Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Patella Screw Removal, LR, VMO Advancement  (Read 10634 times)

Offline kimmyxs

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
Re: Patella Screw Removal, LR, VMO Advancement
« Reply #45 on: March 11, 2007, 05:23:22 AM »
Hi Claire and Peggy,

Another weekend of judging.  This week those stairs were easier.  I found that I didn't even prop the foot up this time.  I wore jeans today and the rubbing against the scar wasn't too bad.  The swelling is gone - finally.  All in all I am thinking that the surgery was a success and I am only 8 weeks out.  The only pain site is really where the LR was done.   I am thinking that next year I will end up having this same surgery on the left leg.  Again, at least I will be prepared and understand what is ahead of me!

Claire aren't you so excited to ditch the brace.  The work finally gets to begin!
6/03/89 - First Knee Cap Disclocation
7/05/89 - Returned to work
6/17/06 - Tramatic Knee Cap Dislocation and Vertical Fractured Patella
6/28/06 - ORIF - Screws - no wires
8/24/06 - Ditched the brace - start PT
9/20/06 - First spinning
1/15/07 - screw removal, LR , VMO Advanc  & patella cleanupl

Offline shortyclairebear

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #46 on: March 11, 2007, 09:35:44 AM »
hi kimmy!! i started physio last thursday! (the os it appears forgot to refer me so i should have started it earlier then 6 weeks!) the appointment came through surprisingly fast to say its the n.h.s but as he appears to have forgotton i suppose it had to! as my ROM was only 10 degrees before the physio,im making (i feel) very good progress,im gaining approx 10 degrees extra ROM each day and am now up to around 40 degrees i guess,im up to about what i was before the fall so im trying now to think where i would be now if i never had the fall! im hoping to return to work in around a fortnight,but the OS said to see my gp if i need to extend the sick note.im feeling alot better then i was but fel my leg is very unstable and still use the crutches outside as i feel my knee gives out on me alot and i do not want another fall!!

i hope your'e doing ok,those stiars are a killer!!
for 8 weeks post op you sound as though your'e doing great!!
i still get pain where the LR was done too,do you think its as thats were the keyhole probes are used and they maybe go deeper there??
my mum had stomach surgery over a year ago and the large incision she has no longer hurts but the keyhole incisions do!
anyway i'l be off for now!!
take care everyone,happy sunday!!
claire x
i had a motorcycle accident-landed on right knee!(mar 05)
...arthroscopy - 4th feb 06.
...VMO Advancement,LR+JMedial reefing - 24th jan 07.
...28 feb 07 i fell down 14 stairs.....more pain and stress!
...now at PT working on ROM and strenghening

Offline peggy1

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #47 on: March 11, 2007, 05:03:14 PM »
Hi Kimmy,

Glad to hear that you are getting around so much better and the stairs are being kinder to you. You could always wrap some gauze around the incision site when you wear pants, this would at least keep the pants from rubbing too much.

Claire,

You said your rom was only 40 degrees before the fall? Are you talking the major fall or after op fall? 40 degrees will not let you climb stairs without help from crutches or cane. Good luck at pt.

Peggy

Offline shortyclairebear

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #48 on: March 11, 2007, 10:05:22 PM »
HI KIMMY AND PEGGY!
hope you are doing ok today kimmy?
peggy,after the op i had a fall (down my stairs) the brace was set before the fall to 45 degrees (as told by the OS' nurse and by looking at the dial on the brace that is where the pegs were) i was managing to get up the stairs one at a time,my bad leg was not going straight up in front of me as it would usually o without knee probs but by taking it out to the side and putting it on the step above and then bringing my good knee next to it i could get up them.(i do not think i was quite reaching the full 45 degrees the brace allowed as i could see by the angle the brace was bent at that it could go slightly further)
i have now ditched the brace,(THANK GOODNESS!) and my ROM feels similar to me to what it was before the fall,as when i go up the stairs, it is still in the same way as i was doing.
when i started physio last thursday my leg was almost straight (the brace was set back to 10 degrees after the fall as advised by the a and e department til i could see my OS) so the ROM i had gained was lost and i was back to square 1.in the few days i have been doing my exercises my ROM is slowly coming back,i will get a better idea of the amount of degrees i am at when i see the physio on thursday next week.

take care everyone!!
claire x

Offline peggy1

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #49 on: March 12, 2007, 01:47:49 PM »
Claire,

Oh okay, I thought you were talking about only 45 degrees or so. I got a little worried there!! Your rom will come back, it depends on the person how fast or slow. My progress was slow but steady and I am now at 110 degrees. My leg is still stiff especially in the morning and I still have the hardware in, coming out next month YEAH:)

Keep pushing!!

