Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Do you know what this might be.... help please  (Read 1609 times)

Offline horse rider

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Do you know what this might be.... help please
« on: January 26, 2007, 10:05:42 PM »
A little back ground on the other knee

A couple years ago I had a total replacement of my LCL and PCL with double bundle donor graphs. My grade lll MCL healed great and had the torn men. cleaned up. ONly drag was the staph infection.. EVERYTHING HAS BEEN AWESOME well sure the arthritis nags but the PCL and LCL are strong and man my riding career is on track.... I consider the whole thing a complete success

NOW THE ISSUE

MY LEFT KNEE never has had any real issues until about 2 months ago I noticed a small but very painful catching sensation on the outside of the knee. It was annoying but no major change to the stability of the knee. Then a couple weeks later I started having some planters heel which I remember from my previous knee injury and I though uh oh. The pain would come and go and only for a couple steps, some days I would hardly notice, now it hits and stops me in my tracks and then I pause and kind of walk and it feels ok... then it will hit again without warning maybe 5 min or right away but sometimes not for 1 hour or more. I must say I am not a baby after going through all the other hell mentioned above but this makes my eyes water and my nose burn from the sheer pain. Range of motion is now being effected and I am freaked OUT. Show season is around the corner and I am praying it is a men. tear but my last on was pain one the inside front to of knee. I do not know what this pain is... Does anyone have any ideas.. Made a appointment but as you know OS can take awhile and in fact it is 2 weeks away. PLEASE help

Offline horse rider

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Do you know what this might be.... help please
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2007, 03:45:01 PM »
SERIOUSLY

NOBODY has any ideas?

:(

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2007, 03:49:31 PM »
You talked about arthritis in beginning of your message..is the catcing in jointline ? If so might be some meniscus tear out of degeneration.
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline plantgeek58

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2007, 04:08:00 PM »
Hi Horserider,
You know that you have menisci on both sides of your knee, right? This might be a tear of the one on the lateral side (the outside of the knee). Catching tends to be a sign of that. I don't know what planter's heel is, so can't relate to that. But meniscus tears tend to bother you when you put pressure on the jointline, like when getting up out of a chair, or pivoting or going up and down stairs. Full extension and full flexion may hurt also, and you may feel swelling at the back of the knee.
Terre
RK 7/04 part. m. menisc., plica resect., MF
    3/05 part. m. menisc., open OATS
    1/07 part l. menisc., MF, patellar chondroplasty
    9/08 MF
LK 11/04 & 8/06 part m. menisc.
     7/07 LR, patellar tendon debrid., part m. menisc.

Offline horse rider

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2007, 07:10:25 PM »
Just got out of surgery yesterday and not meniscus, that looks great

I had some tearing of some cartilage that was catching and very painful

OS now suggest some plugs be put in to hold of arthritis? Some Oats procedure??

The other knee turns out plus will not work on as the massive bone bruise caused the cartilage to peel off in a massive area so knee replacement there some day ;-(

What of this OATS thing, any ideas on the success rate?

HMM JUST FOUND THIS: Is this a painful procedure? COuld not be worse that the LCL and PCL replacment... that was just too much
OATS
OATS stands for 'osteochondral autograft transfer system,' and the technique is very similar to mosaicplasty. In the OATS procedure the plugs are usually larger, and therefore only one or two plugs are needed to fill the area of cartilage damage. Because of this it does not take on the mosaic appearance, but the principle is the same.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2007, 07:13:24 PM by horse rider »

Offline plantgeek58

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2007, 07:29:34 PM »
Hi Horserider,
I had OATS on my right knee 2 years ago, to correct a hole in my femoral cartilage. It was very successful for me, whereas a prior microfracture didn't work. I recently had another surgery on that knee for some other problems, and my OS said the OATs cartilage is the best-looking cartilage in my entire knee. It isn't an easy recovery, though, and it is quite painful, though not as much as a TKR, from everything I've heard. The incision is usually about 5 or 6 inches long, right down the center of your knee. That makes it really painful to lift the leg, at least for the first month. My quads just shut down and refused to even fire. After that, it gets easier. Each OS is different as far as how long they require you to be NWB, but mine prefers 4 weeks, then 1 week PWB. I had to do PT for about 4 months after, twice a week. It was a lot of hard work, but worth it for the relief of pain.
Terre
    9/08 MF

Offline horse rider

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2007, 12:22:37 AM »
PLantgeek

Thanks so much for the info
It will have to wait until december as show seasons is here an I am so busy, it was all I could do to take 3-6 days off for this. Thank God I saved my donjoy ice machine as it is a miracle machine.

My last major surgery (LCL and PCL) replacement had to 6-8 inch long scars. One down the side and one right up the back of my leg not to mention the various drains and hole for other tools.

MY OS said 3 weeks at least maybe 4. Did they use you own stuff or was it cadaver??
So your saying the painful part is the large incisions?

Offline plantgeek58

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2007, 02:43:14 AM »
Hi Horserider,
I had an autograft, taken from my superolateral femoral condyle. The incision wasn't the only painful thing, unfortunately. I could feel a burning sensation in the area where they harvested the graft, and the graft itself hurt quite a lot. The first three days were the worst, then it got more bearable. But the incision site was tender for a much longer time. Since it's right down the center of the knee, it can really hurt to bend, but you have to push through the pain to keep it stretched out and maintain your ROM. As I said, it's a tough rehab, but usually has good results.
My OS told me 3-4 weeks, also, but I know now that, whenever he says that, he's going to make me go the full 4 weeks. It's best to be a little conservative, and give the graft as much time as possible to heal without pressure.
Terre
    9/08 MF