Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: ACL replacement with Patella Graph went bad - need help  (Read 1778 times)

Offline Rocky Ruggiero

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
ACL replacement with Patella Graph went bad - need help
« on: February 06, 2007, 09:11:01 PM »
Hi:

I would adore some help.
I'm 39 years old.  In College I had a bad football accident and tore my ACL.  20 years later I finally went to a surgeon to have it fixed.  I did not do my homework and went with the first doctor I met.  He did a patella graph.  Big mistake.  It's been 3 years since my surgery and here is where I'm at now.  My patella area is painful every second of every minute of every day.  (It used to be perfect and I feel like a fool because I could have gone with a cadaver instead...but, I went with what he suggested.) The area is a level 1 to 3 pain at all times.  Even in bed it hurts.  It's constantly itchy and bothersome.  It's numb in many areas too.  I feel like I have extra skin there.....but, it's mental.  Obviously something is very wrong.  It also clicks and I have realized that the other ligament is now torn.  (not the ACL but the other one...) I have no idea how the other tendon  was torn...because, I haven't played sports in 3 years but, apparently it ripped some how.  Does anyone have anything like this?  I'm not concerned about getting the other ligament fixed...but, I am concerned about this nagging patella pain and itchiness that won't go away.  I've become self absorbed because the pain never goes away.   The 2 doctors I met were young and kinda scratched their heads not knowing why the patella would be painful or itchy because the MRI didn't show anything peculiar.

Would really appreciate any feedback.  I live in Lisle, ILLINOIS just west of Chicago.  Thank you, Rocky  :'(
« Last Edit: February 06, 2007, 09:13:15 PM by Rocky Ruggiero »

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
Re: ACL replacement with Patella Graph went bad - need help
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2007, 09:27:21 PM »
Hi Rocky

You really need to go back and see an OS - not necessarily the one you saw before - so are you saying you have torn your PCL?  or MCL?Has this actually been diagnosed by an OS? or is it a guess?
1978 - ruptured acl and all cartalidge removed.
several debridements over years
TKR 10TH JULY 2006 http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=28257.0  Aug 07 patellar maltracking - more physio! Still pain - but so much better !
BIOMET AGC  TKR  (with 10 yr warranty !)

Offline Rocky Ruggiero

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2007, 09:38:33 PM »
Anj:

Thank you for responding.  (I can't remember the "other" ligament that is the opposite of the ACL so forgive me) but...that one is torn.  It's not a guess...an MRI revealed that last year.  I did see 2 docs and yes they can fix that....but, my larger concern was about the patella area being so riddled with odd pain that I never had before.  That is my larger concern. 

Does that make sense?

Thanks for responding....it's very kind of you.

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2007, 09:43:12 PM »
Yes it does make sense - but have you spoken about the problem with the old graft - maybe they can fix these problems gor you? Is it possible that the irritation you have is due to a metal allergy from the screws used?
TKR 10TH JULY 2006 http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=28257.0  Aug 07 patellar maltracking - more physio! Still pain - but so much better !

Offline Rocky Ruggiero

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2007, 09:55:17 PM »
Thanks Anja.  I did ask the surgeons if they could remedy the situation...but, they didn't answer the question.  Thus, I'm planning on seeing more surgeons.  Your question about the allergy is interesting....I don't really know.  I don't know if metal was even used.  All I know is...I wish I had not done a patella graph.  I ruined a perfectly good patella by touching it.

Where is Kent UK??

I live in Chicago. 

Offline raquetball1

• Forum Faithful
  • RACQUETBALL--WALL TO WALL--INSANITY
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2007, 06:42:40 PM »
Hi Rocky,

Don't have any answers for you, but would highly recommend that you do a bit of research on OS's and find one who has done many autopatellar recons.  In Chicago that should be no problem.  With regard to your PCL tear (if it's PCL), could it be that it was torn when you originally injured your knee and they just didn't catch it at that time since they focused on the ACL tear?   

I do have one question for you since I'm also an autopatellar recon person...has this kneecap pain and itching been a problem SINCE your surgery (as in immediately after or soon after) or did it just arise recently (as in three years post-op)? 
autopatellar acl recon Nov. 2004 at age 51

Congress shall make no law...abridging the freedom of speech.

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2007, 10:19:58 PM »
Hi Rocky

Yep, south east of England.

support