Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: What are bone spurs in the knee?  (Read 213897 times)

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 10
    • Check out my photography!
What are bone spurs in the knee?
« on: August 08, 2002, 03:00:42 AM »
My OS identified these on my merchant view x-rays, saying that they were on each side of the kneecap.  He pointed to what looked like each edge of the trochlear groove.  The ones in my surgical knee are bigger, but my good knee has them as well.

He didn't think they were causing my pain--he really felt that was adhesions from the previous surgery pulling the kneecap around.  Also, I had these bone spurs in the x-ray taken before my surgery, so they are not new.

I've never really heard anything about bone spurs in the knee.  Can anyone explain to me a little more about these and what causes them?  What do they mean, etc.  I will ask my PT on Friday as well, just wanted to make sure I understood the concept going in.

Thanks a bunch.

Heather
« Last Edit: September 19, 2002, 12:12:08 PM by admin »
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell

Offline Kara

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • One day I will run as fast as Speedy Gonzalez!
Re: Bone spurs?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2002, 04:19:28 AM »
Hi Heather,

I also was told I had bone spurs in my knee. From what my OS said it's because of all the years of my patella rubbing straight on the bone (I have no cartalidge left). This creates tiny little ragged edges, like thorns, which your bone then tries to heal by making more bone on top of it.  I am told sometimes they can get large  enough to need fixing but most of the time they are just irritating to your knee.
K
rt knee: LR 10/88-3/94-2/00 ;
left knee: TTT 5/02

Offline Jennifer

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2002, 09:43:36 AM »
Heather~~~~~

My bone spur was on the trochlear and was big enough to dig a divot in the back of my patella.  I had a LR and the OS hadn't looked around when he dropped the patella on the osteophyte (the LR was to help with my lateral tilt).  The osteophyte made quite a mess of the back of my patella.  The next OS (current) did chondroplasty to get some new tissue, but I still have a divot.

The best clue that the osteophyte was a problem was that my patella was freezing in place...it is a remarkable experience

:o  :o  :o

Do a search on the net using the term osteophyte and you may get more info...lots of heel spur stuff will come up too if you don't limit to knees.

http://orthopedics.about.com/library/glossary/bldef-osteophyte.htm

http://www.hopkins-arthritis.som.jhmi.edu/osteo/osteo_clin_pres.html

Good luck.

Jennifer
11/98 LR+chondro(L);Maquets T3 5/99(L),5/00(R);8/00 bilat hdwr removal;7/01 chondro+therm shrink(L)10/01-therm shrink(R);2/02, LR +chondro+menis repair(R);7/01 access navic excis (L) foot;11/02, bilat Baker's Cyst Asp;12/03 Roux-type T3 +meniscus trim(R),12/04 Roux-type T3(L) :o :o :o

Offline The KNEEguru

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 98
  • The KNEEguru
    • The KNEEguru
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2002, 05:52:02 PM »
I think of the arthritic knee as desperately trying to heal the damaged joint cartilage - which has very little of its own healing ability - and the underlying bone goes crazy trying to solve this dilemma. Bone is dissolved in some places (forming cysts) and then heaped up in others (forming osteophytes - which means 'bone mushroom') but all this activity is unable to solve the problem and often just makes it worse.
--
KNEEguru

Offline SarahSmile

• Forum Faithful
Re: What are bone spurs in the knee?
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2004, 07:33:00 AM »
Hi Heather,

I too had a huge bone spur that was stabbing my ACL and MCL ligaments- dr removed it last week.
I am curious to learn more about them and why they develop since the dr can't gurantee that it won't grow back... Do you have any articles or more info on them?

Sarah
Severe AF
'95-ACL Recon
'01-ACL Recon revision; 30 degrees extension
'02-MUA, notchplasty. Severe arthrofibrosis.
'04-MUA,Chondroplasty,menisectomy,synovectomy,bone spur rmvl.
'04-MUA, Chondroplasty,synovectomy
'05-Extensive LOA, AIR, LR
Surgery #7: 7/12/06: LOA, AIr
9/15/06: DIAGNOSED W/ RSD

Offline stgiles16

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • My photo album
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2005, 06:41:39 PM »
HI Heather, I had bone spurs grow after my failed microfracture. It seems that the fibrocart would not grow so the bone over did it trying to fill in the gap with resulting pain and irritation. OS removed the bone spurs 2 surgeries ago when he redid the microfractue. MIne were on the medial femoral chondyle.
missy
2 ligament recons right ankle
2 arthroscopic,
5 open knee procedures
2 Plica removals
bone spur removal
2 microfractures
4 debridements
2 open LOAs all on left knee
Arthritis,both knees, ankles, shoulders, elbows, hands,spine
Fibromyalgia
Arthrofibrosis
LOA & PKR 2/15/06
RA
in pain mgmt
TKR JAN 2012

Offline akam.

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2005, 10:49:31 AM »
Hi,

I posted yesterday about by recent knee arthroscopy and waiting for a LR to fix the patella.

When I was waiting for the arthroscopy I had a discussion with my surgeon, who explained that I have these bony spurs on my femur.... I also have what looks like a "bird's beak" on the edges of my patellae, these "beaks" hook round against my femur.

I always wondered how these were formed, and it seems that, as my patellae are not central, they have worn away the lateral side of the femoral groove - the cartilage is down to the bone here -  and hence I believe the spurs have formed as my body tries to combat the friction.

