Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: I GIVE UP!!!  (Read 3106 times)

Offline Little Ally

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
I GIVE UP!!!
« on: February 07, 2007, 06:54:11 AM »
Hi,

I went to see my GP last night to ask for a referal. I have been treated under the NHS for 2 years now, hang on, I should have said I've been treated very badly by the NHS!!! It is a long horrible story that I really want to leave behind me, I have been told I have a case against them but feel I don't have any right to sue an already underfunded system.

Anyway, I went to see my GP to get a referal to see a private OS. He told me and quoted from a letter that the NHS OS had sent him, 'the poor love has no hope of any more surgery because she is too young'. I fully understand that my knee joint is knackered out and I know I can't have a replacement at 30! But I have been offered no other options. My GP told me to come back in 30 years for a replacement and just put up with the pain until then.

I guess what I'm asking you guys is do I have any more options. Is it worth me seeing a private OS for a second opinion, or do I give up and wait 30 years for someone to fix my knee on the NHS!!!

I am totally gutted and feel I have reached my lowest point. I can honestly say I have no idea what to do.

Ally xx

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 214
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
Re: I GIVE UP!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2007, 11:47:46 AM »
Hi Alli

Very sad indeed to read how shabbily you have been treated by the NHS -  I am a volunteer at the North Manchester General Hospital in the Fracture/Orthopaedic clinic of all places.

Please let me know where you live, so that I can ask my Consultant to reccomend a good Consultant in your area.   You should not take the word of your GP for granted - It`s your knee.

Best wishes

JohnK/ Manchester UK
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline shade

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • An obstacle is often a stepping stone.
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2007, 12:02:38 PM »
Ally,

Never, never give up!!  Don't believe phrases like 'learn to deal with the pain' or 'nothing can be done' - (maybe these surgeons can't help), but experienced surgeons should be able to give you some treatment options.  I'm not familar with your knee history, but there are restorative procedures like OATs, OBI, ACI, microfracture and TTT's as well as medial reefings, medial plications and VMO advancements to help. There must be something to try before waiting 30 years for a TKR.
Definately get another opinion with a surgeon specialized in the restorative procedures & TTT's and see if any other options are available.
Take care Ally.  ~shade
« Last Edit: February 07, 2007, 01:46:57 PM by shade »
July '05 (RK) - LR/debridement
Mar '06 (RK) - Open LR + Allograft w/OBI TruFit Plug + Fulkerson TTT
 Feb '07 (LK) - LR + Fulkerson TTT

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2007, 01:11:13 PM »
Don't give this up, you are young and have NO time to go through a whole life with pain just to wait for a TKR. You need to find a OS who is good at your problems.
Maybe searching around at this site can help you find one.
On the mainsite there are OS's listed. I would check that out.
Best of luck !!

HUGS NETTAN  8)
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline CStan

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2007, 01:24:34 PM »
Hi Ally,
Please don't give up! You can't sit around in pain for 30 years.  I hate doctors that expect everyone to just deal with it and learn to live with it.  Go see another OS and as many more as necessary until someone can find the answer.  That's terrible.  I am so sorry you had to go through that.

Christine :)

Offline sarah1928

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2007, 04:30:21 PM »
Hi Ally

Take it from me never give up, I've heared the same thing many times in the past from NHS consultants, believe me theres always an answer. I'm 19 and was told I had to live with my problem cause like you the only thing they said they could do was a knee replacement and like you am to young for that procedure. When told this I thought easy for them to say deal with it, so went to my doctors and insisted to be referred for a private consultation and it was worth it. They took time to speak to me and told me not to give up as there are options available to me, it's amazing what money can do and there are some decent consultants out there who do wanna help you've just gotta find them. Don't listen to one person take a second opinion it will be worth it, trust me.

Hope it all works out for you
Sarah1928

Offline Little Ally

• Regular Poster
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2007, 05:15:42 PM »
Hey Guys!

