Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: New here :) Advice needed please  (Read 1557 times)

Offline DonnaA

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
New here :) Advice needed please
« on: February 12, 2007, 09:19:05 AM »
Hi everyone,

I'm Donna and have just joined the forum. It looks a friendly place so I'm hoping someone can help me out with my knee problems  :)

Short history - beginning of Decemeber 2006 - at a Christmas party, dancing and having fun! Next thing I was on my butt on the floor!! I was helped up, able to walk with some help, rested for a few minutes, and thought I was ok - went to walk and went over again very hard onto my butt again! I had had a drink so pain was not immediate!!!  ;)  What was immediate was massive swelling.

Next morning got up, unable to straighten my leg, and unable to walk without help. Lots of pain, and a huge left knee. Knee was very unstable.

Went to see the doctor - RICE treatment and anti inflammatories, X-Ray's taken, nothing broken. Appt made to see OS 10 days later, once swelling had gone down. Saw OS who requested an MRI, which was done the following week. It was then Xmas and New Year so was not able to see OS again until the 10th Jan. MRI results showed ruptured ACL and tears to both Medial and Lateral ligaments, medial was a grade II-III tear, lateral grade I-II, no meniscal damage. Went into hospital for arthoscopy on the 15th Jan where the OS confirmed a ruptured ACL but said the rest of the knee looked fine  :-\ - odd - wouldn't the ligament tears show? The OS cleaned up the ends of the torn ACL, discharged me from hospital and said to have physio. When I questioned about having the ACL re structured, he said a decision would be made in a few months.

I'm now 4 weeks post op and my knee is in a bad way. I cannot straighten it, and when I attempt to, it hurts just under my knee cap, to the inside of my knee. It feels as though there is something stuck which is physically stopping my knee going straight. I can also only bend my knee to 90 degree before I get pain in the same place. Also, my knee is not stable, I've had a few collapsing incidents so I have no confidence in my knee at all. My physio has done no work on my knee for fear of doing more damage as he does not understand why my knee appears 'stuck'. I saw my OS again last week and he has now said my physio must work me knee hard for 3 weeks and then I have to go back to the OS for a follow up again - at that point he may have the MRI scan repeated. My appt with the OS is the 28 Feb, first physio appt is the 14th as I couldn't see him before!

I am so frustrated and the whole situation is now really getting me down. Are my symptoms normal for this type of injury or has someone missed something??  I've gone from being really active to doing nothing and its driving me insane!

HELP!!!  ???

Thanks in advance

Donna

redtoblack

Re: New here :) Advice needed please
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2007, 05:23:09 PM »
Sorry for your trouble.  My injury was different than yours, but as far as the MCL and LCL go, they usually just have to heal on their own (non-surgically).  As far as the extension, it could be a number of things.  You may have a lot of swelling that is putting pressure on things in there, or something else could be torn.  Does your OS have you in a brace?  If you arenít going to have your ACL fixed, maybe talk to him/her about a brace.

As for now, just take it easy and try to do as much of the PT as you are able.  You donít want your muscles to atrophy.  Good luck and try to get past the next few days.  Hopefully the PT will help you until you can get into your OS again.

Jordan

Offline DonnaA

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2007, 07:32:07 AM »
Thanks Jordan,

No I don't have my knee in a brace - the PT said he would do that once I had better ROM - catch 22 really then :(

I do want my ACL repaired, sooner rather than later, I do (did!) a lot of scuba diving, going to the gym etc and also want to do a trek to Everest base camp next year, can't do any of those very easily with a knackered knee!

Oh well, back to PT tomorrow, see what he says then.

Donna

redtoblack

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2007, 09:08:33 PM »
Donna-

Find out what your OS thinks at your appointment about the ACL.  If you aren't happy with the options, or if your OS doesn't seem willing to listen to your concerns, get a second opinion.  Make sure your OS knows how this is affecting your lifestyle.  Sometimes they just assume that you sit at a desk for 8 + hours a day and it doesn't really matter when you get it fixed.

Best of luck to you!!

Jordan

Offline DonnaA

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Update on my knee....
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2007, 08:27:03 AM »
Update:

Saw PT today who tried to get my leg straight with some quite hard pushing. My knee wasn't playing ball at all - PT said he is not at all happy with what's going on, and there really is nothing that he can do until the reason why I can't straighten is sorted out. PT said he can actually feel my knee catching when he attempts to push it straight. He also confirmed it is not muscle tightness as my hamstrings etc are nice and relaxed and loose. PT thinks it may be meniscus damage as the pain I feel is all in the medial joint line. I'm surprised it wasnt picked up at either the first MRI or the scope?

PT suggested I went to see my OS asap - luckily, the clinic was on today so with a bit of persuasion, I got in to see him. Result - repeat of MRI scan!!! This will be done early next week, so hopefully I will finally find out what's going on.

Frustrated is an understament.

Donna

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2007, 06:44:24 PM »
GOODLUCK Donna, I hope this MRI will show something. Unfortunately MRI's are not 100% and .. well even an OS doing a scope isn't because if they aren't looking for a tear they may not see one. 
I am surprised they haven't gotten you a brace. I partially tore my ACL back in May and that was the first thing they did even before an MRI, got me fitted with a brace so I would atleast not injure myself further.

Hope the MRI shows what the problem is
Linney
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?

Offline DonnaA

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2007, 12:51:49 PM »
2nd MRI tomorrow.... fingers crossed  ::)

redtoblack

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2007, 03:06:27 PM »
I hope you get some answers!!!

Jordan

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2007, 08:29:04 PM »
GOODLUCK :D
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury

Offline DonnaA

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Update - and more questions :)
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2007, 09:08:54 AM »
MRI didn't show anything new, other than there is still lots of swelling in the knee joint (I can't see any external swelling now), which is presumably why I can't straighten? I'm using ice etc still and taking anti inflammatories to try and get the swelling down - any other suggestions?
Although I don't understand why I still have so much pain when bending and straightening if its 'only' the swelling causing the lack of motion? MRI also confirms that my knee appears to have very little stability - I know that, it gave way on me twice at the weekend!

I'm seeing the OS again next week, will see how that goes and then make a decision as to whether I need to see another OS. Out of interest, can anyone advise me when is the 'best' time to have an ACLr after the initial injury - how much ROM should I have prior to surgery etc etc? I'm at a bit of a loss as to where to go from here  ???

Thanks for your help.

Donna

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2007, 11:12:27 AM »
From what i've read the sooner after injury the better, because obviously preventing damage to other parts of the knee is key.  However, they like you to have a full range of motion and as much quad strength back as possible.

GOODLUCK!

Linney
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2004 LR LK

support