Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: OATS in PATELLO FEMORAL, will I run again?  (Read 8087 times)

S_501

Re: OATS in PATELLO FEMORAL, will I run again?
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2007, 05:41:19 AM »
Hey,
here's the link to that doc in Boston...
http://www.cartilagerepaircenter.org/

Don't despair. Like I said I don't know about him from my experience but I heard his name on this site a few times.
Let me know.

S501

Offline LadeeStingray

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2007, 03:53:20 PM »
Hey,

Yes Dr Minas is who they are sending me to.  Hopefully within a few weeks i will find out when my appointment will be. 

Take Care

Ladee
10/05 Rt medial meniscal tear repair 1/06 synvisc injections
3/06 cortisone injection   6/06 open OATs MFC
9/06 drained/cortisone  11/06 biopsy for ACI surgery
6/07 scoped again....failed OBI plugs
awaiting approval for HemiCAP

Offline djs60

• Regular Poster
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2007, 11:07:18 PM »
Ladee,

I am seeing Dr. Minas for my issues, which are similar to yours.

I am very impressed with him.  He did, by the way, tell me he thought I could return to running assuming I do well.

I'm sorry to have to tell you that I waited 8 months to see him.  But maybe you will do better if you are being referred by someone he knows.

djs60
3/06 left knee arthroscopy - grade IV lateral trochlea defect
chondroplasy & removal of loose bodies
1/07 left knee arthroscopy/cartilage biopsy
4/27/07 left knee trochlea & patella ACI with TTO

S_501

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2007, 11:56:45 PM »
Ladee,
good luck to you!!! when are you going?

Djs60,
I'd like to know what dr Minas tells you too....!
My grade under the patella is as bad as the trochlear (bone against bone, 2 patches I'm guessing size of a nickel, but I DON'T KNOW). But hearing that about you gives more and more hope. I guess you sound in better shape than me although I don't have any other problems in other cmprtmts.
Take care.
S501

Offline djs60

• Regular Poster
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2007, 02:28:32 AM »
S501,

My cartilage harvest arthroscopy was 3 weeks ago today.  When I saw Dr. Minas in followup, he told me I had grade IV lateral trochlear damage (I think about 2 cm x 2 cm, but also an adjacent area of grade III change that will need to be debrided & grafted).  He called my patellar changes grade II, but said that he might graft that if he got in there and thought it was worse.  The nasty surprise was that he found a "crack" in the cartilage on the lateral femoral condyle, which will also need repair.  When I had my first arthroscopy in 3/06, this was not seen.

as it happens, I got a letter from my insurance co today notifying me that they had approved the surgery, so I will give Dr. Minas' office a call on Monday to see if I can get it scheduled.  Most likely late April, as this works best for me with work, etc.

djs60
3/06 left knee arthroscopy - grade IV lateral trochlea defect
chondroplasy & removal of loose bodies
1/07 left knee arthroscopy/cartilage biopsy
4/27/07 left knee trochlea & patella ACI with TTO

S_501

« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2007, 03:14:33 AM »
I appreciate your reply, Djs60.
Wish you all the bst with yor upcoming op, please post after that, I'd like to know how it'll go.
You're kinda lucky about your patella because with the malalignmnent it could've easily gone IV as well!

You know, I also have been trying to understand ACI vs allograft. I was told on this site that ACI is best to patch up larger areas, but I wonder if you've heard discussions in regards to that.
That crack in the lat condyle is a nasty surprise. Is it WB? and how big?

You're so lucky you're able to  speed up thru your ops. I've an initial scope in Apr 06 (injury was Nov 05) and now, after 3 months on the waiting list, I'll probably go on to the next April for the allograft op.
More that one year between everything.....sometimes I feel like I'm losing my mind.

Thanks man.

Offline LadeeStingray

• Regular Poster
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2007, 04:38:29 AM »
Hey Djs,

Nice to hear of someone else seeing the same doctor.  I'm sure ill have a wait in front of me, but I'm hopin since ive already had the biopsy, the cells are grown, and he has been consulting with my case already that i can get in in a couple of months.  But with my luck it will be a while.  Please keep me posted on your surgery as well as your recovery/rehab. Will be nice to get a heads up from someone that is walking in the very same shoes

thanks

Ladee
10/05 Rt medial meniscal tear repair 1/06 synvisc injections
3/06 cortisone injection   6/06 open OATs MFC
9/06 drained/cortisone  11/06 biopsy for ACI surgery
6/07 scoped again....failed OBI plugs
awaiting approval for HemiCAP

Offline Stacye

• Regular Poster
  • a
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2007, 03:56:39 PM »
Hi they told me I also need this procedure in both knees Im so bad after my lateral relase 3 months ago I can barely walk with a walker. I have an appointment with Dr Bugbee in about 2 weeks. Is he good do you think??

S_501

« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2007, 07:11:49 AM »
Stacye,
Bugbee is my doc too. I'm on a waiting list for my defects (see my signature). I'm told he's like THE allograft guy.
I researched him a lot and if you go back on this section of the site and read previous threads about OATS you will find stories of other people who had him do this op. They all seem to be pretty satisfied with the results.
He'll tell you how things are, that's for sure and he's not going to candy-coat it.
The waiting list for the allograft will test your nerves though. It's max 6 months to find the knee that will match your size, and I personally have waited a full 4 already at the end of Feb.

I reckon you already know about Care S. I was thinking about asking Bugbee about that before going in for my op.

Please let me know what he tells you too......
Also, are you a runner too?

Saida

Offline Stacye

• Regular Poster
  • a
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2007, 12:06:57 AM »
Hi Dont knwo if your saw my other reply but Bugbee said he does not think I am a canidate for his surgires and is sending me to Mandelbaum next week. My legs are maligned and he thinks that is an issue more then the pain on why I cant stand up straight.  Do you live in the LA area??

Offline 98XGamesGold

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2007, 10:46:14 PM »
I live in Boulder, CO where there are plenty of intense aerobic athletes.  One of my buddies, who is a top amateur triathlete, had OATS on his medial femoral condyle about 5 years ago, when he was in his late 20's.  For the last several years he has competed in ironman distance triathlons, and regularly does 18 mile training runs. So, if things go well you definitely should be able to run after OATS.  Lots of bicycling is probably the key to a better, faster recovery. My buddy was doing 350 - 400 miles/week on the bike during the first year after his surgery.

S_501

« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2007, 12:57:38 AM »
YAYYYY!!!!! ;D
Thanks man.

Saida

Offline Yuke

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2007, 05:48:41 AM »
Hello,

Just thought I'd jump in here and mention my surgery. OATS (autograft) patella to repair a 6mm defect. I'm seven weeks post op. I was weight-bearing immediately after surgery with a knee wrap that locked my knee so I couldn't bend past 15 degrees. Week three the wrap was removed and I began three weeks of mobility exercises and using a pedal exercise bike. Week 6, I began muscle exercises. I still don't weight bear in a bent knee position. I began using one crutch in Week 7.