Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Help Appt tomorrow for fluid removal and cortisone......  (Read 1835 times)

Offline JRock

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Help Appt tomorrow for fluid removal and cortisone......
« on: February 07, 2007, 06:00:19 AM »
Glad to have found this site!  I have some questions I hope you are able to answer for me.  I have another appt with ortho doc tomorrow for drainage of my knee and possible cortisone shot.  I have been having stabbing pain in my R kneecap for about 2 months, the pain got so bad, and the swelling was severe!  I would be able to push fluid around my knee and feel it move.  Had X-ray and was told bone spur under knee cap, then pain continued after given exercises to do to strengthen muscles, and NSAIDS.  They ordered MRI which showed JOINT EFFUSION and HIGH GRADE PATELLARCHONDROMALACIA IN THE LATERAL FACET PRIMARILY WITH LATERAL SUBLUXATION

OK I am an EMT so I understand some of this but it would be nice to hear in plain english as the doctor did not do a good job explaining other than frayed cartiladge under kneecap.

My knee is buckling and I am heading back tomorrow for the injections and fluid removal and I am scared, I have been told it was awful, then I have beeen told it was not that bad, so please share with me your experience and advise.....I want to hear the good bad and ugly, my appt is tomorrow, so any response would be appreciated so much, I just want to know what to expect.

Thanks
Jenn

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
Re: Help Appt tomorrow for fluid removal and cortisone......
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2007, 06:11:26 AM »
Hey there !!

I have done that a lot of times. It's not as bad as you think and this will give you painrelief.
Your OS will first numb the skin. After that he will inject the needle from the lateral site near patella and first drain the knee and in same needle inject the cortizone.
Can feel a bit strange in beginning, but after a day or 2 that will feel better.
Good luck..and I hope this will help you.

HUGS NETTAN  8)
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline JRock

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2007, 06:15:44 AM »
Thank you so much for your reply, to be honest I am very scared, I do not know why I am so nervous I am not a stranger to pain.  I guess it is the unknown!  Do you need to stay off the knee after this is done, do they give you pain meds?  The NSAIDS and Ibuprofen don't seem to be helping much but maybe I am not giving them enough time.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks
Jenn

Offline JRock

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2007, 06:16:57 AM »
One more thing, is the needle stucj in the bone?  Please tell me no!  LOL

Jenn

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2007, 06:27:20 AM »
No Jenn..not in the bone..in the soft tissue into the joint capsule ;D
You don't need to stay off the knee unless they tell you to, but take it easy though.
If your painmeds aren't enough talk with your doc about that. Maybe he can give you something else.
Let me know how it goes.

NETTAN  8)
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.

Offline JRock

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2007, 06:35:14 AM »
Nettan-

Swear I wont bother you anymore, you have been a good resource for information and I appreciate that more than you know.  I do have ONE more question, and then I promise you can stop teaching the student....LOL

Say I have to have arthoscopic surgery. when can you go back to normal activity, is it crazy of me to think if I had to have this done I could start my new job on the 19th, remember I am an EMT and I will be lifting patients, but not for the 1st 2 weeks due to orientation....If I had the surgery scheduled ASAP if ortho thought I needed it?  What is the average down time?

Thanks again so much and I am so sorry for all the questions

Jenn

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2007, 06:39:10 AM »
19th of February ?! :o
I would guess you might need some weeks..maybe between 4-6 weeks to be able get around pretty good. Though this is depending on what the surgeon does.
Really hard to tell.  Also depends on how easy you heal.
To be honest I would say no..sorry.
No problems..you aren't bothering me ;D

Offline JRock

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2007, 06:48:07 AM »
Boy I was wrong, I though a scope would be in and out no problems with going back to work in a couple of days, guess I was wrong!

Thanks though

Jenn

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2007, 12:59:15 PM »
Yes, you are righ that a scope can be in and out, but with the work you have and one the feet all time. Let time tell if you will be able or not.

redtoblack

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2007, 02:00:53 PM »
Hi Jenn-

Nettan did a good job explaining the draining and cortisone.  I had that done just this past September.  Now, I'm a huge baby when it comes to needles and it wasn't bad at all.  My OS placed an icepack on my knee for about 5 minutes until my skin was completely numb and when he was ready I just looked away and all I felt was pressure.  The knee was sore after and felt kind of funny, but nothing to worry about.  As for the surgery, you are going to want to take several weeks with a job like yours. 

Let us know how you are doing :)  I wish you the best of luck!

Jordan

Offline sarah1928

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2007, 06:07:22 PM »
Hi all

I'm the same a propa baby when it comes to needles. I had an injection a few weeks ago and it wasn't at all like I thought it would be. They put an antiseptic wash all over the knee and then injected it. I felt a slight sharp feeling then it just felt a bit strange but not in a painfull way. I had a bit of tightness at the top of the knee a slight ache but pain meds sorted that out. My OS recommended to take it easy for the first 24hrs and not overuse it but your OS will advice you how he feels best, but it definately wasn't as bad as I thought.
As for the arthroscopy I was back to normal activity within 2-3 weeks. Everyone is different and will responed differentely to procedures, but your probabley looking at that limit again your OS with advice you as he see's right, just take it easy especially with your job.

Hope everythink goes well

Sarah1928

Offline JRock

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2007, 08:01:00 PM »
Thanks for all the advice!  I had to RS the appt today because I have some kind of virus, so it is on for next Tuesday.  I hope it is not that bad, I have a real adversion to needles, I can give someone a shot, or draw blood all day long but turn the needle this way and I do not like that!  LOL

Thanks again!  I feel blessed to have found this website and if I can help any of you with any medical questions I will surely try...

Jenn