Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Recently torn ACL & meniscus  (Read 984 times)

Offline ebdancy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Recently torn ACL & meniscus
« on: February 05, 2007, 09:28:57 PM »
I am new to this site.† I fell from a ladder 3 weeks ago.† I went to the ER and was x-rayed and given a brace - my knee would not support any weight.† I was referred to an OS who ordered an MRI.† He sent me from his office saying he was sure I had torn my ACL and to not use the brace or crutches at all.† He wanted me to walk like normal.† He said I could return to work any time.† (I am a pharmacist and am on my feet 8 hours at a time with lots of racing about the pharmacy.)† He did not tell me to restrict any activities.† Twice in the next few days, my knee buckled and I fell (I did not return to work).† The 3rd time it happened, I fell on the knee doing more damage.† For the first time I now had pain.† Lots of pain with any movement at all.† I went back to the crutches and saw the physician's assistant the next day.† He was completely unconcerned and was sure all I needed was rehab.† He had the results of the MRI - torn ACL, torn meniscus, bruised tibia and cartiledge damage.† I got auth to go to PT a week later.† The PT was curious why they sent me since I still could not weight bear at all.† I returned to the OS last thurs who was generally a jerk.†

I am 52 years old and very active.† I don't do any specific sports on a regular basis, but I am not a couch potato either.† The OS kept referring to my age (52 is not old!) and said he could see no need to do surgery unless it was to remove the meniscus.† I am seeing a new OS this Wed.

My questions are :† 1) Is it normal to be told to return to normal activities immediately with no brace at allr?† (he had not seen the MRI at this point)† 2) Is it routine for the doctor to blow off surgery if you are not an athlete?† 3) Is it routine to rely on the first MRI and not order a second one since my second fall was worse?

The OS was quite young (less the 40) and I had not had any pain until the second fall.† Today is 2 weeks since the second fall and I am just now able to hop around without the crutches.† I still have pain when I put weight on it, but it is not excruciating anymore!

redtoblack

Re: Recently torn ACL & meniscus
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2007, 09:49:39 PM »

First- go to a new OS.  If you aren't happy with him now, do you really want him to do surgery on you?  As far as the ACL goes, if you are active and it's going to affect your life, then I would look into having it repaired.  My dad, who is 55, completely tore his ACL when he was in his late 20's.  He never had it fixed and is doing fine to this day.  He is very active in sports, hiking, running, and skiing and he doesn't even require a brace.  Heck, my OS tore his ACL in college and never had it repaired.  He doesnít think itís necessary, UNLESS it affects your lifestyle.  So I don't believe that you HAVE to have ACL surgery, but I do believe if there are other problems in there that need to be fixed, like your meniscus, you might as well fix it all.  But, this is all stuff you need to talk over with a competent OS.  One you trust and who doesn't dismiss you.

Best of luck to you. 

Jordan

Offline ebdancy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2007, 02:20:18 AM »
Thanks Jordan.  I have an appointment on Wednesday with a new doc.

redtoblack

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2007, 02:12:48 PM »
That's good.  Be sure to take a list of questions that you want to ask.  If you are anything like me, as soon as the OS walks in there and starts messing around with your knee, I completely forget everything I wanted to ask.  A list is a big help.  Plus, I think it slows them down a bit.  I hope your appointment goes well and you can get some questions answered.

Jordan

Offline Audice

• Global Moderator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2007, 02:36:07 PM »
My questions are :†
1) Is it normal to be told to return to normal activities immediately with no brace at allr?† (he had not seen the MRI at this point)†
2) Is it routine for the doctor to blow off surgery if you are not an athlete?†
 3) Is it routine to rely on the first MRI and not order a second one since my second fall was worse?

For what it's worth, after my MRI I was given a hinged neoprene sleeve to wear & told to order a custom brace. I think the sleeve brace was because I'd torn my MCL as well as done in the ACL. But 6 weeks post injury I no longer felt the need for either brace except when I was going to work my horse from the ground which implied I might be hauled of my feet. Then it was only wise to protect what was left of my knee. Today I rarely even consider wearing a brace & actually haven't put one on in months. I'm fine w/o it.

When I first sat down with my OS, I told him right off the bat I wasn't interested in surgery if it could be avoided. His response to me was, "Who said anything about surgery?" I was 67 when I ruptured my ACL & did all the other damage & short of dealing with the meniscus, this OS didn't see any reason for doing more. Time tells me there's no reason to do anything. But I have to wonder if all the years of taking joint supplements has helped me to live exactly as I did pre-injury & quite comfortably, I might add.

After a second fall with further damage I would push for another opinion which I see you've done. Wishing you well..Ellie
April, 2005 - ACL rupture, medial meniscus tear within posterior horn to articular surface, abnormal signal within lateral meniscus, partial tear MCL, bone contusions tibia/fibula, Baker's cyst.
No repairs.