Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: TKR Diary  (Read 6646 times)

Offline Katie2

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: TKR Diary
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2007, 12:00:40 PM »
Day 20. I rested mostly over the last couple of days. Managed to do the exercises. Knee still feels on the warm side I will continue to take the antibiotics. Still a lot of bruising around the wound, the bruising from the rest of my leg has mostly gone.Knee stiffens up if I don't keep it on the move. I am going to exercise as much as possible I need to get better flection.
Dec 04.Pain/stiffness LK
Apr 05.Fell. Damage to RK cartilage & ligaments. OA diagnosed.
Dec 05.RK arthro.No cartilage bone shaved.TKR required told too young.
June 06.LK arthro.Tear in cartilage, trimmed & bone shaved. TKR required.
July 06.Consultant agreed to TKR
Jan 07.Will get a new knee!

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2007, 01:55:33 PM »
Wow Katie - that must have been very scary - so glad you are okay.

Take it easy with the exercising - don't overdo it and remember the pain meds

Take care
anj
1978 - ruptured acl and all cartalidge removed.
several debridements over years
TKR 10TH JULY 2006 http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=28257.0  Aug 07 patellar maltracking - more physio! Still pain - but so much better !
BIOMET AGC  TKR  (with 10 yr warranty !)

Offline Janet

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2007, 02:57:10 AM »
Katie:

I've been wondering about you since you hadn't posted in a few days. That was a spectacular show you put on for your son! Actually, it must have been horrifying. You definitely did the right thing to call an ambulance. I'm glad it turned out to be something simple. Yes, keep moving your knee, but take it easy. You're only allowed one "gusher" per week!

Keep in touch,
Janet
« Last Edit: February 15, 2007, 01:28:55 AM by Janet »
Torn quad tendon repair & VMO advancement 4/99, MUA with LOA 10/99, Patella baja and arthrofibrosis, LR & medial release & LOA 5/01, LOA & chondroplasty 6/03,TKR on 11/06, MUA 12/06. From perfect knees to a TKR in 7 years, all from a fall on a wet floor...and early undiagnosed scar tissue.

Offline Katie2

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2007, 12:36:23 PM »
Day 22. Thanks for the kind thoughts and advice. Knee certainaly feels better the last few days. I am certainly moving better and I'm sure my flextion is improving. Went out yesterday to see my Mom, and spent the afternoon at my sisters. Nice to have a change of sceney. My sister said although I am on crutches I seem to be moving better than before. Its a different sort of pain in my new knee( post-op I am sure). Knee swelling has gone down a bit and I am sure that is why it is feeling not as tight.Scar looking quite good, no more leakage. Just taking each day as it comes and I can now see an improvement. Take care everyone and thanks for your support.

Kate
Dec 04.Pain/stiffness LK

Offline Katie2

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2007, 01:26:52 PM »
Day 27. Been a bit up and down. Feel like I am not progressing as fast as I would like. I think I am expecting too much to soon. Has anyone else felt like this? Tried to cut down on some of the painkillers as I have been vomitting again. Done a bit more over the weekend went out a couple of times to see some friends had to return earlier as I wasn't feeling too good. Pain from knee always seems worse of a night had to get up around 4am to take some more painkillers.Keep telling myself its not been 4 weeks yet. Still doing the exercises. Physio tomorrow going to ask if there are any other exercises I can do to help with the stiffness.

Kate

Dec 04.Pain/stiffness LK

Offline Janet

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2007, 07:07:07 PM »
Katie:

I think we've all felt like we weren't progressing fast enough. I still feel that way, and I am 3 months post-op. I thought by now I'd be feeling much better than I am. It's not so much that I have so much pain anymore, it's just that I get so tired and my leg feels heavy. But I had a lot of problems my first month, so don't compare with me! I think now I'm about where most peolpe are at 2 months post-op.

Just keep telling yourself, it hasn't even been a month and look how good you're doing! It is a long struggle, but you are through the worst of it. Keep up all the good work and don't be too hard on yourself.

Janet
Torn quad tendon repair & VMO advancement 4/99, MUA with LOA 10/99, Patella baja and arthrofibrosis, LR & medial release & LOA 5/01, LOA & chondroplasty 6/03,TKR on 11/06, MUA 12/06. From perfect knees to a TKR in 7 years, all from a fall on a wet floor...and early undiagnosed scar tissue.

Offline Katie2

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2007, 02:49:44 PM »
Day 30.Went to physio 2 days ago. It seems to be going well Flextion has improved now at 100. Still need to work on straigting leg thats still very painful to do. Checked with physio if I could use an exercise bike, thats okay. Went on it twice yesterday for a short time, a bit painful but its getting easier. Still finding it painful to walk on leg, sure its post op pain not like pain of before. Anyone got any tips on how I can improve straigting of leg?
Dec 04.Pain/stiffness LK

knee deep in Goo

« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2007, 05:47:57 PM »
Here are a few things you can do to help with extenstion.

