Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Post Op Diary - Excision of Osgood Schlatter bone fragments/ossicles.  (Read 22979 times)

Offline Horz

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Post Op Diary - Excision of Osgood Schlatter bone fragments/ossicles.
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2007, 11:44:07 PM »
Day 7 Post-Op Sun 11/2/07

Well donít have much to report today - my flexion ROM has not changed much so I am just continuing to do my exercise 5-6 times a day.
I would much prefer to see my Physio and OS sooner than what they have indicated as I would like to know if my progress is acceptable. 
Should I be going faster?  Should I be backing off?

I think I am getting more definition in my quad when I flex, however I am still not getting much movement in my VMO.

The tibial tubercle is still very swollen from the surgery so I am icing and elevating simultaneously for 20 minutes after I do the exercises.
Perhaps I should be elevating my leg above my heart more?  At the moment I am moving between leg up on chair and down to the floor slightly bent.

I am still off work and think I might give myself another full 5 working days off - gives my more time to exercise, ice, elevate etc.

Cheers

David

Offline Horz

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2007, 09:43:24 PM »
Week 2 - Day 11 Post-Op Thu 15/2/07

Well things seem to be progressing okay.

I am now walking with one crutch and walking/limping unaided when pottering around the house.

Went to the physio yesterday who seemed happy with my progress as I have regained a good amount of strength in my quad, however my flexion is still not that great being well less than 90 deg.
Today I am going to the surgeon, which I assume, is just for a wound inspection and (fingers crossed) the stitches out.

The physio gave me a couple of new exercises that are supposed to strengthen the VMO - however I am a little sceptical about their ability to do this. 
I will do them regardless as I believe they will strengthen my quad.

See the below article - The Myth of the VMO
http://sportscenteraustin.blogs.com/the_view/2003/11/the_myth_of_the.html

Cheers

David

fawn2388

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2007, 01:45:50 PM »
I was a little bit a head of you the first time I had it done, but that surgery was botched, the second time I also had a lateral relase, so it is kind of hard to tell. It's good that your pushing it, but don't over do it, the more you push it, the more likelyhood that the ossicle will come back, I have had the ossicle removed twice, and I have it ten times worst, but not painful, however. But keep up the hard work - it will pay off when coming back.

Offline Bulldog

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2007, 02:26:56 PM »
David,
Thanks for sharing and responding.  I finally broke down and went back to the doctor before my scheduled appointment.  He did the x-rays and all, and he concluded shin splints.  I was concerned about scar tissue or some sort of trauma to my tibia from 3 surgeries so close to together.  A knot that I was concerned about was where he said he tied everything off after my meniscal transplant.  He felt my knee looks great.  I have a new presciption for 2 weeks of pt where they are going to do iontrophesis (sp).  After 3 surgeries and 17 months of constant pain, I'm optimistic that I will once and for all be putting all of the this behind me!
christy
9/24/05 surgery ACL & Posterior horn
1/24/06 surgery, 3rd degree tear medial posterior horn meniscus
9/12/06 Meniscal transplant

Offline Horz

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2007, 03:07:37 AM »
Week 3 - Day 15 Post-Op Mon 19/2/07

Well back at work today, I will quickly update in dot points below:

- At this stage walking unassisted with a limp most of the time, I still use one crutch for walking long distances.
- My knee bend has improved significantly, somewhere over 120 deg.
- Leg is still quite weak as I still find it difficult to walk and stand with a straight leg.† Physio has me doing lots of straight leg raises and circles.
- Drove for the first time 2 days ago which went well.
- Had the ends of my dissolvable stiches cut off Thursday last week and the surgeon was happy with my progress apart from a little more swelling than he would like.

- Generally I feel like I am going well however I would like to more aggressively start getting strength back in the leg. I'm thinking of starting partial squats and/or wall slides.
- Next physio appointment Thursday this week.

