Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Update on my Patella Dislocation  (Read 808 times)

Offline salcraw

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Update on my Patella Dislocation
« on: January 25, 2007, 11:05:04 PM »
Hi All

Just a brief note (this time) to let you know I saw my OS on Wed and we have decided that surgery is the only option left to me. I must admit, it's all a little terrifying, but after reading what everyone else has been through, I'm sure it will be fine.

I'm scheduled for 27th Feb and am having a "Patella Stabilisation" done. My OS is going to make three small incisions and take a piece of my hammy to basically replace the medial retinaculum (which is mush) and re-stablise the patella. He is going to attach at the tib, then onto the patella and back on to the base of the femur (when I look down at my knee, the general pattern is like an upside down and backwards 7). He explained it well and I asked a gazillion questions. He's also going to do an arthroscope while in there, to clean it all up. I am looking at 18 weeks total recupe time. The first two weeks off work and on crutches with a splint. Then I should be able to get around home and the office without the crutches. By 6 weeks I am supposed to be splint and crutch free. By 12 weeks I should be able to get back into some light jogging and by 18 weeks, fully recovered and able to get back onto the sand and start giving those volleyballs a bit of a whack, and start working on my next softball umpiring level. Woohoo, some light at the end of the tunnel. :D

Has anyone has this sort of procedure done and how long was the recupe time? What sort of rehab did you do and what's the best course of action to take after the surgery?

Some guidance from ppl who have been through it all, would be helpful.

Thanks

Sal