Can you lay down on your tummy yet?    If so you can hang your legs  off your bed and that should help with extenstion.   
Another thing that can help with extenstion is taking a small childs ball and putting your leg on that and letting gravity drop
Another thing that can help is to sit on a chair and than put your lower leg on say your coffee table and let gravity help.
Another thing I did was to get one of those red yoga balls and I would just put it under my leg  and try to move it around on the bed

One thing I hated .. is when  I went to the PT and she manually tried to push it down .. with all of her weight..  I am talking I was in tears..   when she had to do that I think she did that twice .

Offline dmturner

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2007, 04:04:17 AM »
Hi Katie,

My surgery was the same day as yours, and I think I'm right about where you are.  I can ride a little on the bike, on my own I can get to about 108 (when being pushed by PT 116), still very stiff, and still hurts to walk.  I've been in tears a couple of tiimes over the past two days just cause I'm really tired of it and want to be better right NOW although I know it's gonna take lots of time.  I'm trying to cut down on the pain meds, but I think maybe I have to go up a little again--it may be why I've been so teary.  I have lots of pain on the medial side of my knee when I do quad sets or try to do straight leg raises.  The pain keeps me from being able to keep my leg straight when I try to raise it.  I figure that'll get better as I get stronger and have more time to heal.  I'm having some trouble with being constipated because of the meds too, so that's making me feel a little off.  I saw my OS on Tuesday for my post-op appointment, and he's happy with my progress thus far.  I guess we just need to keep plodding along and we'll eventually get there.

Take care Katie,

Donna T.
9/04 L TPF Plate w/6 screws;
5/05 R Calcaneal Process Fracture Surgery;
2/06 L Hardware Removal & Patellar Debridement;
8/06 R Great Toe Fusion;
1/07 L TKR

Offline L. Thomas.net

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Louann in Tennessee/USA
« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2007, 05:13:22 AM »
  Gee, and I thought I was impatient!!
Really...give it some time.  PT is suppose to be uncomfortable  :P but not painful.. "AAAAGGHGGHGH"  :-X and tears means STOP. 

Uncomfortable means augh gee do I have to do this again. >:( .huff...puff..one more time ugh???

??? Constipation..drink lots of water and eat high fiber cereal..I eat that "cardboard-body-broom" :P :P Fiber One :(
Mulitple Knee surgeries/ TKA: 06  
Left Hip femoroplasty : 08   
Post Op- TKAinTN 06: http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=33906.

knee deep in Goo

« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2007, 07:29:07 AM »
I hate to say it but colace helps and sennakot s ....  I also heard people mixing  Milk of magnesia and prune juice. ..   

Offline Janet

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2007, 04:01:22 PM »
Now this is a topic we don't usually talk about, but we should. I used the Senacot S, too. My home PT suggested it when five days had gone by. She said they usually send patients home from the hospital with a prescription....I wonder why I got missed? With the combination of anesthesia, inactvity and the meds, it's inevitable that you will have constipation. It does get better! I finally got off the one med that seemed to make it the worst.

It's kinda funny that I didn't get a Colace prescription after the TKR, but when I had the MUA they gave me one when I left the hospital. By that time I didn't need it and never got it filled.

Janet

knee deep in Goo

« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2007, 06:10:44 PM »
Oatmeal during the day helps too.

Offline L. Thomas.net

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Louann in Tennessee/USA
« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2007, 09:15:45 PM »
Day 30.Went to physio 2 days ago. It seems to be going well Flextion has improved now at 100. Still need to work on straigting leg thats still very painful to do. Checked with physio if I could use an exercise bike, thats okay. Went on it twice yesterday for a short time, a bit painful but its getting easier. Still finding it painful to walk on leg, sure its post op pain not like pain of before. Anyone got any tips on how I can improve straigting of leg?

I had the same thoughts.."Gee have I mad a mistake".....but I'm just about to move into that "glad I did it it's great" group.  I'm not sure about the straightening.  It seems that I have hyperextended my knee so long to keep it from buckling that it wasn't a problem to get it straight.  Of course that created a big problem too.  The post in my joint replacement was trying to slide around the back of the joint.  I don't know which would be more painful...damned if you do damned if you don't...

I just guess TKA will getya one way or another.
Mulitple Knee surgeries/ TKA: 06  
Left Hip femoroplasty : 08   
Post Op- TKAinTN 06: http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=33906.

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2007, 10:42:01 PM »
Elevate your leg on a chair with the chair far enough away that there is nothing under the back of your leg and just let the leg 'hang' - don't do it for too long at a time as it goes stiff!
« Last Edit: February 25, 2007, 10:46:08 PM by anja »
1978 - ruptured acl and all cartalidge removed.
several debridements over years
TKR 10TH JULY 2006 http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=28257.0  Aug 07 patellar maltracking - more physio! Still pain - but so much better !
BIOMET AGC  TKR  (with 10 yr warranty !)