Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Bruising and pain after tourniquet.  (Read 3894 times)

Offline JRH

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Bruising and pain after tourniquet.
« on: January 25, 2007, 01:53:19 PM »
I had Arthoscopic surgery done on my right knee 16 days ago, when they got inside they did a 2 inch cut on the inside so that they could move my kneecap over 1/4 inch.  I was in surgery for about an hour and a half.  The bruising from the tourniquet is just now going away and now my skin (on my right thigh) feels like it is on fire.  Is this normal? Anyone, Please?  My Doctor wont answer my questions and the only way I found out about the tourniquet was by searching online.  I have made an appointment with another doctor but it not for several days yet.  Should they have sent me to Physical Therapy?  Is it normal for my leg to be so stiff?  I can barely bend it and there is a very painful pulling sensation on both sides and on the top of my thiegh when I try.  Is this normal?  Sorry - I am starting to freak out, I am afraid I will be paralyzed or something worse than what I had the surgery for.

redtoblack

Re: Bruising and pain after tourniquet.
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2007, 02:09:22 PM »
JRH-

I had surgery at the end of November and I still have pain and a lot of tightness in my knee.  I also have the feeling like there are rubber bands in my knee that if I bend it very much they are going to snap.  I'm not saying that you shouldn't get it checked out or that there isn't something going on in there, but you are only 16 days out.  As far as PT goes, I would ask your OS about it.  I wish I would have had PT in the first month.  All I have done is at home PT. 

I hope you start feeling better very soon.  Also, since you have a few days until your appointment, make a list of all your concerns.  That way you can be sure to ask all the questions you have, and maybe make your OS slow down a bit and listen.

Jordan

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
Re: Bruising and pain after tourniquet.
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2007, 05:32:06 PM »
Tourniquets can do that... I always bruise from them... unfortunately it's about the only way they can perform some surgeries as they need to be able to see what they are doing. It sounds like you had a Lateral Release done. Your knee will be stiff, put it through gentle range of motion as much as possible without over doing it.  You should have some physio as the recovery from this sort of surgery depends mostly on the rehab.. not the surgery itself.

Maybe it's a good thing you're going to see another doc.

GOODLUCK
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?

support