Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Stress Fracture of Tibial Tubercle from overuse  (Read 3920 times)

Offline DLT

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Stress Fracture of Tibial Tubercle from overuse
« on: February 04, 2007, 05:43:00 PM »
I have been diagnosed with a Stress Fracture at the Tibial Tubercle from overuse.  Specifically from road bike riding.  I have ceased all activities except limited walking and swimming and core strengthening.  It will get better for a few days or even a week and then it will be back to the same pain. I have been so careful to not get set backs, but it doesn't seem to be working. I would like to be able to rehabilitate in the least invasive way.  What are my options?  Does this injury just take for ever? I am a very athletic 54 year old.  Or Do I need more aggressive methods like being casted or surgery.

DLT
« Last Edit: February 04, 2007, 06:18:37 PM by DLT »

Offline DLT

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Stress Fracture of Tibial Tubercle from overuse
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2007, 06:22:21 PM »
?

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2007, 08:19:11 PM »
Have you discussed everything with your OS ?
Have you anyone helping you with rehab..a phys ?
When were you diagnosed ?
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline DLT

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2007, 10:34:14 PM »
Thank you for replying

About 8 months ago I started having pain below my knee on the tibial tubercle.  I continued my activities(road bike riding) and did not get better.  I went to see an Orthopedic Surgeon about 6 months ago.  X rays were taken and could not see anything but he prescribed physical therapy.  I continued with my activities but reduced the amount and did physical therapy.  I did not get better so a MRI was done.  Results were patellar tendonitis close to the insertion and a stress fracture at the tibial tubercle.  Physical therapy was continued and I ceased all activities except for the physical therapy, swimming(free style with very little kicking), and walking as needed in daily life. It has been over 2 months of this and I will be better for a week and then back to the same pain in my knee at the insertion point.  I am super careful in my daily life not to stress that area by barely using my quadricep muscles. I want to get better but cannot seem to.

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2007, 05:50:00 AM »
Probably will this take a lot of time. Though I would go back or even get a second opinion so you do the right stuff to heal this damage.
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline David3

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2007, 05:54:29 PM »
Hi DLT,

Have you followed up with another OS to determine how to heal this?  I'm a 42 year old who is also concerned about my tibial tubercle, on both legs. Until 12 months ago I was very athletic and was extremely active. However, I developed pain on my tibial tubercles, intially when interval running. I rested completely for 3 months and the pain disappeared. When I picked up activities (running, aggressive skiing, etc), I was symptom free, but my problems returned in a different area - pain from grade 4 chondral defects (cartilage damage) in both knees. I'm now seeing various doctors about the cartilage damage but thought that my tibial tubercle problems were gone. However, I had a bone scan done on both knees last week. A weak tracer liquid was injected into my arm, and the phosphate-based chemical accumulates at the site of new bone growth (i.e. injured areas of bone, such as where there are cartilage lesions). After a wait, the bone is then scanned to image the knee and determine where the tracer chemical has accumulated. The OS was looking for confirmation of my cartilage damage (which he got), but the bone scan showed up that the most damaged bones in either leg were my tibial tubercles. They are not really painful, but this is probably because my activity level has dropped to virtually nothing - I'm struggling to manage daily activities now due to the cartilage damage pain (awaiting another operation).

The bone scan got me concerned. TT damage is clearly not due to my cartilage problem since it is not a cartilage-coated part of the bone. Could this be stess fracturing? Any ideas?
2006: Left Knee (LK) microfracture (MFC, LFC, Trochlear), failed at 6 months
7/07: ACI/TTO of LK (MFC, LFC, trochlea, patella)
2014: Considering ACI treatment on RK.

support