Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: PCL Reconstruction  (Read 1547 times)

Offline DalenJ93

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
PCL Reconstruction
« on: October 13, 2013, 05:51:46 AM »
Hey everybody, I tore my PCL during my first scrimmage football game. First 48 hours were really painful. I'm usually an active person so staying home everyday has been the hardest thing for me, I have been pretty depressed about it lately. I had surgery on October 3rd so I'm a little over a week after surgery. It's not very easy I miss walking! Haha but I know I can get through this. I been in physical therapy since Wednesday and it is definitely pretty difficult. I don't get to meet with my doctor for another 2 weeks. Just trying to figure out how to be more comfortable I completely stop taking my pain meds after 1 week because they left some extreme discomfort with constipation but the pain isn't anything I can't handle. I'm just wondering how you guys are so strong and accepting of this injury it really gets to me sometimes.

Offline PhillyCanuck

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 1
Re: PCL Reconstruction
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2013, 07:33:05 PM »
I'm 8 weeks post surg. for MCL and PCL, so I understand a bit of what you are going through. 

Are you weight bearing?  In a brace?  Any PT scheduled?  I suspect you are a bit bored being sedentary all of a sudden, and probably miss football.  Dealing with this boredom  is a big part of the battle.  Not getting cabin fever, or negative etc.  Even if you are on crutches, you still need to get out when possible, and see people. 

All the best in your recovery, it certainly is an experience.

Offline DalenJ93

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2013, 10:17:50 PM »
I'm only toe touch right now with weight bearing I'm in a brace 0 extension I'm actually able to bend my knee 80 flexion and my problem is I'm stubborn with this because of how badly i want to able to walk so i actually tried to . It wasnt a complete fail but I really shouldn't have haha

Offline DalenJ93

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2013, 10:18:41 PM »
And yes I have PT 3 days a week

Offline PhillyCanuck

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2013, 02:59:04 AM »
Uh, I wouldn't try walking just yet.  My surgery was both PCL and MCL,   but six weeks NWB is normal for PCL, and premature strain on the graph is probably just going to stretch it.  This would then create laxity in the knee.  This would be bad.  Being patient is not easy, but should pay off.  The brace sucks.  No way around it. 

PT 3x a week should help keep your leg strength up.  This will be crucial later on.  Just keep looking forward to being mobile again.  There are no real shortcuts in this rehab.  I counted days until I could walk.  Hope this perspective helps.