Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: TKR Diary  (Read 6650 times)

Offline Katie2

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: TKR Diary
« Reply #45 on: March 14, 2007, 02:59:49 PM »
7 weeks post op.
Sorry haven't posted for a while. Had another scare a few weeks ago, had my usual physio and once again the physio didn't like the look of the wound very hot,red and swollen. The swelling was also restricting my movement. To cut a long story short she told me to go and see my GP, who then sent me back to the hospital, was then seen by one of my consultants team, anyway had some blood tests they were concerned it might be septic arthritis, all was well just a local infection. Pleased to say all that has cleared up and I feel much better. Had phsio last week doing quiet well with knee bend,but still having problems getting leg straight gave me some different exercises to try and thats improving. Started to drive last week that feels good. I have had my 6week check up with the consultant and despite all the set backs all is looking good. Still taking the occasional painkiller during the day need pain relief mostly at night when the knee really starts to ache. I am going to have another 2 weeks off work and all being well return to work 9 weeks post op. Called into work today it seemed a bit weird, didn't take long before it became familiar everyone glad to see me and wanted to look at my scar, they are a sick lot I work with! I think looking back I expected too much too soon.There is still a way to go my consultant said it will probably take a year before you forget you have got it and to really feel the benefit, it takes a long time for all the swelling etc to go.  I will carry on with the exercises and I have another physio session next week. I really do feel I have now turned the corner.
Dec 04.Pain/stiffness LK
Apr 05.Fell. Damage to RK cartilage & ligaments. OA diagnosed.
Dec 05.RK arthro.No cartilage bone shaved.TKR required told too young.
June 06.LK arthro.Tear in cartilage, trimmed & bone shaved. TKR required.
July 06.Consultant agreed to TKR
Jan 07.Will get a new knee!

Offline Janet

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #46 on: March 14, 2007, 04:20:11 PM »
Katie;

So glad you have "turned the corner." It sounds like you are starting to do "normal" things like drive and get ready to go back to work. I think you're right that we expect too much too soon. And everyone's different in their recovery, so it's hard to compare. But it sounds like you're feeling better about the whole thing, which is definitely good!

Janet
Torn quad tendon repair & VMO advancement 4/99, MUA with LOA 10/99, Patella baja and arthrofibrosis, LR & medial release & LOA 5/01, LOA & chondroplasty 6/03,TKR on 11/06, MUA 12/06. From perfect knees to a TKR in 7 years, all from a fall on a wet floor...and early undiagnosed scar tissue.

Offline L. Thomas.net

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Louann in Tennessee/USA
« Reply #47 on: March 15, 2007, 01:41:55 AM »
I think 7 weeks is about when I started thinking that TKA was not a mistake.
Mulitple Knee surgeries/ TKA: 06  
Left Hip femoroplasty : 08   
Post Op- TKAinTN 06: http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=33906.

Offline Katie2

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #48 on: April 04, 2007, 02:32:46 PM »
10 weeks post-op
Went back to work last week (mid week). Everyone thought how well I looked, I thought they all looked tired! Did a full day, then half a day and then another full day, I was so tired. Decided to work part time this week working a shorter day. Have felt very tired in the evening and my knee does really ache of a night. Better with my knee if I keep on the move as my knee stiffens up if I sit for too long. Still feel there is a way to go yet but glad to be back doing more normal things. I think I under estimated how tired I would be going back to work but pleased to say I am getting there. Still keeping up the exercises which I think is really important. I am looking forward to the Easter break and a couple of family days out. Have a good Easter holiday everyone.

Kate
Dec 04.Pain/stiffness LK
Apr 05.Fell. Damage to RK cartilage & ligaments. OA diagnosed.
Dec 05.RK arthro.No cartilage bone shaved.TKR required told too young.
June 06.LK arthro.Tear in cartilage, trimmed & bone shaved. TKR required.
July 06.Consultant agreed to TKR
Jan 07.Will get a new knee!

support