Just got in from work, I'm a teacher. I've had one hell of a day and seeing your posts has really lifted my spirits!! Without this website I'm not sure where I would have turned to!! I can't thankyou enough for your words of encouragement and advise. I've had problems with my knee since 2004. Basically I dislocated it and it wasn't treated properly. I am now left with Grade IV damage throughout the joint and beyond. I live in Essex and have been under the local hospital for 2 years. I 've had a LR to correct the tilt my knee capwas left with and I've had key hole surgery to assess the damage to my joint. At my last hospital appointment before the OS discharged me, he said ' you're just too expensive darling, we haven't the money to treat you. Stiff upper lip! If you were an old dear you would be in with a chance!'.

I am totally understanding of the NHS and fully support the work they do in many areas. I have just been unfortunate! Once again thankyou for you words of wisdom, you have certainy given me options to explore and the encouragement to do it!!

Ally xxx

Offline sarah1928

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2007, 05:51:19 PM »
Hi Lilly

Glad to hear that your feeling a bit more optimistic about things. It's easy to feel beaten by knee problems but keep you spirits up and going for those answers. Hope you get it all sorted out.

Sarah1928

knee deep in Goo

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2007, 06:46:11 PM »
How young is too young for total knee replacement?
Total knee replacement surgery has long been used to treat severe arthritis in elderly patients. However, concerns arise when a patient in their 40s or 50s has severe knee arthritis that is not relieved with conservative treatments. Once reserved for elderly patients, total knee replacement surgery is becoming more common in the younger, active population.
How Young is Too Young?
No one can definitively answer this question, but what we do know, is that the benefits of performing total knee replacement surgery in younger patients may outweigh the risks of surgery. The benefits are primarily quality of life, pain reduction, and maintaining proper fitness. By accomplishing these goals, patients may also reduce the risk of developing other problems associated with poor fitness, such as cardiovascular disease.

The primary risk of performing total knee replacement surgery in younger patients is the concern of wearing out the implant. Recent developments in manufacturing have sought to reduce the magnitude of this problem, but it is a concern. Furthermore, the amount of wear to a knee joint replacement does appear to be related to the amount of activity. Therefore, young patients with joint replacements should be cautious, and perform only suggested activities (see below).

The Knee Society recommend specific activities for patients with total knee replacement, these include:

* Cycling
    * Calisthenics
    * Swimming
    * Low-resistance rowing
    * Skiing machines
    * Walking & Hiking
    * Low-resistance weight-lifting

Activities which The Knee Society specifically recommends to be avoided are:

* Baseball
    * Basketball
    * Football
    * Hockey
    * Soccer
    * High-impact aerobics
    * Gymnastics
    * Jogging
    * Power lifting

These lists are meant to give the patient an idea of what to expect should they undergo knee replacement surgery. Before you begin a new exercise program, it is important that you discuss this with your doctor. If there is an activity you do not see listed, and you are curious about your participation, ask your doctor.
What Are the Results of Knee Replacement in Young Patients?
Dr. Michael Kelly of the Insall Scott Kelly Institute of Orthopaedics in New York City reported results of a study of 84 patients all younger than 55 years old.* Of the 84 patients, Kelly found 82 patients improved their level of activity following knee replacement. After 18 years of following these patients, he found 94% of the knees were still working well. These data strongly support the idea that in young patients with severe degenerative arthritis, knee replacement may be an excellent option.

