Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: I don't know what happened...  (Read 2495 times)

Offline rgill720

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
I don't know what happened...
« on: February 03, 2007, 03:54:47 AM »
OK so here it goes:

I'm doing PT bright and early only doing stretches. We go to sit down to do an exercise and as I sit down my knee locks up and just seizes through my body with pain. I sat there for a minute clenching with my hands and then the pain slightly subsided. It was ok for a little bit with just some discomfort until the day started to wear down and it started to hurt more and more.

Everytime I bend it I can feel the pain go through it but at the same time it feels kinda good to have it bent. If I lay down and have no weight on it, I only feel discomfort. When I get up in the morning it feels fine until I start walking on it and it hurts and then at night before bed when I'm laying down I feel great discomfort until I fall asleep.

The doctor said something about meniscus (sp?) or something but I have no idea. He gave me some antiinflammatory to take for the pain as well as a 3 week profile and told me to schedule an apt. in a couple of weeks because my knee is still too tender to diagnose. HELP ME :'(!! What the crap is wrong with my knee ????

Mind you I played soccer for eight years and both knees would hurt a little bit every once and a while but nothing like this.  :(

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
Re: I don't know what happened...
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2007, 12:48:25 PM »
Maybe he believes that you have a torn meniscus, but the swelling is too much to have that confirmed straight away.
Therefor he wants you to takes this antiinflammatory and come back so he can check your knee better.
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/html/steps/step_04_meniscus/anatomy.html
Here you can read more about meniscus. Maybe you have loose bodies from the injury making your knee lock.
If you have questions feel free ask..will try answer.

HUGS NETTAN  8)
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline rgill720

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2007, 05:55:13 PM »
Thank you very much for your input.

I don't really think that my knee is swollen to be honest. It still looks semi-normal...I think...

This morning when I woke up it felt kinda bad, almost like it was grinding, but that didn't last for long. I'm trying to walk on it normal but I still walk funny. I think some people think I'm faking this because they are like "I didn't see you hobbling around earlier", when in truth I just wasn't hobbling around as bad. It doesn't bother me as much if I kinda bend my knee a little more, like I'm kneeling when I walk. Someone referred to it as a pimp walk lol.

The one thing I did notice differently today then yesterday is that I've gotten a few just random sharp pains in it when I'm just sitting here. How would it feel if I tore it? Thanks!

SPC Ryan C Gillespie

Offline Audice

• Global Moderator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2007, 09:15:52 PM »
"How would it feel if I tore it? "

Hi Ryan ~ There are so many symptoms people have when they're dealing with a torn meniscus that it's difficult to pinpoint symptoms. Much of what you're talking about I've felt at one time or another complete with not being able to straighten my leg completely.

There's a section on this board strictly about the meniscus & you might find lots of people there who've experienced what you're going through. Hope to hear your next doctor visit will result in your learning something more definite about what's going on. Wishing you well..Ellie
April, 2005 - ACL rupture, medial meniscus tear within posterior horn to articular surface, abnormal signal within lateral meniscus, partial tear MCL, bone contusions tibia/fibula, Baker's cyst.
No repairs.

Offline rgill720

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2007, 10:59:14 PM »
Thanks! I'll see what I can dig up. I appreciate that and I won't lie, I'm a little worried. Last thing I need is to be a broke soldier.

Offline Audice

• Global Moderator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2007, 11:52:59 PM »
Ryan wrote: "... I'm a little worried."

The worst part of this whole business is not knowing. I think once you've got a diagnosis you'll be able to deal with it, whatever it is...Ellie
April, 2005 - ACL rupture, medial meniscus tear within posterior horn to articular surface, abnormal signal within lateral meniscus, partial tear MCL, bone contusions tibia/fibula, Baker's cyst.
No repairs.

Offline rgill720

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2007, 12:17:03 AM »
WHOA!  :o I have been sittin around the apt. all day hanging out, playing video games, reading and whatnot. I haven't really been moving around but when I have gotten up to go to the kitchen or the bathroom I noticed it seems harder to move my right leg, knee, or foot like it's tightened up. I just now happened to try to wiggle my toes just to see and I noticed my foot and almost my whole leg is swollen up. Mostly from my knee and below. WHAT THE CRAP!? OK, now I'm a little worried.  :'(

Offline Audice

• Global Moderator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2007, 12:47:35 AM »
Has your leg been on the ground or elevated, Ryan? Elevate if you're just sitting around & ice. And do take some antiinflammatories to help reduce the swelling. Is it possible to get an earlier appointment with your doctor? Try calling after the weekend...Ellie
No repairs.

