Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Kelsey's TTT  (Read 10213 times)

Offline Kelsey

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • several
Kelsey's TTT
« on: February 09, 2007, 02:33:48 AM »
hey everyone.

my second TTT is scheduled for Feb. 13, so next tuesday. I already had my left leg done at the end of august and it is doing wonderful ;D so now its my right knee's turn. Im not really nervous about it, i just cant wait to get it over with but im not really looking forward to doing it all again either. I think i have everything i need, i feel so much better prepared this time around. This weekend im gonna make sure i have everything ready to go around the house and i need to clean my room and make it "crutch accessible" haha ::) The only thing im really bummed about is im missing this next week at school then we have a week of vacation, but this week is our winter carnival, which is like competitions between the classes all week and then a big dance on friday. but oh well. annnyways i know we have like 18 topics going but i thought id throw my own out there.

Kelsey
15 yrs. old
tons of dislocations and subluxations on both knees
TTT/LR/medial reefing on left knee- August 29, 2006
TTT/LR/medial reefing on right knee- February 13, 2007

Offline lilrosie06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • LIVE WELL. LAUGH OFTEN. LOVE MUCH.
Re: Kelsey's TTT
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2007, 04:07:04 AM »
Good luck Kelsey. It will all be fine, Im sure. Annoying, but fine.  :-\  Keep us informed.

DONNA
LEFT KNEE INJURY-1-05
SCOPE 4-05, LR 1-07, TKR 6-07, MUA 7-07, REVISION 10-07, INFECTION CLEANOUT 11-07, REVISION 4-08, EXPLANT 2-09 ANTIBIOTIC SPACER PUT IN, AND PICC LINE FOR 6 WEEKS
REPLACEMENT 5-09

BACK IN PT NOW....HIP AND FOOT PAIN, POSSIBLY SCIATIC

brianne

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2007, 04:15:52 AM »
Good luck Kelsey.  It is a hassle going through it all over again, but in a few months it will be all over and you won't have to worry about it.

Brianne

Offline labkitty

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2007, 07:08:45 AM »
I know how annoying it can be to miss out on all that! i had both of my knees done (one in 1/06 and the other 06/06) and during my second one i missed out on all the summer camping trips and a trip to the coast. it sucked so i pretended to be better than i really was in order to do all those exciting summer things and my leg broke due to me movng too fast, so then i really missed out on the whole summer. just let yourself heal no matter how many things you may miss out on! trust me if you dont it could get alot worse. good luck and keep us posted!

Lindsay
1/13/06 RT TTT
6/16/06 LT TTT
7/07/06 Broken Tibia, Compartment Syndrome
8/7/07 LT Leg Hardware Removal
8/24/10 RT Knee Hardware Removal

Offline RMancini

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2007, 02:20:47 PM »
We're all pulling for you, Kelsey.

Best of luck next week.. look forward to comparing notes with you after your new procedure.

Rob
Fulkerson on Left knee- 26-Jan-07
Residence: Maryland

Offline tangerine

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2007, 09:46:11 PM »
Kelsey,
I hope you find your second TTT to be easier, as I did. When you know what to expect, I think it feel easier, despite the pain.
Only a few days to go. Good luck!

Tangerine
marathon runner
LR rt. knee 9/04 - unsuccessful
Fulkerson TTT 12/19/05 - rt. knee
Fulkerson TTT 12/27/06 - Lknee

Offline Kelsey

• Forum Faithful
  • several
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2007, 03:50:46 AM »
Thanks everyone!!
Its so nice to have a group of people for support and to talk to about all this and compare recoveries , it makes a big difference :) I am a lot less nervous that i know what to expect this time. actually the worst part will probably be the femoral nerve black. i HATE needles ::) haha.  oh yeah i forget to mention im also having a lateral release and a medial reefing with the TTT.
Last time i had a problem with the pain meds. making me really sick. thats why when i read some of your diarys im amazed you can take them haha. did anyone else have this problem? and what you can you take to help it?

Kelsey
15 yrs. old

Offline Stacey

• Regular Poster
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2007, 06:09:50 AM »
Kelsey
When I had my first knee surgery (just a LR) I had a bad reaction to my pain meds, my OS switched my meds to a different one and that seemed to help. I do get a little depressed on them so I try not to take them for too long! Good luck with yours and let us know how it does. My TTT #2 is in May so I will be reading your diary to help me with mine! good luck!! ;D ;D
Stacey
21 years old
L- LR 2002
R- LR 2002
Right leg TTT and LR- May 11, 2006
Screw removal December 2006
Left leg TTT and LR- May 17, 2007
Screw Removal September 2007

Offline RMancini

• Regular Poster
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2007, 08:04:27 PM »
Kelsey:

Big day tomorrow.

Good luck. Hang tough. We're all out here wishing the best for you in the coming weeks.... especially tomorrow.

Have a smooth procedure.

