect in my cartilage.he was going to try an oats graft.taking plugs from other areas.but the defect was to large.i have an appt. this month.he is talking about another surgery taking a wedge of bone from the lower part of my leg to unload the inside of my knee where the defect is.i don't remember what he called it but it dos'nt sound fun. i am 39 yrs old to young for a knee replacement.so thats where i am now ??? dont really know what i want or need to do. good luck.they told me that carticel implants were 90 percent for sure.i read now they are saying its only about 79 percent now.    
« Last Edit: October 03, 2002, 08:53:24 AM by troyl39 »

Offline PJS

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2002, 11:05:11 AM »
Thomas,
Sounds as though you have had some bad luck.  I wish you all the best with what ever you decide to do with your knee.   I am also of the same opinion as you that Carticel Surgeons have greatly exaggerated the success of their technique to achieve Commercial rewards.    It sounds to me that the Carticel operation made you worse and probably because they trimmed the menisci back to glue the graft cover (Periostal flap) in, thus in effect making the original defect bigger.   I have no idea what is going on inside my knee (my defect was 4cm2) but can say that overall I have made slow progress and find that at times I have days with no pain and other days with minor pain.  I find my knee is very variable, sometimes slightly stiff after sitting and sometimes no clicks when straightening and other times some clicks deep in the knee.   It is very difficult to establish what is going on.  One thing for certain their is established pattern.   I have considered for a long time whether this was due to scar tissue and nerve damage as I understand that it can take a long time for these devils to sort themselves out.   I remain slightly frustrated and unsure whether I should ever had this surgery.  Any case thanks for your reply and good luck.

Offline jimbeaver

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
Re: carticel implant
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2002, 11:57:27 AM »
Hi Thomas & Hi PJS!

Im scheduled to go for the implant on the 24th Oct.
Having read your postings, Im really getting worried!
I did the harvesting in the left knee anthroscopy on
the 2nd Oct, on top of the 2 I had earlier this year.

Im really at the mercy of my OS as he said that this is
the only option, other than a total knee replacement.
Im 33 this year.

At this moment, the pain in my left knee is bearable, and I can walk normally.  I would feel jabbing pains when going up & down the stairs, and light exercises like swimming or stationary biking will cause my knee to swell with fluid.  I certainly want to go back to my sports & games, as well
as trekking and touring like before.

My concerns are:  How long did it take for you guys to get
back to walking and to resume your normal activities (like
work or school etc)?  My worries, apart from the huge medical bill, are that I would be out of a job after my
extended period of absence from work!   :'(

How did you guys manage the rehad process?

Thanks very much in advance & good luck to all!

Offline thomas

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2002, 09:35:51 PM »
I can tell you that rehad is VERY demanding and is said to take 12 to 16 months. before my surgery i was able to do alot more than i can do now.i have had to stop working and now on disablity.now my only option is a knee replacement.it is a very costly precedure,just my surgery was 36,000 $ plus rehab.if you do have the surgery do just what the doc says and be very careful not to put any!! weight on your knee you will be on a CPM machine for 6-8 weeks  8-10 hrs a day hope you like tv lol   i  am not able to walk for any distance now.i had my surgery in sep 2000  any more questions feel free to ask   good luck

Offline jimbeaver

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2002, 08:27:40 PM »
Hi Thomas,

Thanks vm for sharing your experiences on ACI.

Im really sorry to hear that the intended objective of the op
didn't turn out right for you.  Please hang in there and see
this through as there is no way back now.

I'm gonna speak to my OS again a week before the implant
on 24 Oct.  Hopefully, he can show me some light on the
questions which I have gathered after reading the postings here.  I sure hope he can give me  some assurances, coz he is the only person I can rely upon now.

I will be praying hard for all of us!  

Wishing you a speedy recovery mate!

Offline PJS

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2002, 04:33:25 PM »
Jim Beaver, (Thomas)

Best of luck if you go for the 24th Op.  My OS sent me away without the use of a CPM (only used a CPM for one day immediately after the op) and never mentioned that I needed one.    They gave me a sheet with some basic exercises and tole me it was up to me.   I also didn't have a brace and was told to be non weight bearing for two weeks, partial weight bearing for two weeks, start walking (aided in the house for 2 weeks) and then aided outside of the house (2 weeks) and then walking unaided by weel 9 outside.  I was told to be aggresive with the ROM and got full ROM after 6 weeks.      I was swimming and cycling at week 8-10 )with minor pain).    My opeartion was 13 months ago (i was then 41) and I still experience some minor pain and irritation.     I still can't do what I could before the operation and only hope (pray) that the implant site is continuing to heal and that by 18-24 months it will O.K.
The mental stress of the whole operation and rehabilitation is a nightmare and I would have not had the operation If I knew then what I know now.
Anycase I keep my finger crossed.
Keep us posted

Offline hoogie76

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2002, 03:26:33 AM »
I had a carticel implant and high tibial osteotomy done on my right knee on June 14, 2002. It is now October 22, and I can finally say my knee feels better than before the surgery. it takes a lot of rehab, and also just taking it easy with the knee. The doctor said it will be a year before I feel completely comfortable with the knee. I talked to an associate at another company in town, and he had his done a year ago this past august. He said it took 6-9 months before he felt it was a success. he is now rollerblading and playing soccer with his kids. I would be glad to share my story with anyone who wants to know the gory details of the surgery, and life after surgery, including the home rest and rehab process. Hoogie.

