Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Can patella infera be shown in a MRI??  (Read 850 times)

Offline Freddie_25

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Can patella infera be shown in a MRI??
« on: February 16, 2007, 09:54:05 AM »
Hello everyone

I had a MRI about 2 months ago after my 5:th op in my left knee. I did a microfrature. After the op I've had complications with scar tissue in the fat pad and my patellar tendon has scarred into the fat pad. I t feels very tight in my knee and hurts almost all the time. The result from the MRI said that I had som damege of the cartilage in the femur-patellar joint, which I didn't have before op. I wonder if it cold be because of the patellar tendon has scarred into the fat pad and scar tissue and it is pulling the patella downwards (patella infera), causing it to damage the cartilage behinf the patalla. But if this is the case shouldn't be seen in the MRI?

Grateful if someone has an answer to this.

/freddie

Offline hottubpam

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
Re: Can patella infera be shown in a MRI??
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2007, 05:38:21 PM »
From Dr. Noyes tutorial on arthrofibrosis:

"However, one can measure the amount of patellar tendon shortening using a method we published many years ago. A lateral x-ray is obtained of both knees and the height of the patella is measured, which allows interpretation of the length of the patellar tendon. The measurement of the involved knee is compared with the opposite knee, and the resulting difference indicates the amount of patella infera present."

So xrays can show patella infera better (and much less costly) then MRI

Pam
« Last Edit: February 16, 2007, 06:50:49 PM by hottubpam »
ACLR, Menisectomy 3/04; ACL resection, Cyclops lesion removal, LOA & MUA 10/04; LOA, LR & AIR 12/29/04;#4&5 surgery on 2/9/05 & 3/2/05 debridement, irrigation & lavage, portal closure; #6  LOA, AIR, LR & other releases 12/9/05; #7 surgery 1/18/06 portal closure, lavage, debrid etc #8 skin graft 3/06

Offline missmyknee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 20
  • From the Land of OZ
Re: Can patella infera be shown in a MRI??
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2007, 07:59:29 PM »
My patella baja/infera was diagnosed thru xrays of both my patellas , measurements taken from the xrays , physical exam and symptoms. My MRI showed the changes to my patella tendon from contracture and thickening. It also showed the cartilage damage to the backside of my patella.

Pam
4Fx Clsd red
IMrod fib plate
derotate osteotmy tibfib
AF
IPCS patbaja
DeLeeOsteotmy,LOA,LR Zplasty,bongrf,chondrplty
chondrplty,LOA,fatpad remvd
TKR
openLOA,neurectmy,ITB Zplasty,fabela
PLC recon,revison,LOA,synovec
MCL,revison LOA