Peggy

Offline kimmyxs

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #50 on: March 13, 2007, 06:05:58 PM »
Hey Claire, I have found that ditching the brace allowed improvement rapidly.  I think I am at out 115 degrees, but I will know for sure on Thursday.  The inicision site looks great, I can now get up stairs slowly - very slowly - foot over foot.  I can turn a bike pedal all the way around.  Now I am working on quad strength and balance.  The quad is pretty measely right now, but most of the pain is completely gone unless I am either up and down or if I am on my feet too long.  All in all, so far, I am glad I had the surgery done.
9/20/06 - First spinning

Offline shortyclairebear

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #51 on: March 14, 2007, 11:57:14 AM »
hi kimmy! im really pleased it going so well for you! im at physio tommorrow its my second appointment,last weeks was more of a consulation so i'll be interested to see what other exercises he gives me to do tommorrow.
im really looking forward to gaining more ROM as i still feel pretty stiff and unflexible at the moment!
im going to ask tommorrow what degree ROM i have as it doesn't feel much!
take care and i'll keep checking back how your'e doing!
do you drive? just wondered if you feel ready to drive again yet?
claire x

Offline shortyclairebear

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #52 on: March 26, 2007, 11:04:34 PM »
hi there kimmy!! i just wondered how you are getting on these days!!  ;) :) :D ;D

Offline kimmyxs

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #53 on: March 27, 2007, 05:24:57 AM »
Hi, I am doing great.  I wore heels for the first time in 9 months last Thursday.  My PT saw and feels that I am ready to be released.  She noted that my quad are pretty strong, but the VMO still needs work - no surprize there.  I can kneel and squat - something I haven't been able to do in years.  I even think I am ready to bowl.  My next doctors appointment is Thursday - hoping he will release me as well.  My PT is thrilled that I have taken the exercising to heart and am working well at home.  Yeah, the stong quads were what broke the patella in the first place, but now the dislocations seems to be resolved.  I haven't felt the patella even try to sublux.  All in all, this was the best choice I ever made.  I may go ahead and have the same work done on my other knee next year. 

Sad news is that I found out that I have a cataract in one eye that is rapidly growing - probably the result of being a steriod dependent asthmatic.  Another surgery coming up.  I am only 48 and my doctor thought I was barely 40.  Oh yes, I couldn't have kissed him - he is even kind of cute.  I saw that surgeon today - now I just have to schedule that.  Nice thing, no PT and only miss 3 days of work.

How are things going for you?
9/20/06 - First spinning

Offline shortyclairebear

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #54 on: March 27, 2007, 11:36:31 AM »
hi kimmy!
glad to hear how well things are going with your knee! sorry to hear about your eye,my stepdad has to take meds for his eyes as he is getting them also,the meds seem to control the problem though and stop it getting worse.
..............wearing heels!! that is great!! i cannot remember the last time i wore heels,and when i did it was so painful.
i feel i'm doing ok,the PT has started and i'm getting stronger everyday,had a few set backs along the way but feeling more determined to get back to "normal" again.
driving is the thing i miss the most.
the doctor sounds nice and full of compliments!! it great when people think you look younger isn't it!! (even though we feel older sometimes with achey knees!)
take care,
claire.

Offline kimmyxs

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #55 on: April 01, 2007, 04:02:05 AM »
Hi everyone,

I have been released from both PT and my OS.  I told me surgeon that the choice to have the screws removed and the work to keep the patella in place was the best choice I have ever made.  He told me he has rarely seen a patella so wonky.  He said it was subluxing both laterally and medially.  This surgery seems to have worked.  I have some arthritis, but that was to be expected. He wants to see me if it gets painful.  In the meantime, I can do everything that I want - except running and jogging.  He recommended not to do that because of the OA and not because of the knee work.  I am so excited.  Now I get to have my cataract removed next Wednesday.  Then I will be able to see where I am walking.  In the meantime, no night driving.

9/20/06 - First spinning

support