Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: LighthouseFan's MPFL Recon. & LR post-op diary  (Read 43136 times)

Offline LighthouseFan

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
LighthouseFan's MPFL Recon. & LR post-op diary
« on: January 29, 2007, 01:32:26 AM »
Hi All -

Sorry it has taken me so long to post anything.  I had MPFL Reconstruction (using cadaver ligament - so no harvest site to deal with  :)) and LR surgery on Jan.18, 2007.  Ended up staying in hospital overnight (unexpectedly) and have been recovering at my grandmother's house since then (unfortunately she does not have internet access so I can't post anything while I am there  :().  I am visiting my parents for a little while today so I will try to post some of the post-op diary notes I have been keeping and will finish updating the post next time I visit parents (may be next weekend or so until I can do that).  I will be staying with my grandmother for at least another week (since she has told me I can stay with her longer and she does not have many steps to get into her home and I live in a second floor apartment).  Anyways . . . Here's the info:

Surgery Day
7:30 am - arrived at hospital.  Met with nurse, anesthesiologist, OS, etc.  Discussed concerns with anesthesiologist to make sure pain meds would be on board when I woke up from surgery.  OS assured me they would make sure I had been given pain meds before I go to recovery.  IV antibiotics were started and my grandmother was allowed to come back to wait with me.  OS came in to try to examine my knee before surgery.  Too much pain so OS couldn't complete exam to see how unstable kneecap was.  OS said he would examine it more under anesthesia.  He said either way he would do a lateral release, but that if the knee cap didn't go out completely and was only moderately unstable he would advance the muscle and tighten up the ligament instead of doing the reconstruction.  I also told OS that the R knee had subluxed multiple times the last few days (so he would realize that it was also loose in case he tried to use it for comparison during the surgery).  OS stressed how major this surgery and recovery is.

Surgery was scheduled for 8:30am.  They are running late.  Taken to OR at 9:15am.  Given anesthesia in OR.  Woke up in recovery shortly after 11:30am.

Pain medicine on board prior to waking up, but pain still 6/10.  Given more pain meds, but pain continued to increase.  Given more pain meds.  Pain sometimes decreased slightly for a few minutes, but would go up again.  :'(  Pain fluctuates significantly with meds.  Crying at times dur to pain.  At times pain was 9 1/2 out of 10.  Meds given: Fintyl (spelling?) in OR & in recovery, 60mg Toradol, 2 Percocet, 20mg Morphine, 1 Oxycontin.  Nurses were calling anesthesiologist to request orders for pain meds 1st few times, then anesthesiologist told nurses to call OS.  OS ordered Morphine and siad he would check on me when he gets out of surgery.  Pain still bad (along medial side of knee and under knee cap).  OS said he was admitting me to the hospital overnight to get pain under control, that he'd prescribe a patient controlled morphine pump and another course ofIV anitbiotics since I was staying.  OS said he would see me tonight.  Recovery room nurses set up morphine pump.

Around 4:30pm - taken to room in Orthopedic wing of hospital.  Family visited  :).  Ate dinner (pretty good for hospital food  ;)).  Talked with roommate (very nice lady) who had TKR 4 days ago.  Nurse told me to push button to activate morphine pump every 8 minutes until pain got down to 3 or 4/10.  Then to use pump PRN to keep pain contolled at 3 or 4/10.  After a few hours, got pain down to 4/10 so spread out time between pump activations.  Saw OS at 7:50pm when he was done in OR.  OS said that the knee was a "real mess".  OS did lateral release and MPFL Reconstruction.  OS said there was cartilage damage (I think OS said it was along Trochlear groove) from each time kneecap dislocated, but that there isn't much that can be done for it.  OS said he will see me tomorrow morning.  OS said he was glad to see I was in less pain that before (I was crying when he saw me in recovery) and that tomorrow they will wean me off pump and see how I do with Oxycontin and Percocet.  After OS left, I talked with roommate some more.

Pain began increasing again.  Just at time I was going to press pump, the pump began beeping, saying morphine was low.  Nurse replaced morphine cartridge and pump began beeping a few minutes later.  Turns out the tubing was shredded & leaking  :'(.  Nurse called to get help replacing tubing. About 25 minutes later I could use pump again.  3 hours later - still had not gotten pain back under control (it was 6/10).  Nurse gave me 2 Percocets.  About 20 minutes later, pain had increased to 7/10 & pain started along midpart of shin.  Nurse said she would check back in about 1/2 hour.  Pain pump low again.  Nurse increased morphine dose when refilled pump.  Pain still 7/10.  Itching -  began on arm with IV and ankle of L leg, spread to entire body.  No orders for Benadryl.  Nurse was calling to try to get an order.  Dr. did not write orders for Benadryl.  Just trying to keep self distracted from itching.  Nurse increased morphine pump dosage @2am and again @4am.  About 5:30am - pain got down to about 4 1/2 out of 10.  So finally got about 20 minutes of sleep.  About 6:15am pain is at 4/10 - now just need to keep it down!

