Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Bi-lateral anthroscopy & possible LR tomorrow!  (Read 7877 times)

Offline Giglan

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Bi-lateral anthroscopy & possible LR tomorrow!
« on: January 22, 2007, 10:30:05 PM »
Well, I now have my second date for surgery after first was cancelled - and this one sounds pretty definite! :-\

I'm having my pre-op on Tuesday 30th Jan, and then actual the op on Friday 9th Feb!!!

Strange mixture of feelings - feel pleased and even slightly excited that it's finally getting done. Have been in a lot of pain the last 2 weeks so it's come at a good time! I also feel very scared and nervous, have never had an anesthetic (well, did as a young child but i can't remember it!) and am also worrying about the lack of being able to move about afterwards!

I'm definetly having a bi-lateral anthroscopy, but may also be facing a LR on my right knee as that one is slowly falling apart! If anyone has any experience of this and can offer some advice I'd be very grateful!

I'm concerned about getting both done at the same time and how this is going to effect my movements after. It's strange, I've suddenly realised how much we take our bodies for granted. I've been out and about doing things the last couple of days, and then have suddenly realised, 'I won't be able to do this, crikey!'.

My swimming training is going to take a bit of a knock too, but it's the general moving about I'm concerned about - and domestic issues such as the loo! It's amazing how many times you bend your knees without thinking about it!

Anyway, any help and advice I'd appreciate it! :)

Giglan x
« Last Edit: February 08, 2007, 02:22:13 PM by Giglan »
Bi-lateral anthroscopy on 09.03.07 - severe damage to both knees.
Diagnosed with Osteo-arthritis in January '08 - advanced in right knee and beginning to spread to hip.

Offline n_mcard;e

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Hi Giglan,

I had a right knee LR & arthroscopy last week. I read many of the other experiences on here & mine was nothing like theres at all! For starters I've had no crutches, no ice pack & no pain killers! My knee swelled loads but went down of its own accord very rapidly. I've had no real pain, just a lot of stiff ness & only 6 days post op I can straighten my knee & pretty much flex it at 90 degrees. On my first day stairs were a nightmare, but after this initial problem I've been fine. The best advice I can give you post op is to not push yourself, & just do what your body seems comfortable with.

As for general anaesthetic, I was rather worried about this too! But I was fine with it, it happens so quickly :) I had no sickness after & was pretty ok other than a really low blood pressure.

I'm not a veteran on these procedures, there are loads of people on here who have been through some extensive knee surgery so know a lot about what they talk about. But I have had it done very recently so can only share my own experience with you!

Any questions feel free to ask :)

Good luck

Nat x
Athroscopy & right knee lateral release - Jan '07

Offline Giglan

• Regular Poster
Thanks Nat!

Nice to hear someone has had a good experience!  :)

My main worry is about moving about when both legs are sore, and how I'm going to manage with everyday tasks. Especailly as when at 2 weeks post op, both my parents and boyfriend are away for a week so will have to defend by myself! Not sure how that's going to go but there's nothing I can do about it.  :(

Not so worried about the pain, used to that by now! I'm lso ooking forward to getting it done and then hopefully that'll be all sorted. I know it's too probably early to tell yet, but does your knee feel any better yet, can you feel the benefits of the op yet?

Giglan x
Diagnosed with Osteo-arthritis in January '08 - advanced in right knee and beginning to spread to hip.

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
Just some tips and hints... for your upcoming surgery. Make sure you have premade food cause you won't feel like making stuff, and stuff you can get easily.. hot soup probably not the best bet. I made sandwiches and put them in plastic containers so I could throw them to where I was going.. bottled water and juice also good plan. Hopefully you will have someone with you for the first day or so until you get acustomed to being.. a little slower to do things. Just the scope , if they do nothing should'nt be too bad, Your knee will be stiff from being a bit puffy cause they put lot's of saline solution into your knee to make it easier to move around in there... and it will also swell i'm sure. but it shouldn't be too painful. I had a scope and they did a bit of a clean up in there when I was 17 and it was a piece of cake.. relatively speaking. I walked out of the hospital and was back to school in two days walking up and down stairs etc... albeit a bit slower than usual. A Backpack is always useful... for carrying things when/if you are on crutches... cause you don't have hands to use. Get lot's of ice packs on hand.. frozen vegis work great as well, and are cheap.. but don't eat them ;) after you've thawed and refrozen them... A Cold therapy unit is even better.. but can be pricey.
Make sure you can have everything you need, handy, phone, washroom... stuff to read/do... atleast for the first couple of days because you won't feel like getting up. Anesthetic is not bad, but alot of people take a couple of days to wake up from it completely. You'll generally feel tired and lazy... and remember just because you were asleep doesn't mean your body didn't go through something.. it takes alot of energy for your body to heal. Try to eat healthy before and after surgery, lot's of fresh vegis and fruit as well as lot's of protein. :) AND keep hydrated. :)

