Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Knee replacement  (Read 2030 times)

Offline benegan

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Knee replacement
« on: February 12, 2007, 02:05:49 AM »
I am a 58 year old male. I 've had 5 Othroscopic surgeries on my left knee since 2004. the first 2 for removal of Miniscus due to arthritis .  The 3rd was to stop a bleeder into my knee that was not successful.  A month later a new surgeon performed 4th and found a severed artery on the lateral side  and corterized it.  3 month recovery.   Since 2004 I have lost all the cartilage in the lateral side of my knee, Medial side is only slightly effected.   Xray shows bone on bone for the last 1 1/2 year on lateral side.  I have had 3 series of Syn Visc with success however the last shot of the latest series 4 weeks ago caused a reaction and me knee filled with fuid. After asperating the fluid blood test showed bacteria   After several more days of aspriatiing fluid surgeon performed 5th othroscopic surgery to clean it out with antibiotics and I had to go on antibiotic IV.  After 3 weeks of IV now on Keflex 21 days.  Surgeon recommends no more synvisc.

My question is, Surgeon suggests total knee replacement when I am ready.  I asked about partial replacemet but he suggested parcial only works on Medial side.  My problem is on lateral.  My concern is that I'm very active 58 year old, racing bicycles, expert skier, and playing Golf. 

I need to know what my limitations will be if I receive a total knee??  Are there others out there that have had this replacement with success and able to maintain regular activity, that will  respond?

Thank you
Benegan

Offline misshilde

• Forum Faithful
Re: Knee replacement
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2007, 05:31:40 AM »
Hey my surgeon has suggested PKR on the lateral side, however I still teach ballet and dance some too..welll not lately and from my research no hardware is able to perform the way I want....I have been stage 4 for 1 year and it's not feeling too good right now..but at 43 I'm still looking at least 2-3 replacements before I keal over....so as long as I can stand it, I'm waiting.....
looking into synvisc though..you were originally happy with it...??

Hilde
born with bad knee
83 patella ligament pierced by iceicle
84 50%  hamstring rip
86 lateral meniscus tear
more dance 
99 menisectomy(finally)
more dance
patellar & quad tendontis
05 LR, bonespur removal, general clean out, stage 4 OA
oct 06 illiophoas release( hip ok) but knee still bad...

Gary064

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2007, 10:51:01 AM »
Hi and welcome, you will get a lot of good advice and help on here.

A friend of mine has had TKR's in both knee's and still dances and plays golf.

Gary

Offline mells05

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2007, 04:39:49 PM »
My family has very bad knee genetics!
My father was in the same situation as you.  He had knee replacement on both knees in Oct.  He was off his feet for 4 weeks, started PT and was back to work the first week of December.  As long as you keep up with the PT and any simple exercises you will be fine in about 3-4 months.  He is doing great and doesn't regret it at all.  If you do have surgery, please be careful of any potential blood clots in the knees.  It is easier to get them with total knee replacement due to lack of range in motion.

You will be fine!
Good luck!
Mel ;D

Offline benegan

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2007, 07:27:42 PM »
Hey my surgeon has suggested PKR on the lateral side, however I still teach ballet and dance some too..welll not lately and from my research no hardware is able to perform the way I want....I have been stage 4 for 1 year and it's not feeling too good right now..but at 43 I'm still looking at least 2-3 replacements before I keal over....so as long as I can stand it, I'm waiting.....

Hilde

knee deep in Goo

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2007, 10:03:30 PM »
I had my knee replaced in december . I am 37.  I hit rock bottom basically before I had my knee replaced.    Golf is ok, Bike is ok.  .. Skiing maybe a gray area.  Snow mobile ?? better trade off ?   cross country sking prob better than down hills sking.

If you are going to go partial knee replacement .. There was this chick who was determined to play hockey.. and I am sure she was able to get herself fit enough .     I think she even did white water rafting ..

You are close to sixty so I would assume the OS would green light you.. real fast for a pkr or TKR..   Please keep in mind if your other knee compartments show signs of  OA you'd be better served doing a TKR prob. last you longer.

Offline misshilde

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2007, 04:36:31 AM »
Ok here's my thing about TKR or PKR....they won't bend more than 125-130...I need to be able to kneel and sit on my knees which is 155..heel to butt...I also need to be able to turn and change directions fast as in piruettes...right now I can do all that with some pain...my hip, which I had arthoscopic surgery on in Oct is what's giving me most greef now..knee just swells and is painful now and again....no jumping, running or walking more than 1 1/2 mile..oh yeah stairs are no longer my friend.....other than that I'm ok..I ran out og glucosamine and I think that's why I have more troubles than usual...

Hilde
born with bad knee
84 50%  hamstring rip
86 lateral meniscus tear
more dance 
99 menisectomy(finally)
more dance

knee deep in Goo

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2007, 10:34:50 AM »
    *   be placed using existing surgical techniques, including Zimmer  Minimally Invasive Solutions ™ (MIS™) Procedures, which typically offer smaller scars, shorter hospitalization and quicker rehabilitation and recovery; and

* accommodate high flexion (up to 155 degrees), for patients with the desire and ability to do so.
http://www.zimmer.com/ctl?template=PC&op=global&action=1&id=9435

Offline benegan

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2007, 03:27:55 PM »

Hilde

I don't know how to reply or ask a question so I'm just trying different things     Here goes.   To answer your question about the syn visc click on http://orthopedics.about.com/cs/treatment/a/synvisc.htm to check this web or google synvisc!   The therapy is a series of 3 injections, 1 per week for 3 weeks up to twice a year.   Most insurance will pay for it.  The results I had were excellent however with the last shot of the latest series ending Dec. 28th I had a reaction and my knee filled with fluid.  I had to have it asperated, fluid removed and the result was a staff infection in my knee from the needle.  This is rare  the Doctor had only seen one in 10 years.   The OS did othroscopic surgury   and cleaned with antibiotics, clean up some miniscus, and removed some scaring form prior surgury. I'm on antibiotics for 6 weeks.         I have no cartalege on the lateral side and perfect on the medial side.   You suggested PKR on Lateral side but my OS told it couldn't be done.   Can yoiu confirm Lateral side.   Right now I'm having trouble skiing but not snow shoeing.  Rifding bike is OK since I use the inside of the knee to do it.    OS said no more activity after TKR.  Is that what you have heard?

Offline misshilde

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2007, 07:54:42 PM »
Hey, yes my doc said I could have pkr on the lateral side...I haven't wanted to because allthough you can do alot , my career as a ballet teacher would almost none existant...however after jumping on the site knee deep in goo sent me to, I might change my mind...well not yet....but I am going to see my doc today and talk to him about both synvisc and pkr.....as for the activity level after a tkr...the people I see at the pt office seams to be doing good..however most of them are a lot older than me and never danced or were professinal athletes..but I know there are people out there ....somewhere....

Hilde
born with bad knee
84 50%  hamstring rip
86 lateral meniscus tear
more dance 
99 menisectomy(finally)
more dance