Day 1 Post Op (Jan.19)
- Still can't lift own leg  :(
- Haven't gotten out of bed since surgery.  Due to difficulties with pain control, not even allowed out of bed to go to bathroom (have to use bed pan  :-\)
- Saw OS in hospital - OS said knee was "really messed up".  OS said surgery went well.  OS said every time knee dislocated it damaged cartilage in trochlear groove, but there's not much OS can do about it.  OS said he hopes that it doesn't cause me too much problems down the road.  OS asked about pain level: about 4/10.  OS asked if I had been taking pain meds at home before surgery.  I explained that I had been taking Vicodin for pain, but stopped taking it when I found out I would be having surgery and took Ibuprofen instead.  I stated that when I went for pre-admission testing, nurse told me I couldn't take ibuprofen for a week before surgery and that I should take the Vicodin if I needed to for pain.  I stated that I had managed to only take 3 Vicodin that week before surgery.  OS said that taking Vicodin before surgery could explain the pain management difficulties I was having after surgery, but that he did not think taking 3 pills the week before surgery should have caused that much of a problem.  OS said he was changing my orders for meds when I go home (add Celebrex & increase Oxycontin).  OS said to stop morphine pump and take Percocet this afternoon to see what pain level is with pills alone.  OS said I have to keep immobilizer on and use crutches, that I can do ankle pumps at home if able to do so with not too much pain, and that he was prescribing Oxycontin (2x/day), Percocet (2 pills every 4-6 hours), Celebrex daily, and 1 baby aspirin/day.
- My previous PT assistant stopped in to see me.   :)  She was working at hospital that day & had patient get discharged so she had time in her schedule.  She knew I wasn't supposed to be admitted to hospital, but she saw me on hospital PT list (so she knew I was admitted).  It was good to talk to her for awhile about surgery and how I was doing.
- Late morning - got up for 1st time to go to bathroom.  Lightheaded.  Blood rush to leg was painful.
- Nurse bathed me in bed.  Interesting  :-[.  1st time for everything.  No modesty after this surgery (bedpan, bathed in bed, etc.)  :-\
- Pain was controlled at 4/10 prior to PT.
- Dizzy at PT.  PT at 11:30am to practice walking on crutches and doing stairs.  Extra tough when still can't lift own leg.  WHen doing stairs, crutch (L one) slipped off step and full weight came down on op-leg (L).  :-\ :'( I was seeing stars, crying instantly!  I originally only had 1 PT (stood behind me holding my gown to help balance me), but when this happened, by time had full weight shifted to good leg there were 3 other PT's at my side.  I managed to get back to wheelchair, crying whole time.  Pain primarily @ MPFL Reconstruction site & under kneecap.  I worried I may have "undone" reconstruction.  PT asked if I wasnted to try walking again.  I said "No" (too much pain & just wanted to get back to room).  PT sat me in another room to wait for transport.  My previous PT assistant came over to see how I was doing.  I told her about slip/fall and she helped to calm me down some.  PT told me she would call my floor nurse to tell her what had happened.
- Back in room, nurse gave me ice & graham crackers so I could take more Percocet.  Pain @ 8/10.  Expressed concerns about slip/fall to nurse.  OS not back in office until after 1pm.  Nurse spoke w/OS later.  OS not concerned about checking knee before I go home.  Said knee is stable (& since I had immobilizer on and and just landed standing on that leg {instead of falling and hitting knee cap on something, etc.}) and I couldn't have damaged or "undone" knee.  OS stated that he knew knee would be/is very painful and instructed nurse to give me pain pills and see how they do.  Eventually pain went down to 4 1/2 out of 10.
- Ate lunch & let pain pills kick in.  ROommate discharged and asked me to keep in touch with her.
- I was discharged at 4:30pm.  Aunt and grandmother picked me up.  Dropped off prescriptions @ pharmacy on way home.  Dad picked up meds on way home from work.
- Got to grandmother's house and was more than ready to lay down with leg propped on pillows.  Had to use bathroom 1st (interesting figuring out how to do on own).
- Took pain pills & went to sleep.
- Parents visited.  :)
- Ate sandwich for dinner (not hungry for much of anything but knew had to eat so could take pain meds).
- more meds, TV, & sleeping (trying to catch up for not sleeping more than 20 minutes night before)
- scheduled cell phone to go off and tell me which meds to take each time for the rest of night and tomorrow.

That's all I have time to post now.  Will try to catch up on getting posts to current day next time I have internet access (probably will be next weekend or so before I can do that).  I need to get back to grandmother's house and get knee elevated.  Swelling quite a bit and painful right now, but is tolerable with pain pills at this time.  I hope everyone is doing well.  Please know that you are all in my thoughts and prayers, even though I can't read your posts and send messages most of the time at this point.  Take care.

- Heather
Numerous subluxes/dislocations of R knee - 1991 to 1997
R knee arthroscopy (removal of plica band and some cartilage) - 1997
L foot surgery (removal of accessory navicular) - 1999
Numerous subluxes/dislocations of L knee - 1991 to present
L knee LR and MPFL reconstruction - 1/18/2007

Offline LighthouseFan

• Forum Faithful
Re: LighthouseFan's MPFL Recon. & LR post-op diary
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2007, 01:00:27 AM »
Hi Fellow KneeGeeks -

Sorry it has taken me so long to get back to posting.  I didn't have internet access until this week and this week has been a very rough week.  I'm going to get caught up as quickly as possible (in the next day or two) on posting all of the notes I have been keeping.

Day 2 Post-Op
- Pain kept at 3 or 4/10 through night by taking meds every 4 hours (waking up in middle of night to do so).
- kept leg propped up on 3 pillows all night (per OS instructions)
- spent most of day/evening reclining in an electronic lift chair with leg resting on pillow.  Iced knee periodically.  Decided best way to ice knee is to unstrap immobilizer (trying not to move leg at all when immobilizer is not strapped) & lay ice pack on top of ace bandage.
- Even through wrap, leg appears to be somewhat more swollen today.
- Ace wrap was sliding down towards ankle, so with help of mother & grnadmother we unwrapped & re-wrapped knee.  Mother help ankle to elevate (so I could get wrap under leg) and help keep leg straight.  Grandmother help side of immobilizer out of the way while I unwrapped leg.  Quite a site/ordeal seeing it take 3 people to get my knee unwrapped and re-wrapped.
- Incisions don't look as bad as I expected.  Mother & I took pictures (will post once I get back to my apartment and can get connector for digital camera to computer).  Looks like OS stitched incisions with fishing line & glued skin together.
- Will be glad to see OS on Monday to see how I can change dressings.
- Although MPFL incision area has been most painful, LR site was somewhat sorer today.  Muscle is more sore going up thigh (both sides, but more so on LR side).
- About 1/2 hour before can take next dose of pain meds, pain increases to 6/10 (ocasionally 7/10) even though leg is still elevated at the time.  Pain was usually 4/10 throughout day & evening.  Could definitely feel painful blood rushes each time I had to get up.
- Still itching all over (but no rash) so need to ask OS on Monday to see if side effect of meds.
- Annoying when knee is itchy under ace wrap & I can't scratch it because I can't unwrap it & can't see exactly where incisions are to know if I can scratch there.

Offline LighthouseFan

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2007, 03:18:43 AM »
Post-Op Day 3
- Pain kep around 4/10 through the night with getting up in middle of night to take meds on schedule (every 4 hours).  It would be so nice to get a longer chunk of sleep, but I'm afraid to not stay on top of the pain meds.  I don't want to let the pain get out of control like it did at the hospital.
- With all meds OS has me on (& with taking multiple meds at the same time), I am taking meds 8x/day.  :-\
- knee is itchier today.  Hopefully it just means that it's healing.  ::)  I didn't unwrap the knee, but took a peak from one edge of the bandage.  No obvious signs of infection or rash from what I could see.  However, looks like I may have an extra arthroscope/portal than what I had been told to expect.
- Ace wrap still sliding down inside immobilizer.  Tried to pull it up/adjust it without unwrapping it.  Not very successful.  I'm not supposed to do anything with the bandaging until I have the 1st post-op follow-up appointment with OS.
- See OS tomorrow morning at 10am.  I made a list of questions for the OS so I wouldn't forget what I wanted to ask him.
- Muscle (primarily lateral side thigh) has been twitching/jumping more today. More painful with the muscle twitches.
- With meds & ice, pain is about 4/10, but goes to 6 or 7/10 when the muscle twitches repeatedly.
- Leg soreness area seems to be spreading and leg seems more swollen today.
- I still get painful blood rushes when I get up to go to bathroom, etc.
- Basically spent day on recliner in grandmother's family room.
- Can't do quad contractions.  Difficulty lifting leg.  Doing ankle pumps, painful but know I need to do them.

