Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: torn cartilage help  (Read 1286 times)

Offline sav1

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
torn cartilage help
« on: February 10, 2007, 03:45:37 PM »
i have been told i have a torn cartilage in my left knee i still have movement in my knee theres no pain just a clicking sound when i walk upstairs,has anyone got any advice about this will it heal itself and can i exercise as normal or should i be resting it, thanks

Offline sarah1928

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: torn cartilage help
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2007, 04:10:43 PM »
Hi there

Sorry to hear that your having problems. From what I know if the blood supply gets to that area of the knee thats torn it can heel itself overtime it's not unusal for that to happen, but some areas blood flow doesn't get to it, so i've heard I personally wouldn't over stress the knee cause that could aggrevate it more and cause more problems. Did you OS recommend any surgery to fix this problem? if you are experiencing pain with it maybe thats a good option to think about

Hope it all works out

Sarah

Offline sav1

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2007, 04:17:30 PM »
 thanks for your reply, i only seen my gp she just said to leave it she also said i was ok to use my cross trainer as long as i took it easy but im a bit nervous as i dont want to make it worse as it has been a little bit sore odd times but nothing too drastic

Offline mells05

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2007, 04:18:17 PM »
How did they determine you had the tear?  Did you get a MRI?  

Depending on the severity, there is always PT.

Good luck!

Offline sav1

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2007, 04:21:10 PM »
i havent had any tests she just listened to the clicking sound it makes and told me i had torn it and that was it so im not too sure what to do,

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 214
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2007, 06:24:29 PM »
Hi

Put your trainer aside for a few days or so, give your knee a rest and time to heal.

Best wishes

JohnK/ Manchester UK
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline sarah1928

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2007, 11:37:31 PM »
Hi

Give the knee some rest time for the next few days and see if it settles down. If your still feeling a problem with it then return to your GP and insist that you want to be reffered to a OS, your within your right to. Don't leave it if you feel that it's not improving any, an OS may have a completly different opinion of the situation.

Sarah

Offline sav1

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2007, 12:54:26 PM »
hi again just thought i would let u know i did as u suggested and rested my knee it still stayed the same i went and seen another doctor who examined my knee and said it wasent a torn cartilage he just said it would calm down itself and gave me some diclofenac to take and said to wait a few month and see how it goes im thinking it may be arthritus as my gran and my dad both suffer from it in there knees but im hoping its not. thank you for your advice

Offline sarah1928

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2007, 02:32:18 PM »
Hi there

Sorry to hear that your knee still hasn't settled down with rest. You did the right thing going and seeing another doctor, and a good thing is that you haven't torn the cartliage after all, so no need to worry about surgery. Did the doctor mention the possiility of arthritis? it is possible especially if your gran and dad both suffer from it.
My advice is do what the doctor says and see what happens, but if you feel theres no improvement or you feel it's getting worse, then go back sooner and ask for x-rays, MRI's and further tests to be done.

Hope you start to feel better

Sarah