Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Should I go to the Dr?  (Read 1133 times)

Offline spidy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Should I go to the Dr?
« on: January 24, 2007, 03:34:38 PM »
Hello all.... this may seem like a silly question, but I hate going to the Dr, so if I don't need to I won't.  I was roller skating last night when one set of my wheels got caught on the other and I fell, but immediately felt something really wrong.  Upon getting up, I wasn't in great pain, but noticed I couldn't bend my knee hardly at all.  I sat out the rest of the night with ice, but my knee never started hurting as if I'd bruised it.

It's a little swollen, but nothing major, no discoloration, but I still can't bend it.  When I do push it to bend it there is a major pressure/odd feeling at the outside kinda in the lower middle of my knee cap (sorry I don't know the terminology).  I can stand up straight just fine without pain.

So my thinking is, as long as it doesn't look like there is obviously something wrong, and it's not painful all the time, no need to see a Dr.  But then I get worried with the feeling I get when I try to bend it... so will it go away?  Or could I have torn or displaced something with "minimal" pain?

Thanks!

Spidy

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
Re: Should I go to the Dr?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2007, 03:42:55 PM »
Spidy, can't you bend at all ? If so go check that out.
Even if you haven't pain there is something going on if you don't have much swelling but though can't bend the knee.
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline spidy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2007, 04:03:55 PM »
I would say it will bend about 45 degrees before I feel a lot of pressure, definitely can't get it to 90 or all the way back... so as long as it's not "locked" I should be OK to wait & see?

Hop skip n jump

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2007, 04:46:21 PM »
Spidy

Something is up with your knee, don't hesitate and hope it will go away, go and see an expert. You'll thank yourself for it in the long run. Even if they say nothing is really wrong you haven't lost anything. You only get one body, take care of it. Lecture over - sorry!  ;)

Good luck and let us know how you get on!

Hop

Offline Ronxski

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2007, 05:11:51 PM »
Spidy, by all means get in to the Dr. and see what's going on. It might not be too bad but no use making something worse.

Hope every one understands what I am going to say here. This is one of those rare moments where I would say IF you are scared about going to an Orthopedic . You could try a Chiropractor first. They most likely would X ray it first. Could be something is just out of place? 
If you go , make sure they explain everything to you before you let them adjust you.  Ron
partial meniscus removal, posterior horn of medial meniscus tear,horizontal cleavage type. Dec. O4
Age 56
back to cross country skiing and biking.

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2007, 05:23:04 PM »
GO to the doctors.. just cause your knee doesnt' look messed up, doesn't mean it isn't.  You may have just sprained something.. but you could have done something else... and it's best to get advice sooner rather than later in that sort of situation.

GOODLUCK.. and just remember, Doctors are just people.. ;)  I don't like them either but they are a necessary evil. ;)

1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?

Offline spidy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2007, 05:27:28 PM »
Thanks everyon for the opinions... I think I will go to the Dr, have heard some stories around the office about people thinking nothing was wrong and then having to have surgery later (or in one weird case and amputation), so I guess the worst that I'm in for is out some $$. 

This board is awesome, never been to one with so many active contributors!

Offline 24fan

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2007, 09:35:11 PM »
I would go and get it checked out, if you cant really bend it then it sounds like a pretty nasty injury. See what the doctor says and then take the right COA.

Hopefully everything will get sorted out

Hop skip n jump

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2007, 02:24:09 PM »
Hi Spidy
Good for you for plucking up the courage to go. Good luck to you.

Happy Days

Hop ;D

support