Post-Op Day 4
- Saw OS today for 1st Post-op follow-up visit.  OS said the knee was more messed up than he had expected and that there was a cartilage defect in the trochlear groove.  Each time knee cap would go back in after dislocation it scraped cartilage.  OS smoothed cartiliage out as best as possible and said nothing else can really be done for it.  OS stated that cartilage defect can lead to early arthritis, but that it's like "looking into a crystal ball" to say it is will cause problems down the road.  OS stated that hopefully it will be a long time down the road before it causes problems.  OS stated that this incisions were closed internally with bio-absorbable stitches and that OS will cut "fishing line-type thing" at a later appointment.  OS used a bio-absorbable screw in the femur and 2 bio-absorbable anchors in the knee cap so there will be no need to have hardware removal down the road.  I can also now leave my incisions uncovered and can shower.  YEA!!!  :) I've just got to figure out how to do that without putting any weight on the leg.  I'm supposed to ice the knee one hour on and one hour off.  I start PT this week 2x/week for 6 weeks.  OS gave me a detailed description/protocol to give to PT (since no one in this area has had MPFL recon done before) with specifics: "Achieve normal flexion (equal to opposite side)" and "no focus on strengthening until achieve full motion".  OS also gave me home stretches to do 3 times daily for 15 minutes each time.  I also was told that I no longer need to wake self up in middle of night for pain meds unless pain is what wakes me up.  OS told me that the biggest thing I need to watch out for/be careful of is to make sure not to fall.  OS stated that falling would be the worst thing I could do right now because a fall could undo surgery or break knee cap.
- Pain was about 4/10 with meds.  However, pain was 7/10 during and shortly after stretching exercises.
- It's snowing today and I was very careful not to slip when I was out to go to OS appointment.
- Got 1st shower since surgery.  It was awkward, but felt great!  :)

Post-Op Day 5
- Pain worse this morning.  I would have thought that pain should have been getting a bit better by now.  Didn't wake up in middle of night to take pain meds.  Leg is swollen (brace feels extra tight), even though kep leg elevated all night.  Knee throbs when got up to go to bathroom.
- Pain is 7 or 8/10.  With pain meds got pain down to 4/10.
- 1st PT visit today.  Glad I got the PT I requested.  Session was tough, but PT is nice and understanding.  I can barely bend knee.  PT manipulated knee cap (very small movements).  PT said knee cap was very stiff and contributed to difficulties bending knee.  Painful and scary to have PT manipulate knee cap, but PT was gentle.  PT lifted leg to bed knee as much as was bearable (very little bed, only a few degrees).  PT originally said he was going to do 10, but saw how much pain I was in and so only did 7 & then gave me a break.  PT then said he was going to do another 10, but stopped at 8 when he saw my pain.  I told PT that I still can't lift my own leg (I reach down and pull on strap on immobilizer when I need to lift leg for something) & PT said that's OK and it will come along slowly.  He told me not to worry about it.  PT used electrical stimulation & ice for 20 minutes to decrease swelling and wake up muscles.  PT told me that I should come in for PT everyday.  I told him that I would not be able to have a ride in to PT daily.  PT told me to decide how often I could have transportation to PT and let him know.  OS originally prescribed PT for 2x/week, but PT said he could fax request to OS for new prescription for PT more often.  PT said it shouldn't be a problem & that OS's usually ok more frequent PT.  PT was surprised and commented that I have excellent health insurance benefits when he saw that my insurance covers unlimited PT sessions.  (Great to know that I have such good insurance . . . PT session coverage should make recovery a bit smoother  ;))  PT told me that it's important for me to come to PT as often as possible so I can get ROM back as quickly as possible.  He said the longer it takes for me to get ROM the less likely it is that I will ever get full ROM back.  OS sent a very specific prescription for PT.  I had told OS yesterday that previous PT Assistant had said they would need detailed prescription because they did not know that type of rehab protocol to follow for MPFL reconstruction.  OS wrote prescription for PT stating that main goal is to achieve full ROM (full flexion), "push to fexion" want same as opposite side, no focus on strengthening until achieve full motion.     I told PT I could come in 3x/week (preferrably in the morning since that works best for grandmother to drive me in).  PT and other PT's/Assistants in the office kept looking at my OS's handiwork commenting that it looked pretty good and that the scar shouldn't be too bad.  They also wondered why OS left such long pieces of "fishing line" coming out each end of the incision.  I told them I didn't know, but that OS said he would cut them at a later appointment.  PT joked around and told me that I should put beads on them to decorate it  ;).  From talking to PT, other PTs/Assistants @ PT office, & hospital staff it sounds like I may be the first one in this area to have this surgery done here.  People are curious about this surgery, what was done, what recovery will be like, etc.  PT is focusing on OS's specific directions & is gentle/understanding about pain, but will push me to make sure I work through pain to do what I need to do to get through recovery.  PT said reason I should come to PT as often as possible is because knee cap is stiff and I can't manipulate my own knee cap properly & because PT won't be as nice about exercises (pain) as I will be to myself during home exercises.  We scheduled for 3x/week.  I'm glad I'm working with this PT.  Hopefully, I can get ROM back quickly enough so OS won't do MUA.  OS says I'm not even allowed to walk until I get full ROM back.  Anyways . . . PT was big event of the day.
- Did 2 sets of home stretching (instead of 3 since had PT today).  Harder to bend knee today than yesterday,  2nd set considerably harder (less bed) and more painful.
- knee is very hot (even after icing, most of knee remains very hot).
- Knee has multiple numb spots on skin.  Hopefully they will go away over time.
- Scope holes seem fin, but MPFL incision is very itchy.  Trying super hard not to scratch incision, sometimes scratch around incision or gently rub over incision with palm of hand.  I think glue is what's making leg extra itchy.  Incision is mainly covered by steri-strips, but there are places where glue is on skin not covered by Steri-strip.  Itching in those areas stopped when I scratched glue off skin.
- I hate having to ask someone to do things for me or to drive me anywhere I have to go.  I don't like feeling like I'm imposing on someone or making someone do something I know they don't want to do.
- I'm also frustrated by people making comments that downplay what I'm going through or the recovery road that lies ahead of me.  They just don't understand.  :'(

