Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: why foot pain?  (Read 1436 times)

Offline sarah1928

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
why foot pain?
« on: February 07, 2007, 05:11:59 PM »
Hi all

Just looking for a bit of advice. I had a lateral release done last year and unfortunatley it was unsucessful, went into physio and built up my VMO muscles and everythink I had to do but still no improvement. But lately I've started to experience pain down my shin into my ankle and now having alot of pain across the top of my foot. Whenever i walk or stand not only do I still have pain in my knee but now really uncomfortable in my foot and ankle area. I had the lateral release due to a patella tracking problem and also have alot of wear and tear, but what I want to know is has anyone else had problems with there feet and ankles due to this kind of problem with there knees or are they not related in anyway, hate to think that i have another issue with my feet.
If anyone has any answers let me know

Sarah1928

Offline peggy1

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: why foot pain?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2007, 06:55:24 PM »
Hi  Sarah,

I have a problem with my foot too. I broke my knee cap and due to not walking and using the foot for awhile it hurts like crazy when I put pressure trying to use it normally and swells up on a regular basis. I was told by my pt that this will go away with more usage of the foot, I certainly hope so!! I hope this helps.

Peggy

Offline mells05

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2007, 07:01:01 PM »
Sarah-
Does your knee or leg have swelling?  I too have foot pain.  I'm going to the OS tomorrow.  I'll find out what he has to say as well and let you know. 

Take care,
Mel ;D

Offline sarah1928

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2007, 07:19:36 PM »
Hi all

Thanx for the advice. My knee and leg have swelled up in the past, more recentley my knee but not my leg lately. I've never had problems with my ankle and foot area in the past and then all of a sudden walking on it is such pain. I would be really greatfull if you could get any OS advice on this, as i'm not due to see mine for another few weeks and this is starting to concern me now, if it's not one thing it's another.

Thanx all

Offline Garnet

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2007, 11:15:33 PM »
HI SARAH,

MY CASE IS SIMILAR TO YOURS, HAD A LATERAL RELEASE THAT DID NOT WORK, AND NOW I HAVE HAD FURTHER SURGERY.
I GOT TOLD BECAUSE I HAD NOT BEEN WALKING PROPERLY FOR SO LONG THIS CAUSED THE PAIN DOWN TO MY FOOT, AND ALSO MADE THE FOOT SWELL, BECAUSE I WAS NOT DOING THE PROPER HEAL TOE ACTION TO PUMP AND CIRCULATE THE BLOOD.  ONLY YOUR OS CAN GIVE YOU THE CORRECT ANSWER ON THIS.  MY OS AT PRESENT SAID  BECAUSE I HAVE PAIN DOWN MY LEG , BACK OF KNEE DOWN TO FOOT, SAID IT IS MY BACK CAUSING IT NOW, BUT THAT IS BECAUSE I HAVE HAD A BACK INJURY FOR YEARS AND I HAVE STIRRED IT UP FROM NOT WALKING PROPERLY.

GOOD LUCK AND TAKE CARE I HOPE YOU WILL BE OKAY
WYN
Lt TKR July 07
Lt thinning of patella,osteotomy, periosteal graft,
hole in patella,loss of cartilage Oct 06
Lt lateral patella release/chondroplasty Feb 06
Rt shoulder acromioplasty
Back injury,disc bulges,one degenerated
Hip bursitis
Cortisone lt knee,lt hip,rt sacrolliac joint,2 rt shoulder

Offline sarah1928

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2007, 12:24:47 AM »
Hi wyn

Thanx for the advice. I think it is a case of having a word with my OS. It's just so frustrating when you have to wait so long between appoinments. What was the surgery that you had following the lateral release? My OS was talking about possible future surgery, was jsut wondering what they did for you. Why did you need the lateral release to begin with?

Thanx for the advice

Sarah

Offline Garnet

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2007, 03:05:31 AM »
Hi Sarah,

My patella was dislocated when he got to see him (my OS), it may have been maltracking for a while or I think when I fell on my knees I had moved it and lodge it into that position and it would not move.  He said he was not sure it would work because the back of the patella was in a bad shape, I had a lot of damaged cartilage to clean up. It was dislocated badly.  I tried doing the normal recovery of a lateral release and chondroplasty, thinking it was all going to plan but still could not walk properly or walk up and down stairs normally or squat.  The pain increased until it was unbearable.  So my knee pain began around October, 2005, Had the patella release in February, 2006, had my second surgery a patella osteotomy in October, 2006.

My case how my patella was dislocated again was rare, everyone is different.  I developed patello femoral arthritis. My patella drifted back onto my other parts of my knee, compressing onto to bone when I moved. It was so painful I walked stiff legged.  Trouble is I put it off going back until the pain become sickening. I had a bone scan which showed the patella wearing out and the bone badly inflamed.  The option with this use to be to remove the patella,or a knee replacement, so my patella can be moved out and re surfaced or  a patella replacement.  My OS did not want to any of these because I was too young, or resurfacing would damage the other parts of my knee and not solve the problem, the patella still had to be moved out.  So he did a surgery that is rarely done, he is keeping his fingers crossed this will keep me reasonably pain free, and out of trouble until a knee replacement which he said I will need down the track.  What he did was called thinning the patella and grafting a false membrane on the back which is soft (does not always last but will replace the cartilage I lost). He lifted out my patella (found I had no cartilage left and wore a hole straight through the patella when he got in there), cut a middle portion about 3mm of bone from the centre of the patella, this left it in two pieces, then he screwed it back together.  That way the patella was not rubbing on my other parts of my knee. This is unusual to do this.  Slowly I am getting the strength back, but like you the vmo especially after I had this surgery and quad became really weak and did not work for a while (had a dead leg). But I have it working again, gets stronger every day.

There are many procedures, to suit different cases, mine is rare.  There are other procedures, macquet fulkerson and even operating on your vmo, the list goes on, it is what he might think would suit.  But what I know it is important to keep up the physio for good on your quad and vmo, because once you have this problem you must keep them strong or your patella will maltrack again.

Take care and the best of luck
WYN
Lt TKR July 07
Lt thinning of patella,osteotomy, periosteal graft,
hole in patella,loss of cartilage Oct 06
Lt lateral patella release/chondroplasty Feb 06
Rt shoulder acromioplasty
Back injury,disc bulges,one degenerated
Hip bursitis
Cortisone lt knee,lt hip,rt sacrolliac joint,2 rt shoulder

Offline sarah1928

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2007, 12:04:45 AM »
Hi Wyn

Thanx for all the advice. Sorry to hear you've had so many problems. I hope all gets better for you soon and you get the results from the surgery you've been looking for, you'll soon be back to your old self

Good luck with a full recovery

Sarah

support