Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Surgical knee HURTS in 10 degree weather. Normal?  (Read 1219 times)

Offline hopalong2830

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Surgical knee HURTS in 10 degree weather. Normal?
« on: February 18, 2007, 02:03:43 AM »
I am 2 years post op and the knee is not in there quite right but my newest problem is pain in the surgical knee with this very cold weather we are having. I am surprised to have any sensation from the titanium Zimmer knee but it is very cold and stiff and hurts in this weather. Any ideas?  I have wrapped with ace bandage but it is still uncomfortable   Anybody experience this???

Offline Audice

• Global Moderator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
Re: Surgical knee HURTS in 10 degree weather. Normal?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2007, 08:15:19 PM »
Hi Hopalong ~ Although I've had no surgery on my knee I have to say it seems to tighten up in this latest severe cold spell we've had in New England. This is the first winter it's happened but then the cold has been pretty bad. I found lined jeans, rather than sweat pants, help when I'm outdoors for a couple of hours at a time...Ellie
April, 2005 - ACL rupture, medial meniscus tear within posterior horn to articular surface, abnormal signal within lateral meniscus, partial tear MCL, bone contusions tibia/fibula, Baker's cyst.
No repairs.

Offline raquetball1

• Forum Faithful
  • RACQUETBALL--WALL TO WALL--INSANITY
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2007, 12:04:43 AM »
Hi Hop,

Often I think it is a combination of both cold temps. and low pressure systems coming through.  Even in the summer, I can tell when a low pressure system is approaching.  For our latest outbreak of snow and brrrrr cold here in northeast Ohio, I've found wearing a neoprene sleeve on the knee outside is "comforting".  I think someone should market a "knee cozy". 
autopatellar acl recon Nov. 2004 at age 51

Congress shall make no law...abridging the freedom of speech.

Offline Audice

• Global Moderator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2007, 12:22:47 PM »
For our latest outbreak of snow and brrrrr cold here in northeast Ohio, I've found wearing a neoprene sleeve on the knee outside is "comforting".  I think someone should market a "knee cozy". 

Robin ~ I think you've hit the nail on the head. Dim bulb that I am I forgot entirely that I did wear a neoprene sleeve all last winter! And that made the difference.

There are "knee cozies" on the market! Dancers wear knee warmers all the time & somewhere in this house is the start of a knee warmer I was knitting. Thanks for the wakeup call...Ellie
April, 2005 - ACL rupture, medial meniscus tear within posterior horn to articular surface, abnormal signal within lateral meniscus, partial tear MCL, bone contusions tibia/fibula, Baker's cyst.
No repairs.

knee deep in Goo

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2007, 01:40:49 AM »
I had the zimmer knee implanted.  I noticed when it was very cold out there was a discomfort.  Doc told me to expect that for at least 2 years to have a cold feeling in the winter.  High winds I sort of get this weird sensation.  The OS said something about the implant getting cold and the OA.

Offline hopalong2830

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2007, 02:32:38 AM »
Thanks for the suggestion Re: neoprene sleeve. I'll give it a try :)