Offline Linda

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2002, 03:29:34 AM »
Hello Hoogie,

I would like to hear any gory details that you have. I want to hear the good and bad! I will be having the implant done on Nov 6.

I am glad that you are doing well,
Linda
LR and Chondrplasty 1/22/02, Clean-up, Chondroplasty and biopsy 6/4/02, AC Implant 11/6/02, Micro fracture and adhesion clean up 8/12/03

Offline gailg3

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2002, 11:29:28 PM »
To Hoogie, Glad to hear someone else's implant is doing well.  I had mine done April 13, 2001 and mine is doing well.  I went through a period in June of this year of needing some PT to strengthen my knee but other than that it is doing well.  No pain at the implant site when walking, I am almost always aware of my knee (if you know what i mean), the weather affects it,  but I am back to my normal activities.  i don't run on it but that is a personal choice.  I am thinking about getting back on a horse, something I have been waiting and wanting to do.  I'm only going on 27 (next month) and I'm glad I had this done b/c I'm way too young for a TKR.  So it at least buys me some time, if it isn't the ultimate solution.  Anyway good luck to those of you having problems.  I hope things work out.  I'd be happy to share details of my experience as well.  I'm currently almost 19 months post op.   Gail
L knee scope Nov 98, L knee LR, Microfracture Aug 99, L knee Carticel biopsy Jan 01, L knee Carticel Implant Apr 01
R knee scope Oct 04 Microfracture

Offline kyle

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2002, 09:55:20 PM »
I will be three weeks post-op implant on Oct 30.  I also had a distal realignment (Fulkerson).   I am finding the pain manageable (w/medication) and my range of motion is coming on slowly.  The worst part so far has been sleeping.  It is difficult to sleep in the brace because you have to stay on your back.  I might be one of the lucky ones (although I doubt it because I have had 3 manipulations in the past) but I have found the rehab to be bearable and less horrific than I expected.  Again, I am sure different people respond differently but if it helps I can honestly say I have had a positive experience so far.

Offline hoogie76

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2002, 01:20:26 AM »
This is hoogie again. I thought I would give a little more info on my experience. I had my osteotomy and ACI implant done in Grand Rapids on June 14. They took the cartilage graft out in a separate surgery on April 26, and grew it in Boston at Genzyme. I spent two nights in the hospital after the five hour surgery, pretty much drugged up with morphine. I was sent home after 48 hours, along with a machine to bend the knee. I spent approximately 6-8 hours a day in the machine watching TV, and iced the knee the rest of the time. I could actually sleep with my knee in the machine pretty well. My goal was to get the range of motion back, and I was at 30% after a couple of weeks. No weight bearing whatsover, so I rented a wheelchair and bought a walker. After a month I was able to put slight weight on my leg, but it was quite swollen. I started therapy two weeks after surgery, and continued on three days a week for two hours each for the first two months. After that, I continued on in the gym three days a week, and continue on to this day. I am still unable to do open chain exercises, putting pressure on the joint, but am on a bicycle, leg lifts, hamstring curls etc. It is now four months, post op and I still have some pain, but no longer need crutches etc. I got rid of those after two months. I would say I am now slightly better than before surgery, but I am hoping this slow recovery will continue. My doctor says that the cartilage  graft at this point is still "like jello" and it will take up to a year to harden sufficiently. My osteotomy, where they surgically break your leg to realign the bone, has healed completely. My goal is to be able to ride a bike, and play golf without pain. No more volleyball, skiing, even though he says I could return to this over time. it is just not worth the risk. I am 44 and am hoping that this carticel implant will eliminate the need for a TKR down the road. That is still an option, but I am hoping for the best.

Offline Linda

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2002, 06:25:39 PM »
Hello Hoogie,

Thanks for the additional info! it is nice to know what has happened with others. I am having mine done in Denver, and they expect me to stay only one night in the hospital. Like you, I was told that I would probably be able to return to sports, but at this point I am hoping to get rid of most of the pain and return to most of my normal activities. It would be nice to get back to hiking and backpacking though. I do not wish to have a knee replacement, so I will play things on the safe side.

Hope you have continued success!
Linda
LR and Chondrplasty 1/22/02, Clean-up, Chondroplasty and biopsy 6/4/02, AC Implant 11/6/02, Micro fracture and adhesion clean up 8/12/03

Offline thomas

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2002, 06:51:26 PM »
hey hoogie,                                                                                            i've had the same surgery that you had mine was done in sep 2000 with no luck.now i am going to have the osteotomy  done. can you tell me how that compares to the carticel pain wise.the doc tells me that this will get me throught a few years im 39 now and will need a tnr by 50.I love to hunt and hike will this let me do those kind of things. right now i can walk about 50 yds and then i have to sit.also with all this limping i've been doing it has caused my back to start hurting much more.I had the L5-S1 removed in 1988                                       THANKS THOMAS

support