Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Kelsey's TTT  (Read 12098 times)

Offline RMancini

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Re: Kelsey's TTT
« Reply #60 on: February 28, 2007, 05:59:27 PM »
Kelsey:

Sounds to me like you're doing great.  All normal stuff.  You will be passing me and Bri soon.  ; )
Fulkerson on Left knee- 26-Jan-07
Residence: Maryland

Offline Kelsey

• Forum Faithful
  • several
« Reply #61 on: March 01, 2007, 12:31:19 AM »
DAY 15

My second day back at school was today. I decided to stick with the crutches, but did put a little more weight on my leg because my arms and other leg are sore. It went ok again, still increased pain and swelling but i know this is to be expected, theres no way around it and it will get better from here. Once i got home i put my leg right up and put my cyrocuff on to help control the swelling a little.

The back of my leg has really been bothering me, especially when i go to bend it when im sitting or something and i couldnt figure out why. But when i was in the shower i took a look and the whole back of my knee is bruised to, big purple bruises. I guess thate explains it! haha I am amazed by the bruising this time, my calf and shin are bad and now the back. it certainly makes for a sore leg. Not sure what to do about the bruises, I guess they will just go away in time.

Hope everyone else had a good day, thinking of shade as her TTT was today and of Claire and her accident.

kelsey
15 yrs. old
tons of dislocations and subluxations on both knees
TTT/LR/medial reefing on left knee- August 29, 2006
TTT/LR/medial reefing on right knee- February 13, 2007

Offline goalie

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Fulkerson R knee Feb.8/07
« Reply #62 on: March 01, 2007, 01:19:06 AM »
Kelsey,

Glad things are going okay for you being back at school.  I am sure you are happy to be back with your friends.  Hopefully you don't have too much work to catch up on.

I too had the biggest bruise on the back of my knee - I was shocked too!  It was worse behind my knee and at the edge of my foot by my ankle than anywhere else.  It must be where the OS grabs the knee to manipulate it during surgery.

Take Care, Goalie

Offline Kelsey

• Forum Faithful
  • several
« Reply #63 on: March 01, 2007, 10:52:48 PM »
Day 16

I cant wait for this first week of school to be over with, because i am exhusted! Today went a little better maybe, still waiting for getting around so much to get a bit easier. We probably wont have school tomorrow anyways, big storm headed this way. Im really anxious to start PT on monday and start making some real progress. My other knee is holding up very well, ive had to hop and bounce and twist and just move around on it in ways that would normall equal an instant dislocation. It is sore but i think thats to be expected with PWB.

Goalie,
It is nice to be back. Im a people person so i didnt like sitting home for two weeks with just vistors and my family so i missed my friends! I dont actually have toooo much work just because it was the week before vacation and then the week of vacation that i missed. Much better then the last surgery. Hope things are going well for you.

Kelsey
15 yrs. old

Offline Stacey

• Regular Poster
« Reply #64 on: March 01, 2007, 11:48:02 PM »
Kelsey
Congrats on doing so well only 16 daysafter! I was laid up for 15 days with pain at a 9 or 10 the slowly got better~ The bruse took so long to go away on the back of my leg, but PT will help tons! good luck with that on Monday! Glad you are feeling so well! get some rest!
Stacey
21 years old
L- LR 2002
R- LR 2002
Right leg TTT and LR- May 11, 2006
Screw removal December 2006
Left leg TTT and LR- May 17, 2007
Screw Removal September 2007

Offline Kelsey

• Forum Faithful
  • several
« Reply #65 on: March 03, 2007, 03:21:44 PM »
DAY 18

Well yesterday we had a snow day! So i got to stay home from school and catch up on some much needed rest. I iced my leg and kept  it up for most of the day, and there is a big improvement in the swelling and pain. It was nice to have a day to relax after the first week back! Even a little of the bruising is starting to fade on one side of my leg, not on the other yet though.

Im starting to put more and more weight on my leg when im walking, and I think about 50 % now which is what my OS told me. Last time i didn tknow how to go about putting 50% of my weight on my leg while walking until i went to PT and she taught me the correct way to walk. This time i think i have a head start because im already walking with the heel to toe motion, so im hoping this will help me out a bit.

I cant wait to start PT on monday!!

Kelsey
15 yrs. old

brianne

« Reply #66 on: March 03, 2007, 10:33:47 PM »
Kelsey,

Hooray for snow days!  My office had a few snows days while I was out after my surgery...helped me not loose any pay.  :)

Good luck when you start PT on Monday.  Sounds like things are going well for you.

Hopefully the bruising will continue to decrease. 

Brianne

Offline Kelsey

• Forum Faithful
  • several
« Reply #67 on: March 06, 2007, 01:39:53 AM »
DAY 20
I had my first PT today. It went pretty good, pretty much what i expected. I bent my leg to 80 degrees, even though my brace is still set on 40. I worked on quad sets with the towel, and ROM on my stomache. I also did the bike, not going all the way around of course. She moved my knee cap around some and immediately says "WOW your knee is not going anywheres!" SHe said she thinks he got this one super tight, and it seemed to scar down more after the surgery so she thinks i will have a harder time getting my ROM back then last time.

So my exercises for home are...

1) Bike to stretch my leg out, not all the way around
2) ankle pumps
3) quad sets with a towel under my knee for support
4)ROM on stomach
5) leg lights on stomach (little leg lifts haha)

I was supposed to go back this week cause i go twice a week but she is out of town, and i wont be able to do much more then that until next week anyways. So ive already done all these things a bunch tonight, my leg is nice and tired. Its so nice to have something to work on

Today went better back at school, running off a whole weekend of rest. Besides the fact im wicked tired cause i have to get up at 5 in the morning to be to my PT appointment at 6:30!!!!