I hate it when I hear people are told they are too young.   I am 37 and had my knee replaced.   I am living proof that if your condition is bad enough they will do it.  I saw three OS and two of them would do it now and 1 wanted me to wait till I was 40.   However, I suspect that there was some hesitance since his one partner just had his own hip replaced at 35 and that was my OS.   So maybe my situation was really my OS had a joint replaced at a young age and he can see the value of not keeping a person in pain when they dont have to be in pain.  He always reminded me ..maybe we are bitting the bullet a bit early but I do not want to see you sink into a deep depression.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2007, 10:30:51 PM by knee deep in Goo »

Offline sarah1928

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2007, 07:27:57 PM »
Hi all

Same here all I ever heard from my old OS is your just to young for knee replacement surgery. But what are you supposed to do when your in constant pain. I would have thought in todays time with the way the medical world is they would have thought of somethink that can last more time than 15-20 years and help the thousands of young people who need this type of procedure done. Lets keep our fingers crossed and maybe someday soon that will be the case.

Offline Little Ally

• Regular Poster
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2007, 08:30:34 PM »
I live in hope for such a day!!! Thanks for your posts! You continue to remind me I am not alone with this!!

Ally xxx

Offline caren

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • here we are together
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2007, 11:31:31 AM »
Ally you are not alone and please dont ever give up it is hard to deal with and that is why you have all of us here I too would like to just give up have been told to young for a TKR and will learn to live with what they do to me til I reach the age to do TKR so please hang in there wiht all of us and vent all you want to here
Hugs to you
Caren
Caren

Offline JulieB

• Regular Poster
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2007, 09:02:51 PM »
Ally,
 I suggest get another GP then get a referal for an OS. Your body does not need to be in pain and there should be no age limit on a knee replacement. I am 29 and my OS said if I fracture my knee again I will have to have a replacement. Plus My father needs knee replacements but right now he can't (work issues) But at this point his knees bow when he walks.
 I have been to Doctors before that wanted unnecessary sugeries or plain didn't know what was wrong, I got second opinions. If you feel someting is wrong that is what docs are for. Good luck let me know how it goes.
Take care,
Julie

Offline bella287

• Regular Poster
  • Grandchildren heal me :)
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2007, 07:21:11 PM »
hugs ally, i know how easy it is to want to give up, my 40,s have been nothing but surgeries every year and i am only 44. I too felt like giving up a lot and sometimes still do. my daughter crystal was in a horriable accident and her fiance was killed on 1-1-06 she was in hospital for a month and emotionally devastated. If i had given in i woulnd have benn there for her. I am having yet another surgery in march and am so tired of it but if i give in then i hurt the people that  love me most. so like my family likes to call me be a pitbull (trait determination) argue, do research, even being really annoying and calling dr,s constantly helps. for this last year my old pcp,s just thought my problems were in my head. i would call referell lady and ask for referells my self ask the idiot i was seeing to order various tests trying to find out what was wrong. i finally hit in fibromyalgio showed symptom list to pcp and he still thought it was all in my head. so i went with a new pcp she referred me to fibr dr and after my knee is healed then we can start working on my fibro. so dont just listen to dr,s they are not gods, you will piss off some of them but sometimes thats what it takes
                   good luck   bella
11/06 meniscus repair, microfracture, 3/7/07 medial femoral chrondyle carticle implant. 8/27/07 arthroscope dedride overgrowth, 1/14/08 T.K.R., Current R.O.M. extension 9, flexion 90 5/5/08 M.u.a. 8/20/08 tkr revision, loose implant,patalla to large and heavy scar tissue removed

Offline Little Ally

• Regular Poster
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2007, 09:39:57 AM »
Hey Guys!

Thanks for your posts. You continue to remind me I gotta keep on going. You're absolutely right about family. Mine have always been there for me. If it wasn't for them, I don't know where I would be. Bella I hope your daughter is OK and I want to thankyou all for your wise words.

Well the latest update is I did some research and found an OS that could deal with my problem. I phoned and made an appointment for this Thursday! I don't want to get my hopes up just yet, and I'd be a big liar if I said I wasn't nervous. I have also ditched my GP!! So I really owe alot to you guys, for the cracking advise and words of encouragement. I will let you know how it goes and if you can think of any good questions I could ask I would really appreciate it!!

Many thanks again!!!

Ally xxx

support