Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Subluxing after lateral release?  (Read 736 times)

Offline itigo

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
Subluxing after lateral release?
« on: February 23, 2007, 09:15:06 PM »
Hello All

I had an open lateral release 3 months ago for patellar tilt, bad tracking and subluxing that had started after having my daughter and a previous injury 17 years ago. Recovery has gone really well. Two days ago, I was in a hurry and was just going to get my daughter out of the car when my knee gave way with excruciating pain (left me shaking and crying) and then I couldn't fully straighten my leg for ages (don't know how long as I had to drive and it returned to normal during the drive sometime). It was very painful when I tried to straighten it or swung my leg to walk. It was just like what used to happen before surgery which has worried me. It is now a little bit swollen and feels a little sore and achy. Back to the RICE and Ibuprofen.

Is my description right for subluxing? Or is it something else? I will up my exercises and try to keep the VMO strong. Going for xrays in April to see if the kneecap has stayed in place.

I also have grade III damage to back of kneecap and OS said he was surprised just how wonky my knee was in there. I hope everything is ok. What happens if my kneecap has moved back over to the subluxed position again?

Thanks
A slightly concerned Itigo xx
1990 dislocated LK in hockey
1990 arthroscopy - debridement, cartilage removal
05 LK unstable and painful
May 06 dx tilting kneecaps
Nov 06 arthroscopy and open LR
Oct 07 debridement arthroscopy
Sept 09 - May 13 subluxing frequently
May 13 TTT and MPFL reconstruction

Offline kimmyxs

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
Re: Subluxing after lateral release?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2007, 02:26:03 AM »
I hope everything is getting better for you, but my understanding is that a LR is not recommended for a patella that subluxes.  A LR alone is usually recommended for a patella tilt only - I have a subluxing patella with tilt, I ended up with a VMO advancement and LR.  Many end up with a TTT and LR.  The damage to the back of the patella is due to the damage that occurs due to the subliuxing.

Call your OS immediately.  My OS was very honest and said that if this surgery didn't prevent the subluxing that I may have to have a TTT.  I am only 6 weeks post-op and still don't have any more than 80 degrees ROM while we let the VMO heal.  I hope (fingers crossed) that I don't have to have additioanal surgery.  At my age, 48 I may just go ahead with the TKR instead if that happens.

Are you doing PT?  You could ask them for help as well.
6/03/89 - First Knee Cap Disclocation
7/05/89 - Returned to work
6/17/06 - Tramatic Knee Cap Dislocation and Vertical Fractured Patella
6/28/06 - ORIF - Screws - no wires
8/24/06 - Ditched the brace - start PT
9/20/06 - First spinning
1/15/07 - screw removal, LR , VMO Advanc  & patella cleanupl

brianne

Re: Subluxing after lateral release?
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2007, 02:33:19 AM »
Itigo,

Kimmy is correct.  A LR will do nothing to correct a subluxing patella.  I would suggest calling your OS right away.

I had a LR back in 2002 and it did nothing to help my knee.  I did have a TTT on my right and later my left knee and they have been successful.

Hopefully this is nothing, but call your OS just to be sure.

Brianne

support