The pain was somewhat less and the bruising is starting to fade more as well. I could actually put a shoe on my foot today. progress ;D

hope everyone had a great day!

Kelsey
15 yrs. old

brianne

« Reply #68 on: March 06, 2007, 01:46:27 AM »
Kelsey,

It is interesting because your PT exercises differ from what I did early on...but its known that the same surgery has different post-op protocols. 

Isn't it nice to be able to wear a shoe again?

I got my ROM back so much quicker with this second one.  I guess each surgery can be a little different in what happens.

Brianne

Offline RMancini

• Regular Poster
« Reply #69 on: March 06, 2007, 03:56:21 PM »
Kelsey:

You are doing great.  With your bruising and your pain going away...  and your progress coming along, it looks like everything is heading in the right direction.

Am very happy for you. 80 degrees ROM at the three week period is very good.  You are going to be able to make that bike pedal go all the way around in the next couple of days and then you'll be at 110 degrees before you know it.

I can remember not long ago you were not sleeping through the night, you were enduring blood rushes, bad pain in your leg, you were worried about ROM..    and now you're flying along. 

Fulkerson on Left knee- 26-Jan-07
Residence: Maryland

Offline Kelsey

• Forum Faithful
  • several
« Reply #70 on: March 07, 2007, 10:32:08 PM »
THREE WEEKS

Well i just passed the three week mark yesterday. and the difference in huge from last week in school and stuff. the pain is minimual now, even when i am up. of course im tired and sore by the end of the day, but everyone who has this done knows what i mean. around the three week mark you usually hit a turning point and everything seems a lot easier. im so happy!

Brianne,
what did you do your first few weeks of PT?

Rob,
your right, the progress is much more noticeable now. How are you doing?

Kelsey
15 yrs. old

brianne

« Reply #71 on: March 08, 2007, 01:54:01 AM »
Kelsey,

My first few weeks of PT were mostly ROM, basic strengthening, and reducing swelling.  Typical exercises included:
* Wall Slides
* Heel Slides
* Short Arc Quads
* E-Stim
* SLR's
* Massage
* Ultrasound
* lots and lots of ice

What are you doing in PT?

You are right, it seems to get a lot easier after week three.

Keep up the good work.

Brianne

Offline shade

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • An obstacle is often a stepping stone.
« Reply #72 on: March 08, 2007, 03:09:12 PM »
Kelsey,

Congrats, things seem to be moving along with your rehab.  Glad to hear you've turned another corner and feeling less pain, that's GREAT.  Take care.....

Brianne,   OMG that sounds like a big workout - makes me tired - he!! he!!  I've been laying around elevating and icing since my rehab doesn't begin for awhile, then the recumbent bike becomes my best friend.  Oh well, we all reach the end game despite the different protocols. 

Have a great knee day everyone.  ~shade   
« Last Edit: March 08, 2007, 05:05:30 PM by shade »
July '05 (RK) - LR/debridement
Mar '06 (RK) - Open LR + Allograft w/OBI TruFit Plug + Fulkerson TTT
 Feb '07 (LK) - LR + Fulkerson TTT

Offline Kelsey

• Forum Faithful
  • several
« Reply #73 on: March 10, 2007, 02:43:30 PM »
Hey everyone!

Im sorry its been so long, i dont even know what day it is. its almost 4 weeks though. ive been busy this past week between school and everything else. my knee feels so great, of course i stil have the brace and crutches but its just such a big improvement, the pain is minimal now. i love it! ;D Ive just been working on PT and stuff, waiting to go back on tuesday to find out if ive made much progress.

Brianne,
sounds like our PT protocals are much different as wel, we are just on complete opposite ends of the spectrum!! haha. I hope your knees are both doing well, i know your not having much luck with the shoulder yet.

Shade,
How is your pain so far? Your defiantly right about reaching the end besides the different protocals, couldnt be more true. From what ive read,  I think both our OS's seem to have a more consevative approach.

Have a good day everyone!!

Kelsey
15 yrs. old

Offline Kelsey

• Forum Faithful
  • several
« Reply #74 on: March 14, 2007, 11:43:56 PM »
ONE MONTH

give or take a day or two, its been a little over a month since my surgery. Things are really going good, still hobbling around with the brace nad crutches, about 50 percent of my weight on my leg.

My knee feels great, the brusing is gone and the scar looks a little thinner and better then my other one. The pain is almost non existant most of the time, except for soreness ands tuff like that and when i do PT.

PT is going really good. I have a lot of exercises im doing. This might not sound like much to people like Brianne or others who move along faster, but i can do a good quad set and just started doing SLR!!! That is so exciting for me because last time it was almost two months before i had the muscle control to do that, so im hoping everything will move along fast this time.

The only real problem is i have a really bad rash on my leg that is super itcy. We dont think it is because of the brace because it is all over my leg.  Ive tried using different itch lotions like bendry and calamine lotion but it only works for a little bt. anyone have any ideas?? its driving me up the wall!!

Sorry i havent posted in so long, ive been super busy. We had our basketball banquet tonight to end our season offically, and my 16th birthday is next week!!!! Im going to be leaving for a youth retreat on march 23 (my birthday) so im pretty excited about that. Hope everyone else is doing great....rob, brianne, tangerine, claire, shade....

:)

Kelsey
15 yrs. old

support