Offline rgill720

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2007, 12:57:00 AM »
Well, I've had it elevated most of the day because it felt good. I've put some ice cube trays in the freezer a few hours ago but havent put it on my knee yet. He prescribed me some anti inflammatory medicine but he said it will take a while to work and it hasn't done anything yet - mind you I've only had the medicine for a day and a half. He wanted me to schedule an apt. in two weeks but I haven't made an apt. yet. I figured I would just go in the morning when they have walk-ins. There is always the emergency room but I'm not sure they would really be of any help, no offense to them. I've considered going to sick call in the morning if only it wasn't the first day of a school I'm going to. I dunno what to do. I'm really worried but I'm going to ask the opinion of y'all. Should I go to the emergency room or should I wait and go to sick call Monday and take the chance that I'll miss the first day of my school? HELP!!!!  :'(

Y'all have been great. Thank you very much!!

Offline Audice

• Global Moderator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2007, 01:07:11 AM »
Wish I could offer you some advice, Ryan, but I'm in the US so someone from your part of the world who knows your medical system would be in a better position to help you.

Here I'd avoid the ER at all costs because the wait is extraordinary & I'd rather see someone who knows knees. If I had no OS I'd call my internist & ask for a referral. Good luck...Ellie
No repairs.

Offline rgill720

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2007, 05:43:40 AM »
LOL I'm in the US too. In fact I'm in Fort Hood, TX lol.  ;D

Offline LadeeStingray

• Regular Poster
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2007, 05:55:59 AM »
rgrill,

my experinces with going to the ER with a knee injury have never been great.  They take x-rays, slap u in an immoblizer, give you NSAIDs and tell u to follow up with an ortho.  The one benefit of going to the ER is ... u can usually get into an ortho faster but usually only with the one thats covering the ER.  So if u have a specific doc u wanna see i say call their office first thing monday morning and explain to them whats going on they may get u in faster. Of course depending on your insurance u may need a referal form your family doctor to see the ortho.

Ladee
10/05 Rt medial meniscal tear repair 1/06 synvisc injections
3/06 cortisone injection   6/06 open OATs MFC
9/06 drained/cortisone  11/06 biopsy for ACI surgery
6/07 scoped again....failed OBI plugs
awaiting approval for HemiCAP

Offline rgill720

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2007, 06:07:18 AM »
Actually, I just got home from the ER. They shrugged me off, prescribed me advil and tylenol (basically) and sent me on my way. The doctor I had seen before seemed a lot more worried about my knee then the ER did which is kind of understandable because the ER is used to gun shot wounds, car crashes and stuff like that. They took an xray of my knee and other then molesting my knee that was pretty much it. It still hurts like a mother though. So anyway, about the insurance lol. I'm in the Army so I just go wherever and they take care of me. One major benefit ya know? What is in my favor is because I also hurt it while we were doing PT in the morning, during duty hours, so that kinda helps if anything bad is wrong. I definitely am going to schedule an apt. Monday morning if I'm able to with the same doctor I had before. He seemed to know more about what was going on then the people in the ER. Anyway, still hurts, got a knee brace which at least helps to stabilize the movement and I'm going to go to bed and ice it alllllllllllllllllll day tomorrow. Thanks everybody! Keep it coming!

Offline KayJay

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2007, 08:34:24 AM »
Hi rgill,
From one soldier to another, definitely don't give up on getting your knee taken care of.  I'm glad to hear that you're going back and making an appointment.  Even if it doesn't turn out serious, that a little rest and pain meds can take care of, it can still come back as a problem later on.  You'll want this in your file for the future especially if you stay in and retire. 
I can't give you any suggestions with your knee other than what's already been said but from someone who's had knee surgery so they can continue running (and taking PT tests :P) I found that they are a very knowledgable bunch here and offer good advice.
Good luck and I hope you find out soon what is causing the problem.
KJ

Offline Audice

• Global Moderator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2007, 11:59:20 AM »
Well so much for the TX ER. It's no better than the ones here in the NE! Certainly there must be someone on the base who can be of help. Icing 20 min at a time is most beneficial, Ryan. Bags of frozen peas make great ice packs...Ellie
No repairs.

support