Rob
Fulkerson on Left knee- 26-Jan-07
Residence: Maryland

Offline Kelsey

• Forum Faithful
  • several
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2007, 10:42:55 PM »
hey everyone!

tomorrows the day! ive enjoyed my last few days. Sunday i went out for a long snowshoe with my mom, and then went to to the movies and out to eat with my boyfriend. and today after school i got to go to an ortho. appt. haha great fun there ;)
im just getting everything all set tonight, getting out the crutches and the lovley cyro cuff machine. My surgery is at 7 30 in the morning so i have to be there at 6. which means i will have to leave my house by 5 haha wayyy to early. Im starting to get a few butterflies but i know it will be fine. soon enough it will be over and then on the road to two good knees! ;D im spending one night in the hospital but as soon as im home and feel up to it ill post on my laptop!

Kelsey
15 yrs. old

brianne

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2007, 11:27:25 PM »
Good luck tomorow Kelsey.  Soon you'll be done with it all and on your way to full recovery. 

Brianne

Offline Kelsey

• Forum Faithful
  • several
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2007, 10:03:33 PM »
well i am offically on the other side and part of the double TTT club.

I had to be to the hospital at 6 on tuesday morning...so early. they started my IV and stuff as soon as i got in a holding room and started giving me phentonal (sp?) through my IV to help me relax. i dont even remember getting the femoral nerve block which i was pretty scared about. i woke up around 10 30 in the recovery room in quite a bit of pain and very naueous from the anesthia. They gave me stuff for the pain, i cant remember what it was and also a few different things for being sick. I didnt get into my room until 430 that night!! so long, i slept most of the time.
I talked to my OS and he said the surgery went really good, they did the same thing. He also had some pictures to show me and they are pretty um nice haha. The nurse kept giving me oxycotein (sp?) every 3 or 4 hours which did hte trick throughout the night.

I woke up the next morning to find we were being blasted by a snow storm an if i was going to be released that day it would have to be soon. I couldnt eat much of anything because of my stomach, but i had to get down a little to take my pills with. That oxycotein stuff is the same thing as percoet they said, which made me really sick last time. I got some more anti nausea drugs through my IV before the PT came to get me up and walking. That was hard but I did better this time because i am a lot more skilled on those good old crutches :) haha. and oh i remember what the lovley blood rushes feel like.

I finally got to ride home, the 30 minute drive took us about an hour due to the snow and i think it was probably the longest drive of my life. Very uncomfortable and painful. After that i got set up in my recliner with my cyro-cuff and 18 dozen pillows. I had a lot of pain all afternoon and last night, even though i was taking valium every 8 hours and 2 percaset every four hours. I felt like my knee was throbbing and spasming. I slept through the night..about 10 to 5, and took a few more precaset this morning but since then ive just been taking IB profen. My OS warned me about trying to wean off the medication ASAP because of how sick it made me last time.  I cant see my leg off course, because it is in an immbolizer and big ace bandages until two weeks, the 26th when i have my next appt. i cant take a shower until then either:( well my knee is starting to hurt so im gonna lay back down. ill type more later, hope everyone else is doing good!
15 yrs. old

brianne

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2007, 10:44:43 PM »
Kelsey,

I am glad to hear things went okay for you.  Doesn't it feel good to be on the other side of both of your TTT finally.  You're done having TTT's and so it will only get better from here.

I would go crazy not being able to take an immobilizer and ace bandages off for two weeks.  My OS had me out of the ROM brace the next day so I could work on very gentle ROM. 

Take it easy and remember that the first week is the worst and then it will get better.

Brianne

Offline tangerine

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2007, 01:14:20 AM »
Kelsey,
I'm glad your surgery went well, with no complications, that's good! Hang in there.. you know how difficult the first
week can be. You will gradually feel better. Just ice,elevate, and rest.
We're all thinking of you!

Tangerine
marathon runner
LR rt. knee 9/04 - unsuccessful
Fulkerson TTT 12/19/05 - rt. knee
Fulkerson TTT 12/27/06 - Lknee

Offline Kelsey

• Forum Faithful
  • several
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2007, 03:13:33 PM »
DAY 3 i think haha
Last night i endured the climb up our very steep stairs to sleep in my oen bed, which was hard but nice. i HATE having to sleep on my back, I took two oxycotein right before i went to bed, and woke up this morning feeling very naueous. By the time i got back downstairs my leg was pounding and i thought i was going to completely lose my stomach. that was about 6 30 in the morning, but i took a bendryll and took a nap for a few hours and now i feel a bit better.

I wish i could tell you what my knee looks like but i really have no clue. My ankle is pretty swollen and a little bruised, but its hard to tell because its covered in that baodine (sp) stuff from surgery. I have to leave everything on for two weeks. which also means no shower for two weeks!! ahhh :o i get to take quite an interesting sponge bath everyday then my mom washes my hair for me.

how is everyone else?

Kelsey
15 yrs. old