Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Injured at Work ---- Worker's Compensation 'Crap'  (Read 998 times)

surgtech1956

Injured at Work ---- Worker's Compensation 'Crap'
« on: February 03, 2007, 02:04:40 AM »
Hello Everyone out there dealing with Worker's Compensation.  I was injured at work last May - I'm(or was?) a Surgical Technologist and fell off a lift onto my flex knee.  First off, the Occupational MD(employer) didn't want to do an MRI - I requested to see an OS after 10 days and she found an incomplete patella fracture/bad contusion.  I have alot of my pain in that knee and can't stand very long - my job requires standing 99.9% of the time so I've been on work restrictions - 'seated work', which hasn't been fun - I've been in 3 different jobs/departments, my employer says they can do this - they can put me where the need someone.  Oh, I've been to 2 -IME's(good times :P).  I just had a knee arthroscopy on 1/22/07 - go back for my post op appt with OS on 2/6/07.  Let's see, my 'tech' job was posted and 'given' away, I've lost my dept seniority - not hospital(I've been there almost 13 years).  I do have an attorney - I'm his 10th employee from this employer he's representing. I do have pics of my knee scope - looks like I have a deep(4mm) defect in my patella cartillage. I'm thinking I'm probably not going to go back to my 'job'.  My attorney thinks my employer will either 'create a job for me, try to get me to apply for a posted job(they pay less than what I'm making so they'll have to make up the diff), or offer me a settlement and be done with me.  Right now the hospital is paying my wages - not the department I worked in.  I think they're going to get tired of this soon.  I'm 50 years old, so I still have some years to work.  I guess on 2/6 I'll have more of an idea of where my life is going to go. I hate this situation

Offline caren

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • here we are together
Re: Injured at Work ---- Worker's Compensation 'Crap'
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2007, 01:31:10 PM »
Surgtech I too was injured at work and am fighting with WC too they put me back in the office and not in the home that I run I have a desk job and hate every minute of it just wish that they  would put me back in my dept as well
I understand your frustration of the whole thing I htink before mine is over will end up with and attorney as well since I had prior knee damage they are getting picky and my OS is tired of the wc people telling him what he can / cant do
please know that you are not alone with this issue
good luck and let me know how you are doing
hugs
Caren
Caren

Offline DeborahinNC

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2007, 11:01:56 PM »
Hi surgtech,

Me too.  I'm a paramedic and was injured on the job.  Much to my surprise I lost my court case and was denied workers' comp.   They said I have old knees and that it was in the "course of my regular duty."  Go figure.  I'm 51 and still at my present job although had another knee surgery and out again until at least sometime in March.  One big difference for me is that my employer was behind me 100% in my fight.  In fact my Chief wanted to come be a witness for me - just for support.  He could not as I was effectively suing my agency.  Unfortunately for me, my knee will probably end my career early, there are no desk jobs in EMS.  I'm hoping to make it back from this last surgery and stay for another few years but time will tell.

Good luck with the WC fight and don't get frustrated and give up.  This is what they want and will try every trick to get you to just bail on the fight.  I lost but I had a victory in that it cost the insurance company for the attorney (we had a 9:00 hearing and were finally heard at 4 pm).  So I figure between his bill and the paperwork they had to do I got my pound of flesh from them.  Not the result I wanted but that will have to do.

Let me know how you do with this.  It will be frustrating but hang in there.  Vent here - we understand the fight you about to have.  Take care - Deborah

Offline reggieandabears

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2007, 12:39:27 AM »
I too was hurt at work. I haven't had major trouble with the WC co. I had a few late checks, but the most irritating thing is they haven't paid the hospital bill from my surgery(April 06). My lawyer has spoken to them about it many times.
    I was also followed by a very ignorant "PI" (I live in a poor working class area and he shows up to do surveilance in a new silver Mercedes..DUH) I was fired from the job I had(couldn't hold it open for me after 7 months) So I wait while the OS decides how long the unloader brace will /won't help and want to either do surgery again to repair the torn miniscus & check out the progress of the microfracture.

I attend a local college on-line(can't walk to the classes) and wait to be released to go back to some kind of employment.

Do everything the Dr. says, think about what you do outside your home, don't let a very innocent thing be misconstrued for the WC and the investigators. They will uses what ever they can to deny a case.
Good luck!!
tripped and fell at work Jan.06
Knee Arthroscope April 2006,w/ plica removal, microfracture, diag, OA.

surgtech1956

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2007, 07:32:47 PM »
Thanks for sharing your 'horror' stories with me.  Part of this Worker's Compensation CRAP is that each state has their own rules, laws, BS.  Michigan's WC is only for collecting your WC $$$.  I have an attorney just monitoring my case.  My attorney can only do something is I don't get my $$$ or my employer fires me.  I just had a Knee Arthroscopy on 1/22/07 and I'm off for 8 weeks.  My OS found a full thickness defect in my patella cartilage and some scar tissue.  My knee looks good except for the Patella.  She mentioned a Faulkerson's Procedure or Patella Femoral Joint Replacement.  I have been on work restrictions and my employer had me in different jobs/departments, I am in my 3rd job - all of these are temporary until they create a job for me or I apply for a job.  My original job was posted and given away(lost my dept senority - no union).  My attorney told me they did this because if my position is gone and my OS lifts my restrictions and I can go back to this job - guess what - no position for me and I'm out the door.  I am expecting a letter from my employer saying they don't have a job(with restrictions) to go back to and I will sit home and collect WC$$$ till I apply for a job/or one is created for me.  My attorney says they don't have to accomodate me by finding me a temporary job.  I've been to 2 - IMEs -  GOOD TIMES.  The only thing I know is that my employer is responsible for my medical bills for my knee till I die or my employer offers me a settlement and thats it.  I guess we just all hang in there and hope for the best.  Its one thing to be s**t on, but sholved in it too -------  :D     Keep in touch and let me know how things are going.

Offline caren

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • here we are together
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2007, 11:38:59 AM »
You are so right WC sucks I just hope that some day that those that are making the decisions have to do what we are doing and then maybe it will be better when the shoe is on the other foot
Sounds like you are getting along pretty good as far as healing and that is good so sorry you too are gtting the run around
my WC sent me back to the office and not my regular job hate being cooped in an office all day with b****y women and having to forage for things to do
Take care Surgtech and keep in touch  you are not in the WC boat alone Deborah and I are there with you
Hugs to you
Caren
Caren

support