I had LR on both my knees, the right was a nightmare with complications... caused by some genetic issues.. but the left went pretty well. I was sick after from the anesthetic but it didn't last too long. Just remember to keep it rested ice and elevated. But you will want to do ankle pumps *** moving your foot around to keep the circulation going*** while you are sittting to keep things moving along.

GOODLUCK.. hope that helped.

Linney
« Last Edit: January 24, 2007, 12:26:50 PM by Linds »
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?

Offline n_mcard;e

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Thanks Nat!

Nice to hear someone has had a good experience! :)

My main worry is about moving about when both legs are sore, and how I'm going to manage with everyday tasks. Especailly as when at 2 weeks post op, both my parents and boyfriend are away for a week so will have to defend by myself! Not sure how that's going to go but there's nothing I can do about it. :(

Not so worried about the pain, used to that by now! I'm lso ooking forward to getting it done and then hopefully that'll be all sorted. I know it's too probably early to tell yet, but does your knee feel any better yet, can you feel the benefits of the op yet?

Giglan x

Unfortunately I can't feel any benefits from the LR yet, but I'm not expecting to feel any difference this soon to be honest. The one tip I must give you is not to overdo it. I felt pretty fine so had been walking about a lot, but yesterday my knee swelled up to massive proportions which clearly demonstrated that I'd been pushing myself too hard! I agree with Linds about the whole food thing, the last thing you wanna be doing when you're all stiff & sore is running round making food!!

Again, keep us posted :)

Offline Giglan

• Regular Poster
Thanks Linds and Nat, some really helpful hints there!  :D

Infact I've printed them off to remind me! It probably won't be too bad at first as will be staying with my Mum and Dad, and they'll pamper me! It'll be when they go on holiday and my boyfriend goes away for a week that the problems may start!  ???

I might make up a load of meals and then freeze them, so I'll only have to stick them in the microwave and I can spend all day choosing which one to have when boredom really kicks in!

I've been told to expect at least 6-8 weeks off work, do you think this is a true estimate? My work is Paediatric Speech therapy, so it can be physical demanding sometimes and there's a lot of driving about between hospitals and patients. I also swim in a team and am hoping to get back in the pool after about 2 weeks???? Only for a light swim, no miles! What do you think?

I know you've said to take it easy, but I'm not very good at that sort of thing! I have such a busy life between training, a kids club, work and my love life! I usually out most evenings, and I'm not sure how I'm goign to cope with this change in routine! I'm sort of looking forward to the rest, but know the novelty is soon going to wear off!

Hope you are following your own advice though Nat and you are taking it easy!  ;)

Thanks Guys

Giglan xx

Offline kimmyxs

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
I wish I could tell you how to handle two legs.   My LR was done in combination with hardware removal from a broken patella and a mensicus repair.  My exeprience hasn't been bad at all other than I am in a brace.  I understand that most people with an LR done are almost all weight bearing and have movement. 

Don't worry about the surgery.  Just follow the doctors instructions and you should be fine.  I was really groggy afterward, but that was it.  I have never been neausous at all.  Ice, iice, ice.

I was orgiinally told I would be out of work for 1 to two weeks, but I found out at my first post-op visiit yesterday that it would be at least 3.  Darn it all!
6/03/89 - First Knee Cap Disclocation
7/05/89 - Returned to work
6/17/06 - Tramatic Knee Cap Dislocation and Vertical Fractured Patella
6/28/06 - ORIF - Screws - no wires
8/24/06 - Ditched the brace - start PT
9/20/06 - First spinning
1/15/07 - screw removal, LR , VMO Advanc  & patella cleanupl

Offline itigo

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
Hiya Giglan

Not been on for ages due to work stresses etc. Hope you get your knees done next week and GOOD LUCK! My recovery is progressing well and I have only had one episode of things feeling unstable and subluxing and I blame the M in Law's visit for tensing me up!!! Hee hee. Still a bit swollen round LR site but other than that feels so much better. Kneeling tentatively. Squats REALLY hurt, even littlies but that's the damage on my kneecap.

Two weeks in you should start to feel a little more confident. I just kept everything to hand as much as possible.

