Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Baker's Cyst... fantastic!  (Read 16728 times)

Offline belladaisygirl

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Baker's Cyst... fantastic!
« on: September 10, 2004, 08:05:37 AM »
Hello everyone,

New to the boards and just today was diagnosed with a bakers cyst by my orthopedist.  I noticed a bulge a few months ago, but no pain.  Since then I have sort of made  a joke of my "tumor", thinking it was a cramping muscle, something similar to a "charlie horse".  

Well, after reading up on the 'net, I'm now a little afraid of what it means.  I am scheduled for an MRI in about a week to see if there is a tear in the miniscus.  I have never had surgery and always try to avoid it at all costs...

I am an avid runner and cyclist... just wondering if anyone has had a baker's cyst that has ruptured and could give some advice.... does physical exercise "provoke" it to burst?  Has anyone had one drained successfully (without recurrence)?

Now that I think back to my track and soccer days in high school, I think I may have had it then too, but never gave it much thought...

any info would be appreciated!

8) 8) 8) 8)

Offline stgiles16

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • My photo album
Re: Baker's Cyst... fantastic!
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2005, 06:38:17 PM »
HI, I had one in college that burst on its own. Boy did that hurt but it had been giving me a fit so i was truly relieved. It did come back and I had a general surgeon cut that thing out with local anth. It never returned. I did not have maltracking issues and was an avid athlete so I have no idea where it came from or why it never returned. All of my knee issues stem from an automobile accidnet almost 4 yrs ago so dont panic. It is possible to have them and be just fine.
good luck
missy
2 ligament recons right ankle
2 arthroscopic,
5 open knee procedures
2 Plica removals
bone spur removal
2 microfractures
4 debridements
2 open LOAs all on left knee
Arthritis,both knees, ankles, shoulders, elbows, hands,spine
Fibromyalgia
Arthrofibrosis
LOA & PKR 2/15/06
RA
in pain mgmt
TKR JAN 2012

Offline costumer

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2007, 03:08:02 AM »
I developed a baker's cyst with my torn meniscus in my LK. Apparently the critter was nearly 2" and I had no idea it was there!! I asked my OS about it, he said it's a common thing with torn meniscus and something to do with excess fluid because of the tear building up and creating the cyst. Because they are in the back of the knee, they are usually very awkward to get to. So unless there is some reason (like it bursts, I guess), he said they general just compress it when they trim the meniscus rahter than remove it. He said they don't usually come back. Lots of people don't know they have them til the MRI shows it.

-Judy
Dx: bi-lat subluxating patellae w/chondromalacia 4/1977
6/78 LR - LK
1/80 TTT-Hauser LK; 12/80 Proximal Realignment Mystery- RK
1/82 Maquet TTT- LK
11/06 Meniscectomy; Mild OA- RK, 12/06 Meniscectomy; Mod OA- LK
3/07 Bi-lat severe arthritis
9/18/07 bi-lat TKR

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2007, 01:31:33 PM »
I've had one for years. I've biked, swam, walked, etc. and it has never burst and never caused pain. I think if they're inclined to  burst they will whether you're active or not. Whatever is causing the Baker's cyst is the thing you need to be concerned about.

Offline fraz

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2015, 09:52:15 PM »
very bad thing to have this bakers cyst.  On & off for 8 years,,, caused by chondral defect ---and synovitis bad  :'(----- :o