Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: ACL knee brace advice  (Read 2771 times)

Offline Hill Girl

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 7
ACL knee brace advice
« on: February 17, 2007, 10:35:16 PM »
Hi folks

A friend has passed on via a circuitous route what I think is a Donjoy 4Titude/Armor or Legend knee brace for me (NHS having refused to supply a decent brace suitable for skiing etc - have not had ACL reconstruction).  Never one to look a gift horse in the mouth I am now trying to work out if this is any good to me.  There are instructions with the brace but it's all a bit hard to work out.  I think it is what they call the "CI" version, ie for combined instabilities.  It seems to have the standard 10 degree extension stops installed.  It is the right size and for the right (ie left!) leg so that's a good start.

What I need to know now is whether a CI version is okay to use for an ACL deficient knee?  I know this might be a stupid question but I have no experience of knee braces at all.  Also, would the standard 10 degree extension stops be adequate - it doesn't really feel to me as if it would stop the very small amount of hyperextension I need to make my knee really hurt!

I don't want to go out and buy a brand new brace when there is a chance this one will do as at this stage.  I just want something that will allow me to have a go at skiing again and see how it feels.  I don't need a brace for any other situations.

If anyone can help with this please let me know!

Many thanks
Mar 2006 ACL rupture skiing.  Bone bruise.  No ACLR - lots of rehab got me back to the hills.

Feb 2016 Medial meniscus bucket handle tear left knee, c75% removed.

ACLR (hamstring autograph) 03/17

Patellofemoral/trochlear wear in the other knee

fawn2388

Re: ACL knee brace advice
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2007, 05:23:04 AM »
My DJ armor has done wonders, I had a 4titude but the armor is more skiing oreintated - ask your othopedic surgeon - he could give you more advice that myself, plus I blew out all for ligaments at once, skiing...

Offline WJD

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2007, 04:15:33 PM »
It might be worth making an appointment with physio who can check the fit for you, ask when you ring up.

Just skied for a week in mine (Donjoy Armour).  Had a few problems with pressure points having worn it for so long, but it was very supportive.  I have hyperextension in both legs, and the orthotics people advised me to mess with the fitting straps so that when walking it doesn't "catch" and click as my leg tries to hyperextend and is restricted by the brace.  Looser straps at the back seems to do the trick.

Good luck

WJD
02/05 - ACL damage in a skiing collision.
01/06 - suspect lateral meniscus tear kneeling to change a DVD.
6/4/06 - Arthroscopy to remove meniscus bucket handle tear, ACL found to be ruptured. 
6/3/7 - Hamstring ACLR

Offline Hill Girl

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 7
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2007, 09:51:29 PM »
Thanks very much for the replies.  I also emailed Donjoy here in UK and got a really quick reply which is quite helpful and might be of interest:-

"A CI type brace is not ideal but still usable for your condition.  The 10 degree stop is fitting by default so is suitable.   The 4titude is not our recommended ski product but can be used - our recommended product is the Armor knee brace as featured on www.donjoy.com if you wish to purchase the ideal brace."

Sounds like the Armor might be the one to go for if I decide to invest ... all we need now is more snow here!

Thanks again and happy skiing (did say after last injury that I wouldn't ski again - husband would rather I didn't!).

Mel

Mar 2006 ACL rupture skiing.  Bone bruise.  No ACLR - lots of rehab got me back to the hills.

Feb 2016 Medial meniscus bucket handle tear left knee, c75% removed.

ACLR (hamstring autograph) 03/17

Patellofemoral/trochlear wear in the other knee

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2007, 09:15:33 PM »
I think the others are right and you might want to visit a physiotherapist to get properly fit. BUt the knee patient in me wants to say that you should invest in a GOOD brace.. these things are custom, semi custom fit to people and if it doesn't fit just right it could end up causing more harm than good.  But at the very least you should visit with someone to learn how to put it on properly and fit it, as there is a system to doing up the straps in order to get ultimate stabilization and you don't have an ACL that is what you need! Skiing is a hard sport with good knees... cant' imagine with a deficient one.

Goodluck
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?

support