Offline LighthouseFan

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2007, 03:53:27 AM »
Post-Op Day 6
- Slept a bit better last night.  :)  Only woke up once - knee hurt some, but I was very stiff.
- Pain has remained about 4/10, but fluctuated more today than in the past few days.  Exercises (bending & extension) are more painful today than yesterday.  I make sure pain meds are in full force before I do my exercises, but after I finish exercises pain remains at 7/10 for awhile.  I ices & pain goes down to 5 or 6/10.  It takes about 2 hours before pain goes down to a 4/10.
- My ankle seems to be a bit swollen.  Not sure what I can do about it since I already keep my leg elevated almost all day (basically anytime except when I have to use the bathroom or shower).  My mom came over to have dinner tonight (brought McDonalds) with my grandmother and I.  Mom took picture of my knee for me and said she thinks knee is more swollen than it had been.
- Thigh muscles are extra stiff and sore today.  Not sure it that's from the surgery, from wearing the immobilizer, or from sitting around with leg elevated.  Hopefully, it's nothing serious.  If it keeps up, I may say something to my PT next time I see him.  I have PT tomorrow but will be working with a PT Assistant because my PT is not working tomorrow.
- This evening my grandmother offered to let me stay with her for an extra week.  I thanked her & told her I would take her up on that offer.  It's nice to have the company and definitely makes things easier for me (she makes meals and gets ice or drinks for me when needed).  I try not to ask her for too much (in fact, she's usually the one asking if I need ice or anything).  I am very thankful for her and her willingness to help me out during recovery.   :)  I have definitely been blessed! ;D

Post-Op Day 7
- Leg feels swollen, throbbing, and painful when got up this morning.  Pain is 7/10.  Took pain meds and pain decreased to 5/10.
- While waiting for PT, a lady in the waiting room asked if I had surgery and then what I had done.  I told her LR and MPFL recon.  She asked about scar & how it's going.  She told me her daughter is scheduled for MPFL recon in February.  We have same surgeon.  We talked for awhile & I gave her web address for KneeGeeks and my screen name in case she or daughter wants to talk with someone who has gone through same thing.
- PT today.  painful.  Tried new exercises to gain flexion.  Tried TENS unit to decrease pain while doing exercises (helped some).  Knee more swollen today.  Active ROM = 37-degrees; Passive ROM measured at 42-degrees (PT was being generous - it was closer to 41-degrees).  PT asked me again today if there was any way that I could come in everyday.  I told him I could only aske my grandmother to bring me to PT 3x/week.  I told him the only way I could come in more often is if I can come on weekend or evenings after parents get off work.  My PT said he is working at hospital this weekend, so he scheduled me for a session with him on Saturday at the hospital.
- Lateral side of thigh is extra sore and tight.
- I've gotten multiple Charley Horses (big cramps) in calf muscle today (very painful).
- Leg continues to get stiffer and more sore each time I bend the knee.
- Got a Get Well card from bosses and co-workers today (totally made my day)!!!!  ;D
- Took shower tonight.  I would have thought that it would get easier each time I took a shower (figuring out logistics of showering while standing on one leg and not putting any weight on op-leg at anytime).  However, it was harder to get shower tonight than Monday night (post-op day 4).  After shower, (within 5 minutes) I was sitting with my knee elevated with ice on it.  Knee hasn't hurt this much since I came home from the hospital.  :-\ :'(

Post-Op Day 8
- Knee swollen, throbbing, painful when got up this morning.  I wear my immobilizer and keep my leg elevated with 3 pillows (as per OS's specific instructions).  I don't know what else I can do to reduce swelling and pain in monring.  I'll have to ask PT today to see if he has any ideas.
- I definitely still feel blood rushes when I have to stand up for something.
- Maneuvering with crutches and figuring out how to do some basic things (like getting dressed, putting on shoes, using bathroom, etc) has gotten easier that it was earlier this week.  Showering and trying to carry some things are still very difficult.
- I am so thankful & fortunate to have a family that helps me out.  My grandmother is spoiling me  ;D (cooking, doing laundry, buring foods that I'm hungry for), but I hate asking for things & don't want to be making her do so much stuff for me. 
- Called OS's office to get another prescription of Percocet.  I am trying not to take so much pain meds, but was worried that I may run out of Percocet before I could get refill on Monday or Tuesday.  Dad was supposed to be picking up script from Dr. at lunch and dropping it off at pharmacy.
- PT today.  PT showed me some new things to do at home to stretch knee.  PT used TENS unit to decrease pain while he bent my knee.  PT also rubbed knee or scratched knee where I told him it was painful while he bent my knee.  It helped because rubbing the skinn or scratching it gave me a different sensation to focus on instead of pain there while stretching the knee.  PT measured ROM (assisted) at 41-degrees at beginning of PT and ROM (assisted) was 62-degrees at end of stretching.  :) It was painful, but made some progress.  PT joked around that he was wearing his "mean hat" while he was pushing to bend my knee further, but he is pushing me because we both want to avoid me having to have MUA by the OS.  PT said only other thing he can think of to try to decrease swelling I have when I wake up is to try using an ace wrap under brace when I sleep.  We'll see how that goes.  PT loaned me a TENS unit to use at home to decrease pain and to hopefully aid in allowing me to bed knee more (by decreasing pain while I do so).
- TENS unit helped to decrease ain some and allowed me to bed knee more during home exercises (less pain = more bend  ;))
- While shaving tonight, I accidentally cut off fishing line thing on upper end of MPFL incision.  :-\ Only about 1/2 cm of fishing line is still sticking out of incision.  I'll call OS Monday morning to make sure there's no problem with this (also want to make sure OS doesn't need to do anything with it before skin heals over it).
- Dad didn't get to OS office before office closed for day.  :-\  Dad will pick up script for Percocet first thing Monday morning.  He said he hopes I have enough meds to get me through the weekend.  He also went to my apartment to see if I had any Percocet left in cabinet from injury earlier this year.  Thankfully I had 4 Percocet left from earlier injury.  I feel a little bit better that I should have enough meds to get me through weekend.

Offline LighthouseFan

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2007, 04:13:50 AM »
Post-Op Day 9
- Had knee wrapped in ace bandage (under immobilizer) overnight and kept knee elevated.  Woke up with knee still painful and throbbing, but not quite as swollen as other mornings.
- MPFL incision site is more painful and itchier than last few days.
- PT this morning.  PT really pushed me to bend my knee further.  So painful I almost climbed off table at one point.  Although painful, by end of bending/stretching, ROM = 73 degrees (with PT bending the knee).  PT says our goal is 110-degrees by end of next week.
- I'm ready to tead Steri-Strips off.  Very itchy.  Tore off 2 strips, but trying to leave other 4 strips on and deal with itchiness.
- Still have numb spots on knee (same as has been since surgery).
- More muscle twitches (some bad enough to cause leg to jump - knee extends enough to lift lower leg & foot off of pillow).
- Took off rest of steri-strips.  Couldn't stand the itching anymore.
- Emotions have been up & down dealing with knee (especially since the surgery).  I'm stir-crazy, frustrated/bummed at lack of mobility and pain.