Let us know how it goes and I'll make sure I look out for you!

Itigo xx

1990 dislocated LK in hockey
1990 arthroscopy - debridement, cartilage removal
05 LK unstable and painful
May 06 dx tilting kneecaps
Nov 06 arthroscopy and open LR
Oct 07 debridement arthroscopy
Sept 09 - May 13 subluxing frequently
May 13 TTT and MPFL reconstruction

Offline Giglan

• Regular Poster
Re: Second date for bi-lateral anthroscopy & possible LR next Friday!!
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2007, 10:34:36 AM »
Hi Itigo!

Great to hear from you! Glad to hear your recovery is going well - sorry to hear about the mother-in-law! ;)

I had my pre-op on Tuesday, so all set to go ahead next Friday! GULP! :-\

Should all go ahead now as I've now been transferred to a private hospital with the NHS picking up the tab - great! It's very posh! Have my own room and bathroom, feels more like a hotel! Looks like I may have to stay the night now though, due to medical complications from previous issues - had a blood clot on my lung 5 years ago, so they're going to give my anti clotting drugs to stop it happening again, which may mean I have to stay for observation - although this place is so nice I'm not that bothered! Plus it's all on one floor, I'll have steps and stairs to tackle if I go home!

I was actually feeling quite calm up until the pre-op. My friends were surprised about how relaxed I was about the whole thing, and to be truthful I was also feeling a little excited about finally getting it done. ALL CHANGED NOW!! SInce that appointment the nerves have really kicked in! It all feels very real now, and with the added medical complications (also have a liver complaiont which may effect my reaction to anesthetic - great! My body is falling apart!) my mind has gone on over time! I'm beginning to feel really scared and will admit to not sleeping that well the last couple of nights. I'll be sooo glad to get it done, but am terrified! :P

I have my last couple of training sessions at the pool this week, don't know what I'm going to do without being able to go swimming. Hopefully once the stiches are out I'll be able to go for a light swim, but nothing like what I normally do. I'm worrying that my weight will shoot up too. I've laid down the law about nobody buying my chocolates while I'm off!

Anyway, I've ranted enough for now! Catch up with you soon xx
« Last Edit: February 01, 2007, 10:36:24 AM by Giglan »

Offline Giglan

• Regular Poster
Re: 4 days till bi-lateral anthroscopy & possible LR!!
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2007, 11:27:37 AM »
Hi Guys!

Well, only 4 more days to go!  :-\

Excited, but also just a little scared! Keep reminding myself that this will be the end of all my problems, and although it's going to be tough straight afterwards, this op is going to solve all the pain and discomfort!? I really hope so!

Went for a long stroll with my boyfriend on the weekend to celebrate my last 'walkable' weekend for a while. Paid for it afterwards, but it was nice to strech the legs!! Although it was painful, I kept thinking; "next time I do this it'll all be better and there won't be any pain!" I'm so looking forward to that!

Think I have everything ready now, books, ice packs, freezer full of frozen home-made meals for ease! Just got to get through Friday now! I'm trying not to think about the anesthetic, but it is playing on my mind a little!

Any last minute advice would be great!

Thanks, Giglan x

Offline Kaputbutback

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2007, 01:05:24 PM »
Just had my left knee accl recon 3 weeks ago. Really pleased that i did in many ways.

The knee had locked in June after constant instability and it transpired then that the acl had gone altogether sometime before. There is no way I could have carried on with that kind of instability.

The rehab will be long and frustrating at times, if my right knee acl recon was anything to go by, but at the end of it you can get back on with doing most of the things you want.

I did buy an aircast cryo cuff (make sure you get the correct size, some companies try to claim one size fits all!) in order to get the swelling down. This was a fantastic buy.

The op went really well for me and does seem to go well for so many. It is such a "popular" injury now that there are some really good surgeons available.

Good luck with it all. Oh and get a good physio.
12/91 Meniscus R knee (rugby)
02/92 ACL complete rupture R knee (rugby)
03/92 - arthroscopy
05/92 - further meniscus damage & arthroscope (squash)
06/94 ACL Recon R knee
05/96 - screw removed
05/05 ACL rupture L knee (Harley bike)
05/06 - L knee lock & arthroscopy
01/07 - ACL Recon L Knee

Offline Giglan

• Regular Poster
Re: 4 days till bi-lateral anthroscopy & possible LR!!
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2007, 02:01:06 PM »
Hi Kaputbutback!

