Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: total knee replacement in India  (Read 847 times)

Offline drich1228

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
total knee replacement in India
« on: February 23, 2007, 02:41:41 PM »
This is my first post so Im not sure if I am in the right place.
The doctor at the VA told me its time for a total knee replacement of both knees. The VA has a long waiting list and I can not wait much longer (its been 4 years0. I do not have the insurance so I have looked at the overseas options and my VA ortho Dr after reading the information was impressed. Any feed back?

Dennis

Offline rozzzie

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • smile:a little curve that strightens everythig out
Re: total knee replacement in India
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2007, 11:36:31 PM »
IMHO a TKR is not some thing to go shopping for a cheeper price, you need a great OS and hospital, or you may be very dissapointed.  Things may work out, but some foreign hospitals in less developed areas,  May not have all the protocols that we do to prevent problems.

Good luck

Rozzzie
OA of knees since 85 
93 scrambled ankle - PE
98 PE
99 anlke fusion
04 hit by car broken leg, ribs AC joint seperation
RTKR  Dec 1 2005
LTKR. IM rod removal March 16, 2006

Offline DeborahinNC

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2007, 02:20:06 AM »
Hi Dennis,

This is very strange.  In the last two days you are the second person I have heard of that is going to India for TKR.  Or the same person since the original one was just a conversation with my eye doctor.  I don't know anything about medicine in India.  I understand about needing the care and not being insured.  Please be careful and don't make a hasty or desparate decision.  A few questions, who does your aftercare, what if you have even minor problems?  Both my husband and brother deal with a VA hospital in our area and I understand fully how frustrating this can be.  So, please be careful and make well thought out decisions. 

Is there any other assistance you can seek in your local area?  I'm just thinking out loud.  I wish you the very best no matter what you choose.

Deborah 

Offline L. Thomas.net

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Louann in Tennessee/USA
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2007, 03:15:24 AM »
I have insurance so it's easy for me to say stay at home in case you do have problems and what about after care at home.  Are you happy with VA?  How long did they say you would have to wait?  Did they tell you that you could have both knees at one time?

Have you checked to see if you qualitfy for any federal programs like mediaid?

You are in the right place.  I would be willing to bet that if you posted a thread in TKA about over seas TKA you would get some response.
Mulitple Knee surgeries/ TKA: 06  
Left Hip femoroplasty : 08   
Post Op- TKAinTN 06: http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=33906.

knee deep in Goo

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2007, 06:08:48 AM »
I think I saw a news segement on abc news.   A woman went to India for a hip replacement and was very happy with the care she had over there.     I suppose before doing an operation like that you would have to fly over to see the hospital.  I would think aftercare would be your biggest concern.  Who would see you incase you had strange pains or swellings or started need medication ??     India is becoming a techincal and medical powerhouse. It is harder for them to come over to the USA  so I suppose marketing the american public for a bargin is very alluring. But  I am sure many do not realize how hard this major surgery is and flying in planes for 24 hours.. post op would be a form of hell on earth until at least a month. I would guess.