Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Partial Menisectomy  (Read 3164 times)

Offline cm

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Partial Menisectomy
« on: June 25, 2003, 08:01:33 PM »
Hopefully this is helpful:

I had a partial menisectomy done in early April.    I tore my medial meniscus skiing in late March, causing locking in my knee (bucket handle tear that flipped over).

Went in for surgery in the morning, had general anesthesia, and woke up as they were wheeling me out of the OR.   Felt FANTASTIC.   (They sure figured out what anti-nausea meds to give me this time, since with my first surgery I was nauseous and in pain when I woke up.)    Was able to do a straight leg raise and flex the knee immediately, with no pain.    Stood up to get dressed within about 30 minutes and took a few gentle steps.   Also no pain.

Went home and took a Lortab in case it might start to hurt, but quit when I realized everything felt fine.   Used one crutch for getting into the house and up the stairs to the living room, but just kept it nearby after that.    Kept it iced and elevated way above my heart for the first 24 hours and went to work around lunchtime the next day.    (Kept it elevated on my desk at work.)   Had very little swelling from the start.

Started physical therapy the next week - back to full ROM at about 2.5 weeks.   At 5 weeks I had my final visit with my OS, who released me to full activity and had me fitted for a Donjoy Defiance brace (since now with a slightly stretched ACL and part of the meniscus gone I'm more at risk for instability during my more agressive sports).   I've been mountain biking and dirt biking since and it feels great.    Still working on evening out the muscles (I don't think they ever quite got even from my ACL reconstruction a few years ago and I'm right leg dominant in the first place.)  

I went into this surgery pretty worried, but it turned out very well and I'm feeling great and back to doing everything I want to do.   My OS warned me that I did have a bit of arthritis on my articular cartilege (looks like it was damage from skiing on the torn/flipped piece of meniscus).   I've been taking SAM-e, Glucosamine and Chondroitin supplements which seem to help.   I stopped taking them for about 2 weeks and noticed mild discomfort in the joint, but it disappeared again once I started taking the supplements again.

I did 7 weeks of PT, starting with 3x/wk, down to 1x/wk for the last 3 weeks.    I now just hit the gym 2x/wk, and ride 3x/wk.

Left knee ACL reconstruction w/hamstring graft and meniscus repair 10/00
Left knee bucket handle meniscus tear - partial meniscetomy 4/8/03

Iona_-Uk

Re: Partial Menisectomy
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2003, 08:49:49 AM »
Hi CM

Thank you for sharing your success with us, it's very inspirational & motivating for us to hear your experiences in such a positive outcome.

Congratulations
Iona

support