Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Microfracture Question and other ?  (Read 1568 times)

Offline Kris

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • My Wonderful Friend--Hobo RIP
Microfracture Question and other ?
« on: February 04, 2007, 10:19:53 PM »
I'm asking advice from others who have had microfracture surgery.  I had my microfracture surgery in May of last year.  I was told on the first post-op visit that I would have no rehab until 6 months post op.  Also, I was told by my physician that he would also do x-rays and a MRI to measure the growth, if any of the cartilage, by January so that we could make a decision as to how to procede if things didn't work.  Seemed like a good plan.  Well, here I am coming up on my 9th month postop mark and I haven't had any therapy, any x-rays, or MRI's.  I did however just finish my 5th series of Synvisc injections in January. 

I was wondering about the plan of action that some of you went through with your microfracture surgery. 

The last thing my doctor told me is that "I'll see you in 6 months."  Six months is in the middle of July.  I start school up again usually the 2nd week in August.  My concern is that if something has to be tried, that I wouldn't have enough time to prepare for it and rehab from it before I start school again and I most definitely would not be able to hold off another year.  I'm was planning on calling the office on Monday to kind of get a tentative treatment plan since the one he told me before doesn't sound like it'll be happening.  I also wanted to ask if he'd see me earlier rather than in July, like late April or early May so if something has to be done then I'll have a little more time to deal with whatever it is. 

I had another question too.  I've had a few bouts of extreme pain below the kneecap and a little towards the outside.  I thought personally that it may be a stress fracture of something, but no one will actually take a look.  I've asked my family doctor who said she can't see me for the knee because I'm under another physicians care...and I asked my knee doc, but he didn't take a look either the last time I mentioned it.  He thought I guess that I meant I was having the pain because of the shot and he said that it wasn't caused by the shot.  I knew that already, I was just wondering what it was from.  I got no response about this pain.  It's not ongoing, but it is definitely sharp when it does happen and I have no warning at when it's going to happen.  What do you think?

Kris
Right  LR on 2/8/02,  7/11/03, and 11/5/05
Left leg LR on 5/02, 4/05
Right achilles tendon lengthened on 2/01.   Synvisc injections on 2/17/03. 
Cortisone on 12/03 and 3/04, 12/05. 
Proximal Reallignment Right 5/23/05
R Microfracture 5/19/06
PFJR 6/20/07

Offline mhsflute07

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: Microfracture Question and other ?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2007, 03:14:26 AM »
Hey Kris,

I had microfracture back in June, so I'm about 8 months post-op now. I had post-op visits with my OS at 1 week, 2 months, 4 months, and 6 months post-op. I started physical therapy a week or two after surgery and am still going (except for a few breaks b/c of insurance issues). I haven't had any x-rays in over a year and haven't had an MRI since before surgery. However, my OS did say it would take about 6 months to really heal and to be able to tell if it worked or not. Now I am trying more conservative options before looking into surgery again.

I'm sure post-op protocols vary a lot and are specific to the person and their situation. Probably your OS has his reasons for everything, whether they're easily understood or not. Regardless, I think you should go ahead and call your OS and see if you can move your appointment up. I don't see why it would really matter to them. It won't do you any good to see him later and not have the opportunity to receive treatment.

Good luck!

Erin
June 2, 2005 TTT/LR  R.
July 26, 2005 TTT/LR  L.
June 6, 2006 Microfracture R.
June 5, 2007 Microfracture & Screw Removal R.
March 12, 2009 Scope and ACI Biopsy R.
May 12, 2009 TTT, Trochleoplasty R.
December 15, 2009 ACI (patella) & bilateral hardware removal
December 21, 2010 LOA and LR

Offline amy1

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2007, 03:28:09 AM »
I had microfracture four years ago.  I was in a CPM machine three to four hours a day within a two days of the surgery and started PT about two weeks after.  I had post op visits about three days after surgery, then a week.  I had a total of 5 or 6 visits within the first 6 months.  I did no have any additional MRI or X-ray.  After about 3 or 4 months, my knee felt pretty good.
6/2004 partial lateral meniscus removal and microfracture left knee
7/13/05  open lateral release, medial plication, spur removal right knee
12/06  re do proximal realignment right knee (scar tissue formed ) 5 days post op - fell and fractured elbow
08/2009 - feeling good so far work 50 hrs a week

Offline Kris

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2007, 04:06:35 AM »
Thanks Amy and Erin.  I also was in a CPM machine for 8 weeks 6-8 hours a day.  I hated the thing while I was in it, but missed it when it was gone.  I'm still have a lot of trouble with the pushing part, like pushing to go up the stairs.  I also have problems with just kicking it out with no weight on it.  I was hoping this problem would have been resolved by now, but no such luck yet.  I'll call the OS tomorrow and hopefully get an answer as far as the treatment plan.  The appointment making will have to wait until late March since they only do two months at a time.

Kris
R Microfracture 5/19/06
PFJR 6/20/07

Offline Kris

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2007, 11:28:51 PM »
I did call the doctor today and was able to express my concerns.  She didn't call me back until almost 5:30 and by that time it was too late to talk with the doc.  I just asked for a tentative treatment plan.  I told her I felt clueless about what may be in my future as far as this surgery goes...therapy, MRI, x-rays, etc.  She said she definitely understands my concerns and will talk with the doc about it.

Kris
R Microfracture 5/19/06
PFJR 6/20/07

Offline tenabutter

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2007, 05:07:49 PM »
Hi Kris,

I had my microfracture 3/17/06. I was sent to PT within 2 weeks and had a visit to the OS atleast once a month up til November when I dismissed him. In October I called to speak with OS due to the extreme pain and concerns I had and got no call back. I started looking for another OS in town and it was recommended I call my current and talk to the office manager, you will get results. Within  minutes of talking to office manager and explaining the pain I am in and the frustrations that the OS only see's me as another monthly check, I got a call back from the nurse. She was "insulted" and asked what I wanted done. I told her I wanted another MRI to see what is going on and to get me back to doing what I need to do. I had the surpartz injections for 5 weeks in August with no results. They scheduled another MRI, I had an appt with current and "new" OS for 1 week following the MRI. As I was leaving my old OS office, I requested all records to that date, I was had a consultation with another OS to help see what was going on. The new MRI didn't show alot, so my new OS did a scope. The old OS told me I needed an ACI and this is what I reported to the 2nd OS. When he did the scope to snipe the cartialidge to grow, the issue with my knee is not related to the mircrofracture, but the kneecap now has a chunck out of it. My initial OS never reported that after his surgery and it doen't show up on the pics he took. My initial knee mircrofracture is not from a fall or anything, just a worn knee. I sit here less than 1 year later, 2 surgerys later, in an unloader brace, wondering how long can I last with this pain and no TKR.

Sorry so long, but a 2nd opinion and sometimes 3rd might be needed.

Best of luck,
Tena
3/17/2006 RK Microfracture
12/28/2006 RK Scope

Offline Kris

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2007, 11:37:06 PM »
Thanks for your story, Tena.  I did get a call back from my OS today, or at least his nurse.  He's going to do a MRI at the end of April and he'll go over it with me on the same day.  At least it's something even if I have to wait two months. 

Kris 
R Microfracture 5/19/06
PFJR 6/20/07

support