Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Cartilage Allografts  (Read 7623 times)

Offline kellyg

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Re: cartilage allografts
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2002, 06:46:15 AM »
Stacy,

I am a failed ACI and they have suggested an allograft to me.  Can you answer a few questions.  How long did you wait to get your graft?  When they had the tissue how quick did they do the surgery?  Was it open or through the scope? Did you have to stay vernight in the hospital?   How quickly did you start PT and for how long?

Thank you
Jane

Offline Stacy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • After 8 surgeries I outta feel like Superman!!!!
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2002, 07:20:47 AM »
Kelly,

I am now almost 8 months post allograft.  I was not a candidate for the ACI because the underlying bone was no good....plus neither one of my docs was particularily impressed with that surgery as it is two surgeries and there are no long term studies on results.

I went on a waiting list for my donor for about 4 months.  I got the call that they had my donor on Jan 17th and was in surgery on the 20th.  I stayed in the hospital for 4 days.  (mostly because I live in the Oakland area and had my surgery in San Diego) I'm glad I did though......they had me on a CPM machine and I had 90 degrees flexion before I even left the hospital.  

It is an open surgery, my doc went in through some of the same holes, but my understanding is they usually go straight up the middle you the knee.......mine is more like a horseshoe on the medial side.  The total scar was about 4 inches I guess.  

I started PT right when I got home.  I was NWB for 10 1/2 then partial WB for 4 more weeks but was doing ROM stuff from about 3 days after I got home from San Diego.  

I did have a bad reaction to the sticky spray they use to keep the steristrips on and had a huge, oozing rash all over my incision and the surrounding area. Then the doctor prescribed some steriod cream to help and antibiotics (because steriods can slow down healing and make you more likely to have a secondary infection.)  Well, turns out I was allergic to the antibiotic so I ended up in the ER with a rash all over my body......it was an event.

But, today I'm almost 8 months post op, haven't been in therapy for 3 months or so (after 2 1/2 years of continuous therapy) and am doing great.  I can bike and even jogged across the street the other day......(which I hadn't done in YEARS)

If you have a qualified doctor doing the allograft, they can work great.  I had one of the best doctors in the country do my surgery (with regards to allografts...my doc is leading a lot of the studies in the US which is why I traveled to San Diego for him).....I am very pleased with my results, and the doc says it can get even better up to 1 1/2 years post op, so it can get even better......Granted, there are things I will never do again, but I'm 31 and very functional and can ride my bike 40 minutes a day, no problems. I'm sure as time goes on I will be braver and test it more to see exactly what my limitations are.

Anyway, feel free to ask any questions, I know I'm a hot commody for people looking for info on this as it is not very common.  I had a lot of help over the years so I'm more than willing to help where I can.  

Take care
Stacy
Stacy

Offline grmblfx

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2002, 07:25:10 PM »
Hi Stacy,

I'm back! Today I could leave hospital. So far everything went quite well. I had not much pain, and since yesterday I'm without pain-relievers, because I got problems with my stomach. And so far there is no pain, but it spans (strains? tenses? sorry, my english...) quite hard when I get up. And the nights are very hard, laying on back all the time...
But I'm really content, so far everything was better than expected. I think the next 4 weeks will get a little bit harder, without CPM, daily PT and nurses bringing everything to the bed...but I hope I will manage this somehow...
Let me say thank you again for you information and your encouraging words - they really helped!
I will tell you more in the next weeks!
Daniel
ACL on left knee (too long), partial meniscectomie (medial), chondromalacia 2-3. Now cyst in right kneecap, OATS on Sept. 3rd.