Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Possible problems that can occur at the donor site in an Autograft???  (Read 2413 times)

Offline Cinammo

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Was wondering if any of you knew the problems that can occur when a plug is taken from another part of your knee.  My son is having a lot of problems.  He's seeing the NP today and having an MRI but I want to know what you all think could be going on?
My 17 year old son had the OATS procedure on November 29th, 2006.  He has two previous scopes on the right knee and one on the left.

Offline Beauzer

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • I want to become the person my dog thinks I am
Well, autograft OATS is kind of like robbing Peter to pay Paul.  The donor site is chosen because it is not weight-bearing and so lack of cartilage there is supposed to be less of a problem.

That being said, though, you basically create an area of arthritis (no cartilage left) in order to fill in the other defect. 

Due to that, you can get pain, catching, etc. at the donor site.  My biggest post-OATS complaint is actually my donor site.  I have trouble walking up and down stairs now and I get painful popping over the donor site from time to time.  Overall though, it's much better than before the OATS.
32 - R knee gone to hell
lat. meniscus 94
ACL, chondroplasty 98
Chondroplasty 99
Screw fell out into joint, med. meniscus, microfracture 99
MCL/med. capsule recon, med. meniscus 00
Chondroplasty 04
Chrondroplasty 1/05
OATS 4/05 for OCD lesion
AVN, MFC fracture 10/05

Offline Cinammo

• Regular Poster
My son says the pain is worse than before the OATS.  Is there anything they can do or is that what you are left with?
My 17 year old son had the OATS procedure on November 29th, 2006.  He has two previous scopes on the right knee and one on the left.

Offline Yuke

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
I think you can only wait until after the MRI to know for sure. How many weeks post-op is he? The worst case scenerio is that there is morbity at the donor site i.e. the graft or microfracture didn't take there.

Offline Cinammo

• Regular Poster
He's 7 months post op.  I guess we'll know more today when he gets the results from the doc

Offline Cinammo

• Regular Poster
They found metal shavings in the knee from where cole did the surgery!!!!!!!!!!!!!  how can this happen?????????

support