Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Why is pain worse at night?  (Read 18095 times)

Offline Beth621

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Why is pain worse at night?
« on: February 01, 2007, 01:48:07 AM »
I'm finding that my knee pain is tolerable to nonexistent during the day when I'm working, and then in the evening it gets worse, at night almost intolerable keeping me awake or waking frequently.  Any ideas as to why this happens?

Offline Audice

• Global Moderator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
Re: Why is pain worse at night?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2007, 12:03:28 PM »
Hi Beth ~ I found that to be true with my knee for months after the injury. I atttributed the achiness to the fact that I wasn't moving & my knee was not happy being in one position for any length of time. It used to stiffen right up. I finally resorted to icing before I went to bed & taking a couple of Advil. At one point I had a pillow under my knee which also helped. The night pain's eventually passed. Wishing you well...Ellie 
April, 2005 - ACL rupture, medial meniscus tear within posterior horn to articular surface, abnormal signal within lateral meniscus, partial tear MCL, bone contusions tibia/fibula, Baker's cyst.
No repairs.

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2007, 12:41:06 PM »
Agree with Audice, once you lay down and try to sleep.. then all the pain becomes more appartent.  I also find if i'm thinking about it... I notice it more and at night.. we can think, beacuse we don't have a billion other things to do.
I ice before bed, pop a tylenol and sleep with a very nice down pillow under my leg. It's nicer than the pillow under my head but I find it so comforting, to have it there. Then before I close my eyes, I try to relax every muscle in my body... and do some nice deep breathing. You'll think i'm a nut but it works. 
Something I did find that helped, when I was younger.. was a prescription drug called amitryptaline (can't spell) anyway.. it used to be used as an anti-depresant but have found it helpful in patients with chronic pain. I would take one about half an hour before bed and I really found getting to sleep much easier.   And it didn't make me groggy like sleeping pills.. just helped me to get to sleep and stay that way.

Goodluck, hope that helped.
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?

Offline garth

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2007, 11:21:41 PM »
I generally find that my knee pain increases during the day at work and then suddenly shoots up later on at night. I've always put it to being a combination of the knee being more fatigued and me having less distractions. My legs also seem to get real twitchy at night sometimes which can keep me awake for hours.
Knee troubles since 1997
Dec 07 - Scope, just a clear up.
Feb 09 - Plica removal
Nov 09 - Lateral release
Mar 11 - More done to LR and some 'tweaks'
Nov 12 - Fulkerson and possible vmo advancement, dont know yet!

Offline Ronxski

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2007, 05:42:59 PM »
Garth, I seem to recall seeing something on TV a while back about Restless Leg Syndrome. You might want to google that .

Or It could be something as easy as taking a calcium magnesium supplement to relieve the twitching. But if you are any kinds of medication calcium can make certain kinds not work. Might be worth checking into.   Ron
partial meniscus removal, posterior horn of medial meniscus tear,horizontal cleavage type. Dec. O4
Age 56
back to cross country skiing and biking.

redtoblack

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2007, 07:45:21 PM »
I have the same problem.  My knee wakes me up multiple times each night.  I am a very "active" sleeper, so that doesn't help :)  I make sure to stretch before going to bed and if it's really bad I take some advil.

Jordan

Offline garth

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2007, 09:27:20 PM »
Ronxski, I've heard of RLS, my dad suffers from the same problem. Thanks for suggesting the calcium magnesium supplement. I only really seem to get it badly when I'm really worn out for some reason. The rest of the time it doesn't really bother me.
Knee troubles since 1997
Dec 07 - Scope, just a clear up.
Feb 09 - Plica removal
Nov 09 - Lateral release
Mar 11 - More done to LR and some 'tweaks'
Nov 12 - Fulkerson and possible vmo advancement, dont know yet!

Offline rfutrell

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2007, 10:07:55 PM »
Beth:

I am in your same boat. My knee injury is livable during the day, but at nite I must take something to sleep. IE: Pain Killers & Sleep Aides

Nothing I have found helps. I wish someone could find a releif for us who suffer at nite with knee pains.

02/06 - Orthoscopic Surgery - Right Knee
09/06 - Orthoscopic Surgery - Right Knee
01/07 - Rooster Injection (Sorry Not Sure What Its Called)

Offline Ronxski

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2007, 01:52:52 AM »
I sometimes get really bad leg cramps from the knees on down to the toes. The toes will start to curl and the muscles contract into my arches of my feet.  And it seems to hit most of the time at bedtime or will wake me up during the night and I have to sit up and rub from the knee , through the calves and feet and try to pull the toes straight.
I'll get that swimming sometimes too the few times I do that a year.
I was told about the calcium magnesium plus drinking more water so I do that at night when I do have that problem and it helps me. But you have to find a good natural kind that gets into your system and absorbs. not the cheap stuff that goes in one end and out the other.   

Ron
partial meniscus removal, posterior horn of medial meniscus tear,horizontal cleavage type. Dec. O4
Age 56
back to cross country skiing and biking.

Offline luckygrandma

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2007, 01:12:49 PM »
I'm finding that my knee pain is tolerable to nonexistent during the day when I'm working, and then in the evening it gets worse, at night almost intolerable keeping me awake or waking frequently.  Any ideas as to why this happens?
You said it yourself Beth when you said while you are busy during the day your pain is not bad. During the day you are busy and not thinking abuot it as much but when you are in bed that is all you think about and notice things a lot more.  I started to get side affects from pain killers that I was on and dutrng the day I noticed nothing, but at night I itched all over like ants were crawling on me.

Offline shortyclairebear

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2007, 08:04:42 PM »
HI IVE JUST HAD MY SECOND KNEE OP DONE IVE HAD A LR AND PATELLA REALIGNMENT A FORTNIGHT AGO.
READING SOME OF THE OTHER COMMENTS I CAN DEF AGREE WITH!!
I CANNOT SLEEP AT ALL ON A NIGHT.I DON'T NEED NO PAIN RELIEF NOW DURING THE DAY BUT ON A NIGHT THE PAIN SEEMS TO START STRAIGHT AWAY.
I ALSO GET VERY ITCHY ON A NIGHT AND GENERALLY DREAD GOING TO BED NOW!!
I FEEL ONCE I GET UP OUT OUT BED ASWELL I GET A "SURGE" AROUND MY KNEE....IT HORRID LIKE A BUILD UP OF PRESSURE :'(
i had a motorcycle accident-landed on right knee!(mar 05)
...arthroscopy - 4th feb 06.
...VMO Advancement,LR+JMedial reefing - 24th jan 07.
...28 feb 07 i fell down 14 stairs.....more pain and stress!
...now at PT working on ROM and strenghening

support