Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Pain Killers -for how long  (Read 1038 times)

Offline Micheal

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Pain Killers -for how long
« on: February 03, 2007, 05:11:42 PM »
Hi guys. This is my first visit to the site. I am 47 years old and live in Belfast, Northern Ireland. I was a very keen golfer up until last year when I could no longer play any more than about 6 holes without suffering too much pain in my knee. I had a TKR nine weeks ago and whilst I am happy with my flexibility I am concerned that I still have sharp pain in my calf when I walk, throbbing in my knee and swelling in my quads area. I am off the crutches about 3 weeks and using a stick but sometimes it is very painful and I do not sem to have made much progress over the last few weeks. I have really tried to cut back on pain relief medication as I fear becoming addicted to the drugs but i only seem to get relief from pain after i take some tablets. When can i expect the pain and swelling to go away and when should i expect to be able to get back onto the golf course? Should I continue to exercise even though I have swelling? I look forward to reading some of your experiences and advice please. regards Micheal

Offline DeborahinNC

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: Pain Killers -for how long
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2007, 10:54:09 PM »
Hi Micheal,

The swelling and pain part I can't help much with for TKR.  But the pain meds.  Take them if you need them.  One of the things that is misunderstood about pain management (my sister's partner holds a master in pain mgt) is that you will not become addicted when they are used for pain.  The problem comes in to play if people keep taking them after the pain has resolved for the pleasure (or at least percieved pleasure).  The idea of pain management is to keep the pain at a tolerable level, not to wait until it really hurts and then try to "catch up" to it.  I've been on and off heavy pain meds for a year.  I have no fear of addiction and like you have tried tylenol or some other management.  This just does not do it and I'm very uncomfortable.  There are good threads on this site for TKR and maybe some of those will be able to help you with the length of time for swelling and pain. 

I hope you have a speedy recovery and can soon golf again.  Deborah

Offline Micheal

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2007, 09:57:53 PM »
Deborah and L Thomas

thanks for the feedback. I am relieved to hear that I am not a 'pain med junky' just yet. Hope i won't have pain for as long as a year...buy here's hoping. Good luck and thanks again

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2007, 10:14:18 PM »
Hi Michael

I am nearly 7 months post op but still get the odd day where I need pain meds - not oftern though. If you need them use them - no point in being in pain!  I was on tramadol for the first 3 months and did have withdrawal symptoms when I stopped taking it - Only because no one had said that I had to do it gradually - so check how to get off the meds you are on when you are ready to come off - or reduce gradually.

Good luck with it.
anja
1978 - ruptured acl and all cartalidge removed.
several debridements over years
TKR 10TH JULY 2006 http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=28257.0  Aug 07 patellar maltracking - more physio! Still pain - but so much better !
BIOMET AGC  TKR  (with 10 yr warranty !)

knee deep in Goo

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2007, 09:26:35 PM »
Anja .. what type of pain stuff do you take after your three months ..

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2007, 09:38:01 PM »
I was still using tramadol - and still do if I need it - sod being in pain when you dont have to! - usually use paracetamol first but can usually tell if it's not enough quite soon.  I find that pain at night is the worst to cope with. Luckily it doesnt happen too often now.
1978 - ruptured acl and all cartalidge removed.
several debridements over years
TKR 10TH JULY 2006 http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=28257.0  Aug 07 patellar maltracking - more physio! Still pain - but so much better !
BIOMET AGC  TKR  (with 10 yr warranty !)

knee deep in Goo

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2007, 04:26:27 AM »
I called my OS last monday and had an appointment on friday ..   How is that for service ladies and gents?  I was two months last week -- I hope this helps anyone

Anyways we talked about pain and the different levels of pain.   So I was given something for pain for all three levels I had.

Ultram 300 .. one pill a day .. its extended release.
darvacet for that achey pinchy pain that is uncomfortable and why be a fool sitting in pain.
endocet 10 for those times I find myself in mindblowing pain that I want to be a hermit.
Lidoderm patches-  for that ache in my back and hip or knee

Last three days I took my ultram..  and  two darvcets each day.  Mind you now I feel sore ..like a storm is coming.   My OS said that pinchy medial pain in the morning is from OA .  I may always have it.  He also reminded me that I had my knee done in the winter and come summer I should feel better.   I told him I  know its a game of patience..    The P word

support