Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Kelsey's TTT  (Read 12097 times)

Offline Kelsey

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • several
Re: Kelsey's TTT
« Reply #45 on: February 24, 2007, 03:23:22 AM »
DAY 9
Today was a pretty good day. A good thing is im definatly not sick anymore, the nausea is totally gone. The blood rushes are starting to get a little better i think. I didnt get to go out today, but tomorrow im going to. Pretty much, the same. Just waiting around now for monday!

Goalie,
Sounds like your incision and knee are looking great, just like they should. My PWB is going good, i was doing it the second i got out of hte hospital bed, even if it was just my toes. At first i didnt put much weight on, but now im starting to do a little more. I try to do the heel to toe motion to help things out a bit. My OS isnt to concerned about it the first two weeks, as he wants some inital bone healing. But Monday, well last time anyways, he will tell me to start putting more weight on it and of course my PT will guide me along with that.

Kelsey
15 yrs. old
tons of dislocations and subluxations on both knees
TTT/LR/medial reefing on left knee- August 29, 2006
TTT/LR/medial reefing on right knee- February 13, 2007

Offline Kelsey

• Forum Faithful
  • several
« Reply #46 on: February 25, 2007, 10:21:51 PM »
DAY 12

Yesterday i went out with my boyfriend and parents, to the mall and out to eat after. It was nice to get out of the house for a change and do something fun :)

Today i noticed that the blood rushes around almost completely vanished!! ;D This makes getting around and up a lot easier.

Tomorrow i have my first appt. with my OS. He will take off all the dressings and the immoblizer and put my leg into a ROM brace, which im fairly sure he will open up to 40 degrees. Then i can take a shower!!!!! ;D I dont have to have any stitches removed, well at least last time i didnt because they are dissolvable. im really excited to see my knee and start making some progress, i will also start PT this week. My OS really wanted these first two weeks to be rest rest rest ice and elevation all the way, so thats what i've done. but i really want to start working on physical therapy and stuff like that. im anxious :)

Im going to go back to school tuesday as long as i get the OK from my OS. Last surgery, i was supposed to use the wheelchair for the first week and i did. but its hard to do in school. So im going to ask tomorrow if i can go straight to the crutches there instead of the wheelchair. I think my leg is ready for it, more so then last time.

My pain is really low these past two days, even when i went out it wasnt to to bad i was just tired. The blood rushes are totally gone and theres not much pain on my shin anymore either. I know this will change as i start to resume a normal life with day to day activities and are up more, but im just enjoying it well it lasts!

Kelsey
15 yrs. old

Offline RMancini

• Regular Poster
« Reply #47 on: February 26, 2007, 01:41:34 PM »
Kelsey:

Wow... that's excellent. The rushes are almost gone???  You got there faster than I did !  Congrats.  See how much better it is to be young when you are trying to heal up?

You will do fine in therapy... you have been there before right?

Am glad to see that you are progressing and experiencing less pain.  I assume you are getting more sleep now?

I certainly am.

Rob
Fulkerson on Left knee- 26-Jan-07
Residence: Maryland

Offline Kelsey

• Forum Faithful
  • several
« Reply #48 on: February 26, 2007, 08:00:08 PM »
DAY 13

I had my first post op appointment today and got to see my knee. It looks pretty good, the scar is the exact same as my last one just as i expected. I have a lot more brusing this time though, most my leg is yellow and orange with some blue. But i know a lot of that is idoine stuff. When i take a SHOWER yes, a shower, i'll be able to see how much of the orange is brusing and how much is idoine stuff. I can see big bruises all down the inside of my calf. Last time i had hardly any bruising at all, but each time is different so i hear.

First they took off the immolbizer and cut off al lthe dressings, and then they put me in the new bledso ROM brace which ill have on for an enternity, it feels like :) I can take it off to shower but i have to sleep with it on for a while still. He opened it up to 45 degrees. Just like last time, at first it feels like your leg is going to fall apart and right out the back of the brace because im so used to having it straight and wrapped up but i get used to it pretty quick. After working on it for a little while i can bend 45 degrees ok, not easily though. All my muscles and my whole leg really is just so stiff after staying straight for so long.

I didnt have to have any stitches removed because they are the dissolvible type. He also told me i could go back to school right on the crutches, instead of hte wheelchair!!!  ;D Which is exactly what i had been hoping for. He said i should be putting anywhere from 25% to 50% of my weight on my leg, which i have been doing anyways.

I talked to my physical therapist , Jenn, once i got home and scheduled appoinment for next Monday. I figured she would want me to alreayd start working on stuff and she does, just simple stuff like ROM as much as the brace will allow, quad sets,  and ankle pumps.

Tomorrow will be my first day back at school, up all day ehhh ::) cant wait to see how this goes.
As long as school goes ok i would come home then go back up to youth group, as long as my knee feels up to it. A long first day back!

Rob,
I am so glad the bloodrushes stopped finally. And yes i did all the therapy before, with the same therapist as well. I like her a lot, so im definatly sticking with her this time. I am getting a little more sleep, still not as much as normal. I do find when i wake up on my side its not as painful as it was at first.