Post-Op Day 10
- Knee remains swollen, throbbing, and painful when wake up in morning.  Ace wrap helps some, but not much.  Don't know what else to do (wrap ace bandage on knee, wear immobilizer, take pain meds before bed, sleep with leg elevated on 3 pillows).  I'm FRUSTRATED!!!!
- Visited with family at parents' house today.  Mom's family came in from out of town.  1st time they've seen me since surgery.  They were very curious about my knee (surgery, scar, rehab, pain, etc) especially when I had to hook myself up to the TENS unit & do my home stretching exercises.  Grandmother (not the one I'm staying with) brought me a beautiful plant.  I have no idea with kind it is, but it has bright red little flowers at the top of long straight stems, at base of stems the plant is full of green & white variegated leaves.  As I said, it's a beautiful plant & very cheerful to look at.   ;D Just brightens up the room.  I basically spent the afternoon plopped on the sofa with leg resting on coffee table right in front of me.  Watching 9-month old nephew made me laugh.  He just started walking 2 weeks ago.  He was exploring, getting into everything, talking to everyone, and very interested in trying to play with (& chew on) my crutches.  The smiling and laughting were good medicine for the day.  I'm been trying to remain positive & cheerful, but it's been getting much more difficult to do (frustrated, bouts of feeling down or sorry for myself, upset when people downplay how major or difficult this surgery and recovery are or doubt that I can be in as much pain as I am).  Anyways, watching my nephew play was very helpful in combatting the negative feelings.
- Mom painted my toe nails today.  Strange as it might seem, having my toe nails and fingernails painted helps me to feel better (emotionally).  To anyonw who might be reading this post and going through recovery or approaching surgery day . . . I highly recommend pampering yourself when possible.  Try to think of small things that typically help you feel better (physically & emotionally).  Make a list of those things that you could do for yourself (when mobility is limited or painful) and that you could ask someone to do for you (if you can't do for yourself).  Sometimes small things to pamper oneself can go a long way towards improving mood and making things more tolerable.  That has been my insight for the day.
- Throughout the day pain remained abut 3/10 (lowest of any day so far  :)), but tonight pain increased to 6/10.  Specific points on and under knee cap really started hurting (pain is constant, but gets worse when touched).  This is a new pain.  Not sure what this is from.  Also, lateral side of thigh muscle is very sore (medial side of thigh is also getting more sore).  Not sure why this is happening.  Muscle twitches have gotten stronger and more frequent.  Quad is still pretty much shut down.  Don't know when to expect quad to wake up.  Trying not to worry about it.

Offline LighthouseFan

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2007, 04:36:50 AM »
Post-Op Day 11
- Knee contineus to wake me up in middle of night (3x's last night) and still swells overnight (but ace wrap appears to help some).
- Iced knee prior to PT.
- PT today.  ROM = 75-degrees after PT really pushed me and bent my knee (painful).  PT commented that it looks like my incision is healing nicely & that scar should look pretty good.  PT began to gently massage incision area to staart loosening the scar tissue.  PT said he will more aggressively massage scar area once incision is completely healed.  When I asked about lateral thigh muscle soreness, PT said he has had other patients who have had lateral release done & had muscle soreness afterwards, but not as far up thigh as I do.  PT said that if a tournicate had been used during surgery (& PT's not sure it if was or not) that could explain muscle soreness being further up thigh.  PT remarked that knee does not look as swollen today.
- I'm frustrated that I've only gained 2-degrees ROM between Saturday and today (Monday).  I need to gain ROM more than that and more quickly than that.  I'm trying to avoid have OS do an MUA.  I have visit with OS on Feb.13.  OS didn't say if he expects full ROM by Feb.13 or what ROM he expects by then in order to avoid MUA.  OS said I need to get full ROM ASAP & I have to get full ROM before I ma allowed to learn to walk again or do any strengthening exercises in PT.  OS didn't say how long he would give me to work on ROM before doing MUA if full ROM not achieved.  Anyways . . . don't know, so all I can do is work as hard as I can at PT and with home exercises.
- After PT, I sat in car while grandmother visited my great-aunt in hospital (grandmother said she would only be a few minutes and she didn't think I should hassle with trying to get in and out of the car again).  Then we went home (I'm still staying with grandmother).  I'm surprised by how tired I am after PT (especially considering I am not very active @ PT and most of the time is spent with PT bending my knee or manipulating my knee cap.  Just getting in and out of car is tiring.
- It amazes me how many things I took for granted before (get up & go whenever I wanted, walking through a store, getting in and out of a car easily, etc).  Now I appreciate the small things much more (esp. those things related to mobility).
- Quads still haven't woken up.
- Lost of muscle twitches in multiple different muscles/locations on leg.  Some twitches are severe.  All are painful.
- After icing knee in evening, I noticed a lump of swelling on lateral side of thigh about halfway up thigh.  Not sure what caused it.  Painful.  I'll keep an eye on it.  If it keeps happening or gets worse, I'll ask OS about it on 2/13/07.

Post-OP Day 12
- Knee not as swollen as it has been , still swollen some but not as much.
- Painful, but not the throbbing sort it had been.  Blood rushes are a little less painful (but worse @ night).
- Pushing myself to stretch/bend knee as far as I can (very painful), feels like there are specific spots that are bruised under knee cap.
- Have strange hard bumps near MPFL incision and at multiple places around and on knee cap.
- Still have lump on later side of thigh (painful) but thigh is more painful further up the muscle on the later side.
- Sat on side of bathtub to wash up and shave tonight.  Didn't bend knee, put weight on it, or do anything else that I'm not supposed to do.  However, by time I was done a few minutes later, my knee hurt badly enought that I felt sick from the pain.  Within 5 minutes, I was sitting down with leg elevated, icing knee.  5-10 minutes later I took another pain pill and ate a little snack (so I wouldn't get sick from meds).  It took about an hour for pain to become more tolerable.
- I'm not sure what is causeing so much pain when I'm following OS instructions, didn't fall or put weight on leg, didn't bend or twist knee, etc.  So I'm not sure how to prevent the pain, because I can't avoid showering, bathing, shaving.  :-\
- Found a comfortable position to sit with leg elevated and then out of the blue a specific spot on my knee cap sharted hurting quite a bit (lower edge lateral side).
- Muscle twitches continue, increasing in frequency
- Sill not sleeping through the night.  Knee wakes me up multiple times each night.  Haven't found comfortable way to sleep (still using 3 pillows to elevate leg) and have to sleep on back (makes shoulders & upper arms hurt).  Occasionally try to sleep on side with pillows under leg (wake up with knee throbbing and arm numb from laying on it).