I'm not actually sure if the pain I sometimes suffer is caused by these spurs, as the surgeon explained that the ligaments have tightened and hardened. As I bend and flex my knee, these ligaments "pop" across, visibly and audibly. Maybe it is popping across a bony spur. Who knows!

akam.
right knee dislocation nov'95
popping knees since 2000/01
left knee scope feb'05
left knee LR aug'05
right knee LR apr '06
left knee clean up and fibrous band cutting apr '07
recurring knee swellings nov/dec '07

Offline stgiles16

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • My photo album
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2005, 12:12:01 PM »
I had bone spurs develop after a microfracture. My OS said that it was my body trying to heal the defect. Unfortunately, I formed bone spurs instead of fibercart after the first microfracture resulting in more surgery (another micro plus cleaning up the bone spurs and plica removal,and something else, that escapes me now LOL) Can you tell that I have had wayyyy too many surgeries ?

missy
2 ligament recons right ankle
2 arthroscopic,
5 open knee procedures
2 Plica removals
bone spur removal
2 microfractures
4 debridements
2 open LOAs all on left knee
Arthritis,both knees, ankles, shoulders, elbows, hands,spine
Fibromyalgia
Arthrofibrosis
LOA & PKR 2/15/06
RA
in pain mgmt
TKR JAN 2012

Offline amy1

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • User's Text
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2005, 05:09:22 PM »
I also have some fairly large spurs.  I am going to have a lateral release and medial plication.  The doctor will remove the spurs at the same time
6/2004 partial lateral meniscus removal and microfracture left knee
7/13/05  open lateral release, medial plication, spur removal right knee
12/06  re do proximal realignment right knee (scar tissue formed ) 5 days post op - fell and fractured elbow
08/2009 - feeling good so far work 50 hrs a week

shadehawk

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2005, 09:56:39 PM »
Found this article on bone spurs and found it very interesting.....

Definition: Bone spurs, or osteophytes, are bony projections that form along joints, and are often seen in conditions such as arthritis. Bone spurs are largely responsible for limitations in joint motion and can cause pain.
The reason for bone spur formation is the body is trying to increase the surface area of the joint to better distribute weight across a joint surface that has been damaged by arthritis or other conditions. Unfortunately, this is largely wasted effort by our body as the bone spur can become restrictive and painful.

Bone spurs themselves are not problematic, but they are a signal of an underlying problem that often needs to be addressed. Bone spurs are often documented to help assess the severity of a condition such as arthritis.

Shade

Offline Cari

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2005, 03:05:03 AM »
I had a Fulkerson TTT and 7 months later I had the screws removed. * months after that the pain was even worse and an emergency MRI and Bone Scan showed that there were a few rather large bone spurs formed at the site where my screws use to be. My OS does not fill the screw holes once the screws are removed as he lets them heal naturally. My screw holes aparantly went "haywire" and the bone material was continuing to form and pile up as if there was much larger screw holes to fill. He removed the bone spurs a week later and he told me based on where they were they HAD TO come out.  A relatively minor procedure it was but, the bone became so fragile I was baned from full weight bearing and made to use crutches for 4 weeks so there would be no chance of fracture.

My OS said many people have bone spurs and don't even know it becasue they have no symptoms of any pain or problems happening !

Cari
open lateral release 10/85, various scopes 1994-1998 for debridement, medial release 11/98,  TTT(Fulkerson)& lateral release 11/30/99, screw removal 6/27/00, tibial repair 2/13/01, dx RSD 6/25/01

Offline costumer

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2007, 03:03:55 AM »
Bone spurs are extra development of bone tissue - often shaped like a hook, or a beak, something that pokes out a bit. Commonly you hear about people having bone spurs on their heel which hurts a lot because you're stepping on them. Vertebrae can grow them too (my mom was told she had one you could hang a towel on!) But as you all know, your knees can also get them. Mine have tripled in size since March <sigh>.

They used to take them out, but current opinion is that they are simply part of arthritis - an indicator. Unless a spur is causing actual damage they usually don't bother with them since they can grow back (so what's the point?). If it's digging a hole in the patella, that's a problem. If it's poking a nerve, that's a problem. If you fall on it and it breaks off... that can be a problem if it gets stuck in the joint.  If it's sticking out into space, that's not a problem and they don't care that you can actually feel it through the skin.

Mostly they notice them and then ignore them.

-Judy
Dx: bi-lat subluxating patellae w/chondromalacia 4/1977
6/78 LR - LK
1/80 TTT-Hauser LK; 12/80 Proximal Realignment Mystery- RK
1/82 Maquet TTT- LK
11/06 Meniscectomy; Mild OA- RK, 12/06 Meniscectomy; Mod OA- LK
3/07 Bi-lat severe arthritis
9/18/07 bi-lat TKR

Offline hugo

• Regular Poster
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2008, 07:06:21 PM »
A+ thread... I had an idea of what spurs are, but this thread clarified it for me.

I apparently have some spurs, probably due to my lack of cartilage and damage...

Offline chrisMancini

• Regular Poster
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2008, 08:40:19 PM »
I have had TKA in May 2008. A month Post Op I felt a hard nodule on the lateral; side of my knee.. painful. OS thought it was a nerve or tissue bundle. I had an Xray to chekc the joint last week and it revealed a 3/4'' by 1" bone fragment. My OS said it was an osteophyte. Has anyone whose had TKA or PKA ever had this?
thanks
Lt knee Meniscou  6/07
Lt Knee Plica rem 10/07
Rt Knee Meniscous  12/07
Lt TKA 5/08/2008
 Rt TKA 10/15/2008

Offline digginit

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2008, 11:47:45 PM »
Chris that osteophyte was there before your surgery.  They'll clip off all the osteophytes and rough edges during your surgery that affect your TKA, but people with OA have osteophytes...it's just part of it...and they wouldn't try to clean all of 'em out during your TKA.  I don't see them developing after surgery, and certainly not within a month of surgery.

~dig