Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: How Do You Know if ACL Surgery Didn't Work?  (Read 2267 times)

Offline Gojab

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
How Do You Know if ACL Surgery Didn't Work?
« on: February 23, 2007, 01:35:30 PM »
My 14 year old daughter had her 2nd ACL reconstruction last Summer. She was just released to start playing soccer again in Feb. On her 5th training session with a trainer, she felt a "slip" in her knee.

She's not worried, since her surgeon and phys therapist told her that breaking down of the "scar tissue" is normal. There is only a little swelling and no pain.

Have any of your other ACL patients experienced a similar episode early in your rehab where it turned out to be nothing more than scar tissue breaking down?

We're worried that after 2 ACL surgeries she may still not be fixed. She has lax knees to begin with. Since her growth plates weren't fully closed the Surgeon (from CHOP) inserted the tibia pin a bit lower than the growth plate (we're wondering if this was smart on our part). She had the allograft since we didn't want to use hamstring or patella tendon and deal with the possible complications.

Offline L. Thomas.net

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Louann in Tennessee/USA
Re: How Do You Know if ACL Surgery Didn't Work?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2007, 03:56:29 AM »
My allograph failed BUT we knew going in that I had very little cart. and I was just buying time before a TKA.  When mine failed I did have some buckling but it was at least 2 years before I needed any other surgery and that was when the failed graph showed.  It didn't show in x-ray or MRI as failed because it was laying "in  place". 

It is very important to remember failed ACLr are counted in the small minority.  As a matter of fact I don't know anyone else that has had a failed allograph.  They are suppose to prevent TKA later in life.  That was not the purpose of my ACLr...buying time that's all..buying time
Mulitple Knee surgeries/ TKA: 06  
Left Hip femoroplasty : 08   
Post Op- TKAinTN 06: http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=33906.

Offline Kai

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: How Do You Know if ACL Surgery Didn't Work?
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2007, 04:43:09 AM »
actually, stats show that allograft in a revision has a much higher failure rate than auto...   
ACLR - (patellar BTB autograft) left knee - May 31, 2006
Partial Lateral Meniscectomy right knee Feb 20, 2008
Partial Lateral Meniscectomy right knee Aug 11, 2008