Offline LighthouseFan

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2007, 04:58:38 AM »
Post-Op Day 13
- Painful, but not as swollen as had been.  Later side of mid thigh is swollen and rather painful though.
- PT this morning.  After PT assistant worked with bending my knee I got to ROM = 78-degrees (painful).  PT said he wanted to be the one to manipulate my knee cap.  I expressed to PT my frustrations/concerns about getting so few degrees of increased ROM this week.  PT said he doesn't feel a hard stop when bending my knee, that it's stiff but it's basically the pain that's preventing further knee bend at this time.  PT expressed this as being a positive thing because ROM can progress over time as I work through pain.  PT then bent knee some more, pushing even harder.  PT said he was trying to get me more degrees of bend so that I could feel better about the numbers.  FInal measurement for today's sessions was ROM = 85-degrees with PT pushing knee (I practically jumped off the table on the verge of tears).  I'm glad to have a PT who will push me because that's how I'm going to make progress through the pain.  However, I don't know how I can deal with it if pain has me on verge of tears at each PT session.  Iced knee before leaving PT. 
- Knee rather painful on way home.  Even though wearing an immobilizer, knee was painful with each bump on the road.
- Iced knee as soon as I got back to grandmother's house.  Wished I could take pain pill, but it hadn't been long enough since I took pain meds before going to PT.  Sat in recliner with knee elevated, trying not to think about how much knee hurt.
- Ate lunch.  TOok more pain meds and waited for meds to kick in.
- 1 1/2 hours lager - knee still hurting - pain especially around MPFL incision and under knee cap.
- Muscle twitches continue and are increasing in frequency & severity - causes leg to jump and/or twist - painful.
- I'm so tired.  I know a side effect of pain meds is that they can make me drowsy, but I don't feel like that's enough to explain how tired I am.  I wake up multiple times through the night due to knee pain.  However, I feel so tired that doesn't seem to account for it completely.
- After bathing, while dryign off, I moved a very slight amount to the side but instead of heel sliding on floor, heel got caught but rest of leg tried to move an inch or so.  DIdn't have immobilizer on since I was still drying off.  Felt something pop  :-\ on lower, lateral side of knee cap, felt strange sensation (pulling with a vibration sort of thing) from location of "pop" across knee cap to medial side of knee cap.  Within 10 minutes I was sitting with knee elevated icing it.  Upper medial side of knee cap began hurting (sharp pain).  Tried resting knee in a slightly different position, elevating knee, icing knee, etc, but none of it helps ease pain.  Can't take pain meds because it's too soon since I took previous dose.  UGH!!!  :'(

Post-Op Day 14
- Knee not as swollen as initally, but still swollen at least 2x's as big as other knee.
- Snowed last night.  Not enough to amount to much of anything, but enough to coat everything and make it a bit slick for walking.  I took it very slow and careful, but was worried that I might fall.  Thankfully, make it everywhere I had to go without incident.
- PT today.  Told PT about something popping/snapping in knee last night.  PT massaged scars and manipulated knee cap.  PT said popping/snapping may just have been scar tissue breaking loose.  PT pushed/bent knee (painful) and got knee to 86-dgrees ROM at which point I was ready to climb off of table due to pain.  I expressed frustration at only gaining 1-degree of ROM today after lots of painful bending/stretching.  PT said that at least it's 1-degree in the right direction and that I didn't loose 1-degree.  I told PT that I thought that the goal he set for me to reach 110-degrees by the end of this week was unrealistic.  PT said to shoot for the mood and you'll land among the stars.  PT revised expectations and said to aim for 90-degrees by Monday's PT and 100-degrees by the end of next week.  PT tried to convince me to come in for PT again tomorrow, but I told him there was no way I could get a ride in.  He told me to work extra hard over the weekend.
- Knee hurt more after PT than it did before PT.  When I got back to grandmother's house, I say with knee elevated while icing it.  Too early to take more pain meds.
- Later in the day, knee more swollen than has been in past few days.  Spots on knee (lateral and medial sides) that hurt during last night's popping/snapping incident are hurting more this afternoon and evening.  I'm hoping it was just scar tissue, but am worried that it may have been something else.
- Even though have been keeping up on pain meds, knee is hurting worse this evening (5 or 6/10).

Offline LighthouseFan

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2007, 02:21:28 AM »
Post-Op Day 15
- Knee is no more swollen than it has been for the last few days, but is definitely more painful than has been the last few days.
- Woke up 3x's overnight due to knee pain.
- Multiple specific spots that are particularly painful including: spots that hurt in popping/snapping incident, upper lateral edge of knee cap, various points along incision, patellar tendon below knee cap, various spots beginning at knee cap and going in a line through incision and continuing to point on medial side of knee at bottom of thigh.
- Frustrated and down today (started crying a few times  :'(, but stopped myself within 2 or 3 minutes).  I wanted to cry a whole lot more but would not let myself.
- Found out short-term disability claim is approved through 2/28/2007, but disability company needs more information from OS to justify why I need to be off work for longer than that (OS has told me to expect to be off work for 3 months after surgery).  The disability company does not understand the reality of the job that I do (working with behaviorally challenging children and children on the autism spectrum).  Person from the disability company stated that OS put on form that it is expected I would need to be off work until April 7, 2007 and disability company does not understand why I would need to be off work for more than 6 weeks.  Guess this will be another point of discussion to bring up to OS at appointment on Feb.13, 2007 and see what can be done about it.  I'm going to have another form that I'll need the OS to fill out after the appointment to explain why OS thinks I need to be off work for that long.  Trying to look on a positive note - at least disability has been approved through the end of this month, so I can pay my bills for another month.
- I really want to get back to work (love my job  :), miss the people  :'(, and am going stir-crazy  :-\).  However, I don't want to risk returning to work too soon and doing damage to knee or injuring something else (due to compensating for op-knee), etc.  I want to follow Dr.'s orders to the letter so that I can have the best/fullest recovery possible.
- I'm going to pray about the situation and try not to worry about it because there is nothing else I can do until I talk to OS on Feb.13 at follow-up appointment (I've already talked to my employer about getting more accurate job info to the disability company and so that is being taken care of).  Other than that, I'm just going to focus on doing what OS and PT tell me to do and on getting well.
- At home stretching exercises are painful but I'm doing them.
- I'm having trouble thinking of positive things today.  Will try to do better in days to come.