Kelsey
15 yrs. old

Offline Kelsey

• Forum Faithful
  • several
« Reply #49 on: February 26, 2007, 08:50:56 PM »
oh yeah im gonna put pictures up ASAP.

does anyone else have any pictures. i actually have some from during surgery  :o :)
15 yrs. old

Offline shortyclairebear

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #50 on: February 26, 2007, 09:04:30 PM »
hi kelsey (you replied to my post earlier!!) ive just read your diary of the op as i think i have had the same sort of thing done as you,some of the things you have written i can so relate to!! when do you start physio on yours?? i am in the brace for another week and a half (it will have been on for 6 weeks then) and start it (im assuming) after it is taken off...................do some people have it sooner then 6 weeks after??
i know what you mean about the boredom!! it drives you crazy doesn't it!!
im a active person too and find it so hard stuck in all day!!
im glad the "blood rushes" were normal!! i was really worried about those when i had them! no one warned me you get those!!
at least now i have an idea of what the procedure was called i have had i can read other peoples posts and be in good company!!!
you sound as though you are doing really well and thanks again for your reply earlier!!
i had a motorcycle accident-landed on right knee!(mar 05)
...arthroscopy - 4th feb 06.
...VMO Advancement,LR+JMedial reefing - 24th jan 07.
...28 feb 07 i fell down 14 stairs.....more pain and stress!
...now at PT working on ROM and strenghening

brianne

« Reply #51 on: February 26, 2007, 10:36:23 PM »
Kelsey,

Sounds like things are coming along nicely for you.  Like you, I had more bruising the second time around.

As for the iodine, sometimes it can be hard to wash off.  My PT used rubbing alcohol and that gets it all off in no time.

Good luck when you go back to school tomorrow.  Be careful in the slippery hallways and make sure you take it slowly.

Claire,

I started PT four days after both of my TTT's.  My OS seems to be pretty agressive in his approach to recovery, but it has worked well for me.

Brianne

Offline shortyclairebear

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #52 on: February 26, 2007, 11:38:15 PM »
hi brianne,as you said you had physio 4 days after the op and mine will start 6 weeks after the op plus? (as im not sure yet when this will start yet til i go on the 6/3) do you think i will find it harder during physio as i have not had any yet????

sorry to post this in your diary kelsey i just wanted to answer briannes comment and ask this question!!

Offline Kelsey

• Forum Faithful
  • several
« Reply #53 on: February 27, 2007, 01:18:45 AM »
Brianne,
I just took my first shower. heaven ;D but tricky to do and i think i got some of the idoine washed off, the bruising is pretty apparent though. ill try tyo be careful tomorrow!!

Clarie,
dont worry about  posting questions in here, thats what its here for!! :) As for me will start next monday, which will be about 3 weeks post op.I have been doing some stuff on my own though. Have you been doing anything? If not, you might find it harder when you first start PT.

Kelsey
15 yrs. old

Offline shortyclairebear

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #54 on: February 27, 2007, 11:05:02 AM »
hi kelsey!! its great having your first shower after your op isn't it!! we have a bath and the shower is inside it,so its pretty hard getting into it when your leg doesn't bend!!  ;)

i havent been given any exercises to do at home by my os, he advised to rest! i have been walking about the house as much as i can and can get up and down the stairs and just rest my my knee tells me too!!

take care  :D

claire x

Offline shortyclairebear

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #55 on: February 27, 2007, 09:02:28 PM »
hello!! hope your'e ok today??!

Offline Kelsey

• Forum Faithful
  • several
« Reply #56 on: February 27, 2007, 09:23:55 PM »
TWO WEEKS

Well today was my first day back at school and it was pretty hard. I really havent been up much at all and i opted to use the crutches instead of hte wheelchair, which is defiantly harder at only the two week mark. I tried to put my leg up in most of my classes, because i stil cant keep it down for more then 10 minutes at a time without getting a tingly pounding sensation. About halfway through the day my knee was hurting pretty bad so i took some tylenol to finish out the rest of the day, but now i am very tired. The swelling went up a lot, my knee looks like a big softball! which is to be expected i knew. The bruising is absolutly disgusting though, ugh.  Im alive though! i made it through my first day back :)

My mom is a youth leader at our chuch, so i am going to go up there tonight but ill probably leave half way through, i dont want to over do it to bad.

Kelsey
15 yrs. old

Offline shortyclairebear

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #57 on: February 27, 2007, 09:32:58 PM »
hi kelsey glad your first day back went well!! your'e doing really well!! my knee looks "softball" looking today as well as i twisted it in the brace during the night as my leg came off the cushions!!

brianne

« Reply #58 on: February 27, 2007, 10:32:55 PM »
Kelsey,

The increase in swelling is to be expected as today was your first real big increase in activity.  Sounds like you did a good job.  Take it easy at Youth Group, but have fun too. 

School will get easier from here on out...the first day is always the hardest.  My first day back at work was hard, but each day after that got easier.  I think a lot of it is retraining yourslef to be up and active again.  Your body is used to resting and now it is not resting.

Brianne

Offline Kelsey

• Forum Faithful
  • several
« Reply #59 on: February 28, 2007, 01:51:32 AM »
Brianne,

I definatly know what you mean. My mom tonight was like "so do you want to take the wheelchair tomorrow?" And i just said no, it will really only get better from here. I thought the same thing about not being used to being up and around, and that will get better with time.

Well i just got back from youth group and i am quite exhusted. Now that i have my leg back up it feels better already, so i have some time to rest before i do it all again!!

Hope everyone had a good day.

Kelsey :)
15 yrs. old

support