Cheers

David

Offline Bulldog

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2007, 01:16:23 PM »
David,
Check with pt about the wall slides.  You would'nt do too much too soon.
9/24/05 surgery ACL & Posterior horn
1/24/06 surgery, 3rd degree tear medial posterior horn meniscus
9/12/06 Meniscal transplant

Offline Horz

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2007, 01:22:36 AM »
Week 3 - Day 17 Post-Op Wed 21/2/07

Another quick update:

- I have stopped using crutches all together.  I am still limping and very tentative with my walking.  I am okay going upstairs normally, but still very careful when walking downstairs normally.

- Last night I rode on a stationary bike for 10 minutes with no resistance and the seat as high as I could get it.  Over the coming days I will add a minute each day and lower the seat to improve my ROM.  Not going to add resistance for a while.

- My knee bend is going pretty well - almost the same as my other leg, problem is I am unflexible all over so my good leg bend probably is not that great.

Cheers

David

Offline Horz

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2007, 12:07:58 AM »
Week 3 - Day 19 Post-Op Fri 23/02/07

Hi all, another quick update:

- Still walking with a bit of a limp but gradually increasing the amount of time/distance I walk.

- Went to the physio yesterday - she is really happy with my progress.  I am to continue with the straight leg raises and beginning to add weights.  I have been given the go ahead to increase resistance on the bike and even mentioned a return to more challenging activities at six weeks.  My next appointment is not for another month.

- My knee flexion still has a little way to go in the end range as its still a little sore.  I also still have some swelling around the fat pad/patella tendon

- Last night I was also able to comfortably do an upper body, abs and lower back workout without to many problems.

Cheers

David

fawn2388

« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2007, 02:48:05 AM »
Your doing good - just like everyone else - DON'T over do it, its good your being agressive, but don't be over agressive, because the bump can unfourently come back, and it can be painful again. But not to scare you! Just stay within your PTs limits and maybe a little extra - if you ever want to add an excerise ask your PT first - they can modify it/or let you do it. The worst they could say is no - correct?

Offline Horz

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2007, 02:48:30 AM »
Week 4 Thu 08/03/07

Hi all

Things I feel are going well:

- Swelling is almost completely down
- I cant notice myself limping or having any problems going up and down stairs.
- I was even able to gingerly jog to the car through the rain yesterday.
- I am stationary cycling for about 20 minutes a day with a bit of resistance.
- Still not squatting yet and still have a bit of soreness when I fully flex my leg.† Still occasionally doing weighted leg raises.
- Incision still has a few small scabs on it and I continue to tape it with micropore to stop the scar from spreading (???)
- Otherwise my thigh is still somewhat smaller on my operated site and I am still trying to get the VMO bigger.

- I am hoping to start doing weight lunges, squats and normal bicycling at 6 weeks and begin running at three months as per my OS instructions.

- Also my calf and outside of knee have been sore for some reason - I guess its the entire leg still recovering from the trauma of surgery.

Cheers

David
« Last Edit: March 08, 2007, 02:51:15 AM by Horz »

Offline Horz

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2007, 04:58:43 AM »
6 Months Post Op

Hi all.

Thought I might drop in and update on my progress.

I am well on my way to running the 10k Fun Run in September '07 mentioned in my first post.† Currently I am able to run 4 times a week for up to 35 minutes.
I started running very short distances in May and have since very gradually and methodically increased the distance and intensity. I have also get my weight down from 95 kgs in Oct '06 to 87 kgs currently.

Otherwise - I am still subconsciously very tentative about squatting.† To pick something up I will tend to bend rather than squat.† There also still seems to be a slight VMO muscle size difference.† I also have some remaining skin numbness and a slight lump on the side of my patella tendon.† It does not seem to cause me any problems or pain so I am not to concerned about it.

Will follow up with a final post after the race and hopefully a PB.

Cheers

David† † † † † † † †;D
« Last Edit: August 15, 2007, 05:07:31 AM by Horz »

Offline tcdbiker

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2013, 08:58:33 PM »
Hi David,

I am considering this procedure after 9 months of PT, rest, and cross training. I notice that whenever I open up the throttle a bit (be it running, cycling, basketball, etc.), I end up with tendonitis type symptoms for several days.

I want to run fast again and am wondering about your 6 year follow-up, if you're still out there.

Best,
Travis

support