Post-Op Day 18 & 19
- Ended up in ER today due to vomiting.  So sick can't even keep down water.  I could deal with being sick, except that I'm so sick I can't keep down any of my meds and my knee urts so bad I want to scream and cry.  Got IV fluids (I was dehydrated), anti-nausea meds thru IV, and pain meds thru IV.  Feel much better after IV fluids and meds.  ER Doc not sure what caused me to get so sick so quickly.  I had spent some time around my nephew a few days ago who had a strain of the neurovirus that people get on cruise ships (however, no one had been on a cruise ship in years).  We thought he was all better and not contagious by the time I was around him (he was up playing like nothing was wrong - he's only 10 months old so hard to know for sure).  Hoping, I didn't catch what he had.  Although my mother expressed concern to ER Doc that my pain meds may have caused me to get sick, ER Doc told me to continue with current meds (he didn't think I got sick from the meds because I had been on them for so long with no problem and sickness came on so suddenly) until I could contact OS office next morning.  ER Doc also gave me script for anti-nausea pills before sending me home.  Came home and slept rest of day and night.  Didn't feel like really sick next day (took anti-nausea pills on schedule like clockwork), but didn't feel like eating much of anything either.  However, made self eat some chicken noodle soup and that stayed down alright.  Called OS office and was told to stop taking Oxycontin and Percocet and start taking 800mg of Ibuprofen.  However, I was told that I could continue to take 1 Percocet before going to PT and before doing home stretches/exercises.

Post-Op Day 20
- PT today was extra painful (may have been due to decreasing pain meds - only allowed to take 1 Percocet before PT).  By end of PT ROM = 87-degrees.  Frustrated about only 1-degree ROM increase since last PT (6 days ago).  PT reminded me that it may have been due to having been almost a week since I had a really good stretch.
- Frustrated and down lately.  Don't feel like doing much of anything except sleep.  :'(

Post-Op Day 21
- Around midnight chest started hurting (whole way around chest at level just below shoulder blades).  Difficulty breathing (hurts really bad to take a deeper breath).  Very painful to lay on back or on either side.  Felt like someone had put a band around my chest and kept tightening it.
- Went to ER around 1:30am.  Bloodwork (felt like a pin cushin due to lots of tests being done and IV started.  To make matters worse - nurse could not get IV started and had to try multiple sites so now I have a fairly good size green bruise on my arm), X-Ray, CT scan.  Lots of tests done to see if I had a blood clot in my lung (due to chest pain and recent surgery).  Thankfully, no blood clot was seen.  ER Doc didn't see anything obvious or acutely wrong.  However, ER Doc said that there are many things that could cause it, but that it could be from using crutches for this length of time.  (I didn't say this to the Dr. but I'm not sure that I believe it's from using the crutches.  I've been on crutches for this long before.  Also, if it's from crutches I would think that my chest would hurt more when using the crutches).  ER Doc gave me IV fluids, pain meds (IV) and anti-nausea meds (IV) at ER.  Sent me home with pain meds script (Vicodin) to take for the chest pain.  I don't want to keep taking pain meds  :(.  I want Dr. to figure out what is going on!  :( ??? :-\ :'(  Hopefully, I won't end up back at the ER anytime in the near future and whatever this is, just goes away.
- Got home around 6:45am.  Slept most of the morning and early afternoon.  Chest continues to hurt, but not nearly as bad as when went to ER very early this morning.  Knee not hurting much today.  Maybe pain sensors were overloaded with the chest pain.

Offline LighthouseFan

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2007, 02:32:31 AM »
Post-Op Day 22
- Hit ROM = 88-degrees at PT today (with PT pushing leg to bed it).  I don't get anywhere near that on my own.  Hoping to hit at least 90-degrees ROM by Monday.  See OS on Tuesday and I know OS won't be happy with that ROM.  However, I'm hoping OS won't be displeased either.  I'm hoping that if I can get to 90-degrees ROM by time I see OS on Tuesday that OS won't tell me that MUA needs to be done.
- PT tried to encourage me by reminding me that it's another degree in the right direction and that once someone gets 90-degrees, gaining ROM seems to go easier after that.  PT gave me another stretch to do at home and encouraged me to work doubly hard over the weekend so that we can get at least 90-degrees on Monday.  I'm really thankful for the PT that I have, as he does push me through some pain but is encouraging and jokes around also.  My mood is definitely not always the greatest, but my PT does try to keep things light.  Strange as it may seem, PT has become the highlight of my day (I guess that's what happens when mobility is limited and one is going stir-crazy).  :P ;)
- However, overall, my mood is in a funk lately.  I'm depressed with this whole situation.  I know part of this is because of how little progress I've made in the last 1 1/2 weeks.  However, I'm not so sure that some of this depression isn't due to all the meds I've been on and it seems like it's gotten worse this week when doctors have stopped or changed a bunch of my meds.  Although depression may be worse this week due to having been sick and being in more pain.  Anyways . . . trying to figure out ways to get out of this mood funk.

Offline LighthouseFan

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2007, 02:46:52 AM »
I have finally caught up to the current day on this post-op diary.   :P  Sorry it took so long for me to do.  I never realized how much I would miss not having internet access (or having it on a very limited basis - about 4 hours one day during a 2 1/2 week time span).  Anyways . . . it is now Post-op day 23.  My mood got a good boost today.  :) I got to leave the house on a shopping trip this morning (I only went in one store because I could ride one of those little carts with a basket instead of trying to walk on crutches the whole time).  I spent most of the morning sitting in the backseat of the car, listening to music while my mom went shopping in various stores around town.  Even though the weather was raw and brutally cold, the change of scenery was wonderful!  :D  I worked really hard doing my home stretches/exercises.  I don't think I hit 90-degrees ROM today, but I worked really hard and keep reminding myself that I still have tomorrow.  I also keep reminding myself that as long as I am doing my best with my stretches that is all I can do/ask of myself. 

I hope that everyone is doing well and having a good knee day!  :)  I now have more consistent internet access, so if anyone would like to chat (either regular postings or private messages) I would love to talk with you.  For now, I'm going to sign off.  My knee is begging for some attention and elevation right now.  I'm off to go look at a new craft book I picked up while shopping today.  :D Take care.

- Heather

Offline doublea21

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2007, 05:47:24 AM »
Glad to hear that your are doing ok after surgery.  Try and stay positive, it is a long road but does get easier.  Just for comparison and I hope your road is less difficult than mine was from the MPFL reconstruction, but I have just finally regained full ROM proving everyone who said that since my leg was at 120 at 3 months that that was probably all I would get out of it.  I am now almost 7 months post op and just regained full ROM within the last week (160).  Also, the last strength test I had my quad was at 80% and hamstring at 94% (even with graft).  I am still working on it and am determined to get it completely back.  Good luck with your recovery.  Hope they figured out what was causing the chest pain or that it is going away now.

