Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Odd knee pain and other symptoms  (Read 4826 times)

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
Re: Odd knee pain and other symptoms
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2007, 06:08:07 AM »
Ron, sounds like you are doing pretty well. Glad to hear that you can be out and ski.
Can be very tricky to find the right way to be able ski and yet unload the knee. But you seems to have hit the point where this works.

HUGS NETTAN  8)
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline Ronxski

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2007, 05:25:53 PM »
Thanks for my morning hug Nettan  ;D  yes, I am very thankful that I can be out still. I don't want to take anything for pain while I ski so I know if I'm doing something I shouldn't be. When I get a good twinge of pain I know not to repeat that particular motion.
When I get home and take off the support to walk around the house I can't turn quickly or make any sudden moves as then it feels like the knee is loose and any side to side motion pulls at the tendons or ligaments along the side of the knee and at the back. Maybe I stretched something out?
So while I feel somewhat stronger I still have to watch how I move around.
Sitting at the computer with the knee bent at a 90 . I feel an ache in the area of the surgery.
But from what I was told , the place I am going to see the PT will tell me if I should go to an OS if they something wrong.

Going to be very cold here for 3 days so no skiiing this weekend. - 10 F for the high tomorrow and windy :P
partial meniscus removal, posterior horn of medial meniscus tear,horizontal cleavage type. Dec. O4
Age 56
back to cross country skiing and biking.

redtoblack

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2007, 07:39:35 PM »
Ron-

I hope you can get some answers from your PT.  Try to keep taking it easy until you get checked out.  I wish you the best of luck.

Jordan

Offline Ronxski

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2007, 08:21:31 PM »
Hi Jordan, just read your post about returning to TKD class . Doing the spinning and not too much kicking. Guess we are two of a kind eh?
It's tough to pull back. And you saw how I even tried last summer to make a comeback to softball with the support on.
That failed and at least I was smart enough then to give that up because of the pounding from running the field and bases.
Now its tough to not be able to dig in on the skis and give it a full effort as well.
When using the inside edge of the ski for the skate stride that torques the medial part of the knee. So I've had to flatten that stride out more and just use that leg mostly as my transition to glide rather than my push off foot.
We all have a favorite push off foot to start running and that used to be mine.

Is your bad knee your power leg?

Yes, I can hardly wait to see what, or if they can do anything to put humpty dumpty back together again  ;D
partial meniscus removal, posterior horn of medial meniscus tear,horizontal cleavage type. Dec. O4
Age 56

Offline Ronxski

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2007, 04:43:07 AM »
Things are changing. Weather has been very cold here. -30s F  to -40 temps at night and somedays not even -20 for a high. As a result , my job I was working on has been put on hold since last Wed. I haven't been out of the house since Friday except to sweep off snowy steps.
I brought down the Schwinn Airdyne to pedal on at times. And that isn't painful. But when I walk now I get that snapping around the knee cap as well as pain in the surgery area and pulling painful tendons all around. If I step the wrong way even more so. Now the other knee is aching and ankle on the good leg that has arthritis. So I don't know how much of this is weather related.
The best I can compare this to is when I used to sprain my ankles badly in basketball  when I was 20 or so, then not let it heal and go back out and you can feel the loose tendons and popping and snapping. But on the Knee there is no swelling that is obvious! UGH...
I'm walking very slowly now. keeping the support off since I'm not out and about. 
I am back to work tomorrow. So the support will be back on.
And Then next Monday my PT appt. 200 miles away.
I'm torn between giving that up and going back to an OS . Or hoping that PT can come up with something. But that concerns me that they don't know my case and could do something to make it worse.
No easy decision.
Of course it kills me not to be out on skis but walking and working are far more important.  Guess I'll be taking pain meds again. Ron
Age 56

redtoblack

« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2007, 02:12:10 PM »
Hi Jordan, just read your post about returning to TKD class . Doing the spinning and not too much kicking. Guess we are two of a kind eh?
It's tough to pull back. And you saw how I even tried last summer to make a comeback to softball with the support on.
That failed and at least I was smart enough then to give that up because of the pounding from running the field and bases.
Now its tough to not be able to dig in on the skis and give it a full effort as well.
When using the inside edge of the ski for the skate stride that torques the medial part of the knee. So I've had to flatten that stride out more and just use that leg mostly as my transition to glide rather than my push off foot.
We all have a favorite push off foot to start running and that used to be mine.

Is your bad knee your power leg?

Yes, I can hardly wait to see what, or if they can do anything to put humpty dumpty back together again  ;D

Luckily I injured my right knee and I'm left handed/legged.  I am up to the point that I can balance fairly well on my right leg so that my left kicks are effective.  I just don't know what I would do without martial arts in my life :o  I wonder just how many people here messed up their knees in martial arts.

That sucks that you have to drive 200 miles for PT.  I don't know about you, but if I'm in a car that long my knee is just shot for the day.  Hopefully they will be able to help, or at least have the ability to tell you if it's worth your time.

As for the cold, I have always wondered why cold weather makes my knee hurt, but putting ice on it makes it feel better ??? ??? ???

Anyway, I hope you are able to get around at work without much trouble or pain.  Take it easy and try to keep a smile on your face.  Let me know how you are doing.

Jordan

redtoblack

« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2007, 02:36:57 PM »
Ron-

How did the PT go?  How's the KNEE?

Jordan

Offline Ronxski

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2007, 04:09:48 AM »
Hi Jordan, just got home from being gone a week. The PT was very interesting and so different than any I have had before. Very helpful and I could use another treatment as I was on high ladders during the week for hours at a time.
Basically, I have a bakers cyst behind my knee . But the cause of my knees hurting is rooted in back and hip misallignments. Once she got done bending, yanking twisting my legs ankles. The knees loosened up a lot, I felt pops in my hips and lower and middle back when she was manipulating me. I was walking down the hall better than I have in a long time.

She thought I might need another treatment in a few days if I had a chance to get there. But I couldn't because of work. My insurance only allows me 30 day period to go there without a referral. Then I need to find a Dr. willing to let me do that.
I was given instructions on Tibial rotation and side lying rotation to do in the meantime. IT's meant to keep the knee cap loose and things in allignment.
BUT all the ladder climbing and holding a paint roller and brush for 12 to 14 hours a day didn't help.  :P

Anyway, I don't need surgery. And there is talk that they might open a clinic up here rather than me going 200 miles. There is enough demand now for that PT in our area. I HOPE SO!
Ron
Age 56

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2007, 09:44:04 AM »
Ron, how great to hear. I hope you can get someone around you so this will be a success for you. It's interesting how much a phys can really do for us.
You take care.

HUGS NETTAN  8)
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.