Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Injured knee - continued pain  (Read 972 times)

Offline carols

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Injured knee - continued pain
« on: February 09, 2007, 03:14:42 AM »
Hi everyone.  I am new to this site and have a question regarding a bad fall I took in November and injured my left knee.  My MRI showed an acute partial ACL rupture.  Sprain of medial lateral and lateral collateral ligaments.  Moderate size joint effusion.   Bone contusion of the lateral femoral condyle.  Bone marrow edema throughout the visualized portion of the proximal tibia.  I had considerable swelling from knee to foot (twice the size of my right leg) for over two months.  My initial visit to OS I was told he could not diagnose anything because of swelling and no range of motion.  He referred me to PT.  After 6 weeks of PT, I returned to OS and he told me there was nothing wrong with my knee and I just need to think of it as "someone took a baseball bat to my knee".  My PT feels I may have meniscus injury due to the location of the pain and a few tests he did.  He sent his recommendations and progress report to the OS with recommendation of a second MRI.  The OS said he has never received. I still have considerable pain in the knee when I am in a sitting position with knee bent and unable to straighten leg.  I am unable to walk without a limp.  When I asked the OS how long I might anticipate having the pain, I was told it may take another 6 months or could have all my life.  Can anyone offer any experiences ......... should I anticipate the pain lasting for the rest of my life?  Any advice is appreciated.  Thanks.

Offline hntndaylight

• Regular Poster
    • Ironheart-Images
Re: Injured knee - continued pain
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2007, 04:09:24 AM »
Were it me, I'd check with another OS. What you describe is a lot of difficulty to endure without at least the attempt at repairing. Plus MRI's can be wrong. I was locked at 15 degrees after my accident, couldnt do anything due to pain. OS sent me for an MRI and then scheduled me for surgery within 2 weeks.

In my case, the MRI showed the meniscus injury, but under estimated my MCL injury (it showed partial MCL tear, yet it was completely stranded and destroyed when he opened it up. It showed my PCL as pulled apart yet it was actually pulled loose from my tibia.

My results from surgery are not what I anticipated, but, at this moment I am better than I ever dared hope for 4 months ago if that makes sense. I wish I was all better and back to normal, but I am beginning to accept that I will be lucky to return to normal activity and reasonably pain free in another 2 years.
40 years old
R. k. ruptured PCL, MCL, tibial plateau fracture, and  double  meniscus tears in farm accident, Oct 15, 06.

Reattached/repaired scope and open knee surgery Oct 27, 06.

R.K 'clean up'  meniscus, plica, scar tissue, arthritis with scope Dec 28, 2007

Absent ACL found Dec 28, 2007

Offline carols

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Injured knee - continued pain
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2007, 04:20:25 PM »
Thank you so much for the feedback.  I am seriously considering a second opinion as I felt the OS should have done some checking before 'writing me off' so to say.  Thanks again.