Amy
Dec 98 - R and L knee LR and VMO advancement
Dec 00 - L knee TTT
May 02 - R knee TTT and VMO advancement
Dec 04 - R knee screw removal
still too many subluxations and dislocations
July 06 - R knee MPFL Reconstruction

Offline LighthouseFan

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2007, 10:55:51 PM »
Amy -
Thanks for the encouragement!  :)  I am trying to stay positive (which is much easier to do now that I'm not sick anymore and now that the chest pain has significantly decreased) and am working really hard at my home stretches/exercises in the hopes of getting at least 90-degrees ROM tomorrow during PT.  I'm sooooo glad to hear how well you are doing!!  WOW!!  :o  I don't even have 160-degrees ROM with my good leg!  My OS is considering me to have full ROM when it is equal to the ROM on my good leg.  I'm just nervous because my OS had told me that if I did not regain ROM quickly enough, he would do an MUA.  However, OS did not tell me what he would consider quickly enough in order to avoid the MUA.  All OS told me was that he would be happy to see me have full ROM when I go back to see him on Feb.13.  I don't think OS will be happy with 90-degrees ROM (I'm REALLY hoping to have at least that by then  ::)), but I'm hoping that he will be satisfied enough with that not to schedule MUA.  Anyways . . . trying not to worry about that.  I'm working hard at my home exercises and at PT and there's really nothing else I can do about it at this point, so there's no point in worrying about it.  Also . . . about the chest pain, still don't know what caused it, but it only hurts a little bit every so often today.  It seems to be going away (I haven't had to take any pain meds for it at all today).  I wish you well on a complete recovery!  :D  Take care.

Heather

Offline LighthouseFan

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2007, 05:59:27 PM »
Post-Op Day 25

I got 94-degrees ROM at PT this morning.  That is definitely more than I thought that I would get.  MY PT really pushed my leg (hurt so much I tried to get off the table and was on the verge of tears).  I don't get anywhere near that on my own.  I'm hoping that OS will be okay with only having that much ROM when I see him tomorrow.  Really don't want to have an MUA.  ::) :-\  Anyways . . . there isn't much news otherwise.  Knee is more swollen and painful since PT, but that is to be expected I suppose.  I think I'm going to go get something to eat for lunch and then elevate my knee some more. 

Wishing you all a good knee day.  Take care.

Heather

Offline LighthouseFan

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2007, 12:45:12 AM »
Well, I saw my OS on Tuesday (2/13/07) and he seems to be pleased with the way the scar is healing.  However, he told me that I need to massage it more to loosen it up.  He tried to bend my knee, but did not get anywhere near 90-degrees.  I told him that PT got 94-degrees the day before and he told me he believed me.  He's not going to worry about doing an MUA at this point, but said we will discuss the possibility of it when I see him again in 6 weeks if I don't have enough ROM then.  OS also pushed around on my knee cap to prove how stable it is and that it won't dislocate (he pushed around the knee cap on my "good leg" also to show how much looser the knee cap is on my "good leg").  I'm not a fan of having someone play with my knee cap, but it was nice to see how much more stable the knee cap is on op-leg.  OS told me that I've got another 2 weeks of non-weight bearing and can then gradually begin to walk and wean myself off of the crutches.  However, he did tell me that I don't need to wear my immobilizer anymore (although we did discuss the benefits of wearing it when outside on inclement weather days as some "fall protection").  I must admit it feels really strange not to wear the immobilizer and feel some swing/bend in the knee when using the crutches.  I guess it will just take some getting used to  ::) :-\.  OS also gave me another stretch to do at home (lay on stomach with bath towel around ankle.  Pull on towel to bend leg backwards.)  Tried it . . . difficult to do.  First off, my knee is VERY unhappy with me when I try to lay on my stomach.  Second, a bathtowel will not stay looped around my ankle (it slides up leg towards knee first time I try to bend it).  Trying to improvise using a therapy band tied on my foot.  Will have to ask PT tomorrow if he has any ideas for better ways to do this stretch.  Really want to figure out what stretches I can do at home so that I can gain ROM as quickly as possible.  I have 6 weeks to work as hard as I can at PT and with home stretches before I see OS again and try to avoid MUA.  I'm also going to do what I can to go to PT more often since OS said I can start driving soon(going to try for 5 times/week since I have unlimited PT with my health insurance  :)).  I am so frustrated with this knee and not being able to work and participate in other activities I enjoy!  I just want to get this knee rehabbed and back to functioning normally as quickly as possible.  So I am determined to do whatever I can to make that happen (even if it means letting my PT torture me 5 times/week).  Seriously, I do have a nice PT, but he does push me much further than what I can do to myself.  He does what he needs to do to get my knee bending, but he is nice enough to joke around and try to distract me from the pain.  Anyways . . . I need to get going and eat dinner.  I wish everyone well and stay safe.  Take care.

Heather

Offline LighthouseFan

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2007, 10:46:43 PM »
Strange thing happened last night.  One of the arthroscope portal scars got red and broke open (after being completely sealed/healed-over for over 2 weeks).  I'm not sure what caused it and am not sure if it is something to worry about or not ???.  At this point, I'm just going to keep a close eye on it and see if anything changes.  If anyone has any ideas on what may have happened, please let me know.  I'd appreciate any advice you could offer. 

I had PT today and my PT was not sure what caused it to break open.  PT just joked around that he was hoping when he bent my knee that pus did not come squirting out at him.  My PT likes to talk and make jokes to try to keep me distracted while he tortures me   :P ;).  With lots of torturing by the PT (I almost cried and started to black out from pain), I got 97-degrees ROM today.  I think PT set the goal at 110-degrees by the end of next week.  I'm not sure if that's possible  ::), but I'm going to work my hardest to achieve it.  My PT was also able to show me an improvised way to do the new stretch that the OS told me to do at home each day.  (Please see my previous post in this thread for a description of stretch from OS and the difficulties with it.)  The way I will be doing the stretch now is to lay on my side so that my good leg is on the bottom with a pillow between my knees.  I then put the corner of a fitted sheet (the part that has the elastic) over my foot (op-leg) and can then pull on the sheet to bend my knee backwards.  Tried it at PT today and it worked marvelously better than the previous way I had been told to do it.  It definitely hurts to do the stretch, but it is much more doable/practical now.

Anyways . . . I think that's about it for now.  I hope everyone is having a good knee day and has a good weekend.  Take care.

Heather

support