Ok, bear with me! I'm very new to this whole knee jargon thing, and I not quite sure what you mean?!?  :-\

Have you just had done what I'm having done, or is that something different!?!?! Did you have both knees done? The immobility of getting both done at the same time is a slight worry!

What does ACL stand for?

I had physio on both knees for a year, before finally agreeing that maybe surgery was the only way forward as it hadn't made any difference, in fact it had got worse! I've been waiting 2 years since then for this op.

What is an aircast cuff and where can i get one from?! I've bought some flexible ice packs that I can put around my knees - I think they were designed for wine bottles, but they'll do the trick!  :)

Glad you op went well. I've changed surgeons due to the change in hospitals, but he has a very good reputation.  :D I won't have much choice about the physio, it'll be a lucky dip into the NHS trust!

Thanks for your advice  :)

Offline n_mcard;e

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2007, 02:06:40 PM »
Hey Giglan,

Good news thats you've got a date set & soon too!

Well its been nearly 3 weeks now since my LR. I'm back at work, started back last week actually after my final appointment with my OS. the OS said I've healed beautifully, although I've had a lot more bruising that he would have expected. But that was probably cos I had the blood thinning injection beforehand. No physio is required, I'm doing my exercises and I said that I don't feel like physio is necessary. Swelling still hasn't gone down totally, but he said that could take another 4 weeks really. My leg is heaps more mobile already and stairs are no longer a hassle! I get cramp feelings quite a lot in my knee, but other than that I'm doing really well. At first work was pretty exhaustiing as I was still sore, but my limp has all but vanished now & things are on the up!

God luck with your surgery, I hope you get the results you're hoping for

nat x

Offline Giglan

• Regular Poster
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2007, 03:45:16 PM »
Thank you!  :)

Crikey, you were back at work quick! I've been told to expect 6-8 weeks off work!

Might be longer because I'm having both done, and I also have quite a physically demanding job that involves driving about a lot.

I've also been told that I'll be having intensive physio afterwards for the first couple of weeks, and then lighter physio would continue for quite a while afterwards.

That's interesting what you said about the bruising - I have to have anti blood-clotting medication before the op, so am I going to look a bit bruised too?

Glad you're feeling the benefits of it already, fingers crossed mine will be this sucessful too!

Giglan x

Offline Kaputbutback

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2007, 12:10:26 PM »
I have had both knees done but not at the same time. Having said that the old bad knee has been feeling the strain over the past couple of weeks - particularly stairs.

An ACL is the anterior cruciate ligament which is one of the cross over ligaments in the knee - one that is crucial to knee stability.
What does ACL stand for?

I was kind of forced down the route of physio treatment for the left knee. I knew it wasn't good but was told that the NHS trust policy is based on a triage service. I didn't get referred on and instead had a rather inept physio twisting at my knee. I paid to see a surgeon when the knee locked after months of physio with no improvement. The surgeon was amazed that I had not been referred on and then put me onto lists for an arthroscopy and then after that the much needed ACL recon (turned out the ACL had gone altogether).

The aircast cuff is about 100 so is not cheap but if you think about the long run and the amount you could spend on ice packs over the 6 months of rehab then it seems more reasonable. You keep the cuff on your knee pretty much all the time apart from when exercising or walking around and it just keeps the swelling right down. Once you start to exercise more and stay up on your feet more you will get swelling so back out it comes. The ice stays in an insulated tub which you connect to the cuff to exchange iced water for the warmed water. Best of all the ice stays in there for about 8 hours (I got it to 10hrs).

If you look at physiosupplies(.com?) they show the product details and sizes. Do not use physioroom - had a bad expereince with them and still waiting for them to rectify the problem - they claim one size of cuff fits all - you need to measure your knee but physiosupplies show how. I found the cryo cuff better than the bag of peas since you don't get the condensation or the melting thing.

Which NHS trust are you with? I have been lucky to get hooked up one of the leading ACL surgeons in Europe. Th ephysio thing is as important in many respects - the first question they shoudl ask afterwards is about your goals. Make sure you talk about getting back to sport and a generally active life. Other than that check out local leisure centres / gyms for decent well maintained equipment (bikes, eliptical walkers, steppers etc for the later stages of rehab) to help you continue progress away from physio sessions.
12/91 Meniscus R knee (rugby)
02/92 ACL complete rupture R knee (rugby)
03/92 - arthroscopy
05/92 - further meniscus damage & arthroscope (squash)
06/94 ACL Recon R knee
05/96 - screw removed
05/05 ACL rupture L knee (Harley bike)
05/06 - L knee lock & arthroscopy
01/07 - ACL Recon L Knee