Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Help after Chondroplasty with OBI Plugs  (Read 1021 times)

Offline Christielynn527

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Help after Chondroplasty with OBI Plugs
« on: February 23, 2007, 05:27:49 PM »
I am 5 weeks post op...I have had 4 arthoscopic knee surgeries since an injury sustained from a high impact fall on the right knee 8 years ago, I am a 48 year old active female.  The first surgery was unsuccessful, supposedly the doctor worked on a smashed miniscus, after the surgery the pain was still there, next surgery was a microfracture, unfortuneatly the doctor did not follow protocol such as non weight bearing etc, after 1 year of PT, with pain and loss of ROM saw another OS who basically cleaned out the scar tissue so I was able to walk, he did note at that time that there were some spots on the medial femoral chondyle that looked suspicious but did not feel they were the cause of my pain.  Five years later I was unable to lift, run, walk uphill and in constant pain.  The third OS ordered an MRI which showed a Medial Femoral Chondryl Defect (dead bone/cartilidge)and he suggested the OBI plugs.  As I said I am now 5 weeks post-op chondroplasty with OBI plugs, non-weight bearing and still have swelling and pain in the knee.  I am finally able to go on the bike at PT but any exercises other than leg lifts seem to trigger swelling and pain, I feel like I take two steps forward and two steps back.  I am waiting for a off-loader knee brace so I can start putting weight on the leg.  I still am icing my knee regularly and taking about 2400 mgs daily of ibuprofen.  I am getting frustrated and impatient-any suggestions on excercises, time of recovery, what to expect as I go forward?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2007, 11:19:35 PM by Christielynn527 »
Diagnosis:Medial Femoral Chondryl Defect
Surgeries: 1st arthoscopy-smashed meniscus repair
2nd arthroscopy w/microfracture
3rd arthroscopy removal of scar tissue
4th arthoscopy chondroplasty with OBI Plugs

knee deep in Goo

Re: Help after Chondroplasty with OBI Plugs
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2007, 12:34:55 AM »
I would ask your OS about an RX for Aqua therapy.   It will help you in so many ways while you are on the path to getting to the best spot you can.

Offline shade

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • An obstacle is often a stepping stone.
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2007, 01:05:09 AM »
Christielynn,

Hi there, OBI's take a long, long time to heal but you'll get there.  Several of us on these boards have had very successful results with the OBI's, but we've all had ups & downs along the way.  We've posted under the section 'Knee Arthritis' - 'Cartilage Plug Transfer'.   
My post-op protocol was 6 weeks NWBing, then 2-4 weeks PWBing.  At six weeks I began recumbent biking then gradually began walking on a soft surface.  That's basically how I rehabbed and it's worked out very well, everyone seems to have different protocols though depending on where your damage is located & surgeon's preferences etc.  Aqua therapy would be great if it's available and your surgeon is agreeable. 
Good luck and remember you'll get there - it just takes time and patience.  Take care.  ~shade
July '05 (RK) - LR/debridement
Mar '06 (RK) - Open LR + Allograft w/OBI TruFit Plug + Fulkerson TTT
 Feb '07 (LK) - LR + Fulkerson TTT

Offline Christielynn527

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2007, 04:30:50 AM »
Thanks for the info and encouragement, this being my 4th surgery I am really concerned it won't be successful so hearing that it takes time time time does help, I will try and be patient.  I will also ask my OS about aqua therapy. 
 :-\
Christie
Diagnosis:Medial Femoral Chondryl Defect
Surgeries: 1st arthoscopy-smashed meniscus repair
2nd arthroscopy w/microfracture
3rd arthroscopy removal of scar tissue
4th arthoscopy chondroplasty with OBI Plugs